The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Switching courses...

Hello,
I have received an offer of AAB for BSc Management entry in 2011 :smile: and I am delighted with it. However, if my results end up being A*A*A, which I am hoping they will be, is there ANY chance of switching to BSc Economics now that I already have an offer within the university?

I don't think there is, but if there is any chance...?
Reply 1
Cheeky :smile:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
Transfers into straight econ can only be made after your first year and even then you have to meet specific criteria.
http://econ.lse.ac.uk/study/

You won't be able to do anything about it now so don't worry about it until you've actually started your first year.
Besides, you might really enjoy management.
You'll almost certainly need a 1.1. Given the difficulty of first year Management modules, this means a lack of social life, amazing mathematical aptitude and a freaky work ethic. Likely all three.
Reply 4
You need at least 70% in two out of economics, maths and stats (EC102, MA100 and ST102), as well as at least 60% in the others. In the second term, go speak with the Economics tutor about switching and she'll make you that conditional offer. You're technically not allowed after May, but in theory you can wait till July/early August to get permission.

I know MANY students doing straight Economics with a near perfect set of GCSE and A-level record (i.e. 10 A*s at GCSE and AAAA at A-level) who didn't meet that criteria, so it isn't easy as you may think (they're still doing straight Economics though because they're already enrolled onto the course).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Swayum
You need at least 70% in two out of economics, maths and stats (EC102, MA100 and ST102), as well as at least 60% in the others. In the second term, go speak with the Economics tutor about switching and she'll make you that conditional offer. You're technically not allowed after May, but in theory you can wait till July/early August to get permission.

I know MANY students doing straight Economics with a near perfect set of GCSE and A-level record (i.e. 10 A*s at GCSE and AAAA at A-level) who didn't meet that criteria, so it isn't easy as you may think (they're still doing straight Economics though because they're already enrolled onto the course).

Hey there, I'm currently at LSE studying Economic History with Economics (so my modules are EC102, MA100, EH101 and HY116) but I was wondering do you think the Economics department would let me switch to Economics with Economic History despite my lack of ST102. I think it would be possible because there's no econometrics in that degree but are there any other advanced economics courses that would require stats?

If you do know anything about this, thanks in advance :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending