Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This is part of a question :

""A freely falling object has a speed of 5m/s""

Firstly, is it right to use this value as velocity when it says speed? And if i do use this as initial velocity in my equations, will it be positive or negative?

Ive seen that with forces, positive is the convention for forward /up while negative is the convention for down/backwards. So isn't this supposed to be negative as its acting downwards...?

And also for the equation F=ma, is it true that F is only for the resultant force?

Eg. If a person is running to the right with a force of 5N but a force of 4n is acting to the left. And given that he is accelerating rigtwards at 4m/s^2`, what is the
    persons mass?
    So is it 1/4 or 4/1 ?

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by princejan7)
    This is part of a question :

""A freely falling object has a speed of 5m/s""

Firstly, is it right to use this value as velocity when it says speed? And if i do use this as initial velocity in my equations, will it be positive or negative?

Ive seen that with forces, positive is the convention for forward /up while negative is the convention for down/backwards. So isn't this supposed to be negative as its acting downwards...?

And also for the equation F=ma, is it true that F is only for the resultant force?

Eg. If a person is running to the right with a force of 5N but a force of 4n is acting to the left. And given that he is accelerating rigtwards at 4m/s^2`, what is the
    persons mass?
    So is it 1/4 or 4/1 ?

Thanks!
    naturally, people presume up to be positive like the y and x axis for a quadrant graph. as long u keep the forces up and down with the same sign its fine. the answer to ur f=ma is 1/4kg. and yes f represents resultant force =)

ReputationRep:
    It doesn't matter which way is +ve or -ve, make it watever you want. But opposite direction is the -ve of the first direction

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.