Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why am I sleeping so much? Watch

I'm a girl and for the past few days, I have lay awake all night and slept well into the day. It started one night when I was up until nearly 6am, totally unable to get to sleep, and I woke up at about 4.30pm the next day. For the past three days, I have woken up at 4.30pm, 5.30pm and 4.30pm.

I have been stressed about my UCAS form, but it's finally sent, so that might have something to do with it. Uni has just finished so maybe I'm just burnt out. But I'm finding it impossible to get back into a normal sleeping pattern. Last night I was awake until past 4am, woke up at 4.30pm but I STILL feel exhausted.

I am also losing weight without trying. How do I get back into a normal sleeping pattern? I don't want to be up until 4am again.

ReputationRep:
    I think it might be because you're tired.

ReputationRep:
    sounds like AIDS

more info -http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS

ReputationRep:
    Try not letting yourself sleep during the day, no matter how tired you are. Then by the time it's night hopefully you'll be able to get to sleep. If that doesn't work after a few days then maybe think about seeing a doctor for some advice/sleeping pills.

ReputationRep:
    :eek:
    Same problem. Will be watching. Help.

ReputationRep:
    It's just your body preparing you for Uni.

(Original post by superwolf)
    Try not letting yourself sleep during the day, no matter how tired you are. Then by the time it's night hopefully you'll be able to get to sleep. If that doesn't work after a few days then maybe think about seeing a doctor for some advice/sleeping pills.
    OK. Yeah, I set my alarm this morning and just slept right through it. Tomorrow I'll get up at about 9 or something.

I would go to the gym to make myself tired enough to sleep earlier at night but it's closed because of the snow. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Wake up at 10am each day. Dont nap or anything during the day. Soon you will be back to a normal sleep pattern

It's happening again. :cry2: Nearly 3am, still wide awake. Been lying in bed for an hour.

ReputationRep:
    Haha, omg. this is so me...
    it takes me ages to fall asleep.. at least 1 hour even when i'm tired!
    i woke up at 6pm today HAHAHA

ReputationRep:
    I don't think it's that you're sleeping too much more that you're sleeping at the wrong time!

I'm somewhat nocturnal too it seems
    I think the best plan is making plans for early in the morning so you have to get up at 9am, then not letting yourslef go to sleep until 10pm or so that night and you should be so tired you'll sleep and hopefully reset your sleeping pattern!

ReputationRep:
    Trust me, I know what its like. I could quite easily sleep 14 hours everynight. Try sleeping with your curtains open to wake you up, set half a dozen alarms all within with a few minutes of each other, get someone to wake you up etc.

If its really affecting you, do an all nighter. Dont have a nap, actually stay up and go to bed about 10. Or get some sleeping pills.

ReputationRep:
    I've heard good reports of getting up at the correct time, consistently (although it can be tough) and letting yourself go to bed when you feel tired enough that you would fall asleep within 20 minutes, max.

This might mean you stay up late and get no sleep a couple of nights, but with no napping you should get a routine back in no time.

Relaxing activities late on too, no engaging your brain!

(Original post by CB91)
    Trust me, I know what its like. I could quite easily sleep 14 hours everynight. Try sleeping with your curtains open to wake you up, set half a dozen alarms all within with a few minutes of each other, get someone to wake you up etc.

If its really affecting you, do an all nighter. Dont have a nap, actually stay up and go to bed about 10. Or get some sleeping pills.
    Nice idea bro! :wizard: *opens curtains*

ReputationRep:
    Same, definitely! Up until about 6am last night, bad times.

ReputationRep:
    I have my sights set on a McD's breakfast at 6am :sogood:, then go to bed.

ReputationRep:
    Damn, that is so like me, but I've been like that for three years now, nothing I can do to change my sleeping habits. :yawn:

OK. Going to try and sleep again now. Will get up at 10am, no matter what. :emo:

ReputationRep:
    Hi sweety.

What are you doing before you get into bed?

Try not to have too much coffee or other stimulants before bed. And read a nice book in bed .

Just calm down about it for a few days and just live like usual and see what happens.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat right and look after yourself.
    Try to do some exercise during the day aswell.

It didn't work. I only woke up at 1pm because my phone rang.

(Original post by AniMcD)
    Hi sweety.

What are you doing before you get into bed?

Try not to have too much coffee or other stimulants before bed. And read a nice book in bed .

Just calm down about it for a few days and just live like usual and see what happens.

Make sure you drink plenty of water and eat right and look after yourself.
    Try to do some exercise during the day aswell.
    I usually read before bed, or watch TV. I have cut down the amount of caffeine I have at night. I haven't been drinking lots of water, eating much or exercising ... I have no appetite for some reason. Maybe you're right and that is my problem. xxx

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.