Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else not started revising yet? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm feeling really quite uneasy now, I'm a HUGE procrastinator and I just can't get that motivation to just pick up a book. I know once I start, I'll carry on myself, it's just that initial get-go that I need.
    I think it's maybe because I know I have 3 weeks left which seems like AGES but I know it really isn't. And I'm guessing AS is not like GCSE where I can read the book the night before and walk out with A*?
    Does anyone else feel like this? And can someone please give me a cyber kick up the a** to get off my butt and go revise?

ReputationRep:
    I havent started revising yet
    and im bloody ashamed
    I have A2s
    I will start tomorrow, i promise

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaunebanane)
    *Gives huge cyber kick up the ass* there, you can get off your butt and go revise now

In all seriousness though you don't have to start properly revising but you could just read over some of your notes to make sure you get everything, maybe do some reading around so you have an extended knowledge of particular areas...? I feel the same way which is why I'm starting off slowly for everything - apart from maths that is as M1 is in January aaa
    eugh i know i should be doing some 'light' revision to start off with, but i just can't be bothered i always just get distracted by the silliest little things - today during my 'revision' time I was playing Mario Kart with my little bro =| not a very productive hour.

ReputationRep:
    im so stressed is it too late? I have psychology unit 1, I.t and business AS retakes in Jan what shall i do - is it worth it i want top B's minimum!

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    I'm feeling really quite uneasy now, I'm a HUGE procrastinator and I just can't get that motivation to just pick up a book. I know once I start, I'll carry on myself, it's just that initial get-go that I need.
    I think it's maybe because I know I have 3 weeks left which seems like AGES but I know it really isn't. And I'm guessing AS is not like GCSE where I can read the book the night before and walk out with A*?
    Does anyone else feel like this? And can someone please give me a cyber kick up the a** to get off my butt and go revise?
    this is so me
    i was meant to do 3 hours of chemistry today. i did 0 hours of anything. really have to start 2mrw

ReputationRep:
    Yep. Although I do have 1 exam only this January.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CullenLoverX)
    I am exactly the same, I keep making excuses to myself, "I'll start tomorrow" "I've got 3 weeks yet" etc... My personal favourite is when I'm on the computer and I open up a BBC Bitesize tab (next to facebook, truelad, bbc sport and TSR) but don't even look at it, but then of course it feels like I've done some revision and I'll use that as an excuse for not doing any the rest of the week.

Todays excuse was that it's too close too Xmas to revise, so of course I'll be saying the same thing about New Years after Xmas and then before I know it, it'll be Sunday the 9th and I'll have a mental breakdown. :cry2:

ReputationRep:
    I have a 3000 word bit of coursework to do, an assignment and 3 exams to revise for and havent started anything...Oh well, back to iplayer I go!

Just realised this is for a levels but who cares.

ReputationRep:
    I have a D1 exam, an S1 exam, a C2 exam, a C3 exam, an Ethics exam and an English Lit exam, all in January... And rather than doing anything about it, I'm on TSR telling everyone about it.

ReputationRep:
    RIGHT TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE PROCRASTINATING:

Basically 3 weeks or 5 weeks (for those doing A2's) may seem a world away but to obtain those top grades I'd suggest 3 weeks is the minimum required to cover everything throughly and gain enough exam practice to go in confident and prepared.

I find the most effective way to motivate is to set targets. Decide now what you are going to aim to achieve every day. For example I have a Biology and a Chemistry exam in 5 weeks. My play consists of covering 1 Biology chapter a day in the next week and one Chemistry chapter every 3 day over the the next 9 days. Following that I will use the remaining 6 - 8 days doing past exam papers and recapping those chapters I found the hardest first time around.

This then leaves me 3 weeks or in the case of those with AS's 1 week to do as many past papers/as much general practice where you feel is needed as possible.

This method worked very well for me last year but I did work hard over Christmas to meet my target of learning the vast majority of work over the Christmas holidays and using the last week just to finish up on those chapters which I'd not quite fully covered or found harder during the holidays.

Setting clear targets and working hard to achieve what you set out to do is much more likely to have the desired effect than just revising randomly.

Also don't waste time worrying about how much time you have left. Obviously incorporate how long you have left into your plan but just remember any time used worrying about not having enough time is just wasting valuable revision time. Start now and you can most definitely achieve the top grades if you work for it.

As for revision technique - it varies from person to person. Personally I find cutting my notes down into bullet point form and going over the bullet points until I can say them all back works very well. I work through a page slowly making sure I can recite what I am reading without looking at the paper and when I can remember all the key bullet points without looking down I move on to the next page. Coming back to pages the next day and trying to recite them lets me know if I've learnt that page or not and I keep note of the topics I'm struggling to remember and focus my attention on them.

This might not work for everyone but I found it effective. It may seem time consuming but it ensures you are 100% sure of all the information by the exam and being able to remember the pages and the order of the bullet points helps make information memorable and progressively linked.

It's also important to do as many past questions and papers as you can - I usually focus on doing this in the last week or two before the exam (obviously having done some sort of practice questions before this point) as this helps to focus key or recurring themes in my head for the exam and helps me pick up on where I am lacking in detail or where my answers are consistently wrong.

It might sound like common sense but have a clear plan and know what you want to achieve. Have regular breaks but remind yourself of your target for the day and make sure you meet it! 3 weeks covering everything is much easier than 1 week and make sure you remind yourself of that!

Good luck all.

ReputationRep:
    I only have one exam and I haven't started revising yet.

I might start later on today but I have zero motivation.

ReputationRep:
    For people doing A2 modules, you can't gain the higher grades A*/A/B without doing alot of practice questions. Just think of your future, in this increasingly tough economic climate, there's more well qualified people than there are jobs. Good exam results do matter, employers filter applicants in some careers based on the A-Level grades achieved. Don't worry too much though, even those that retake A-Levels are able to turn their lives around. I know of my brothers friend, he took his A-Levels again after a few yrs, and he emerged with 4 A-Levels all at A and B grades, his secret was clear. Make sure you understand all the definitions, the core concepts, the methods, and above all make sure you're familiar with the mark schemes. Past papers are the best source of revision, so start practicing, do as many past papers as you can. Make a sacrifice, study hard now, so you don't have to retake any modules in June. Even if you do enough revision for a few modules, even that will ensure you've achieved something worthwhile. Remember, that the new reforms being introduced means, it's in your best interests to achieve your exam grades before the new exams
    Take regular breaks every 20mins of 5mins and then continue, do your hardest topics first. Once you're confident with the most difficult topics, for example in Statistics, people often struggle with Probaility and Normal Distribution. In Chemistry some people struggle with Calculations. In Maths some people struggle with Logarithms and Trigonmetry and more so Integrals. Start your revision today, there is enough time to cover the entire AS syllabus, and much of the A2 as long as you begin today, once it's the end of the month, then your chances of success will not be as good as if you begin your revision today!

ReputationRep:
    i haven't started yet.. don't plan on starting until the new year. i'm not worried.

ReputationRep:
    For a week been panning to get starting. Promises are made to be broken.

Some sort of electric shock will get us going for that last lap.
    well i'm beleiever of " who else other than an engineering student can know the importance of last night study."

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hiyarearl)
    RIGHT TO ALL THOSE WHO ARE PROCRASTINATING:

Basically 3 weeks or 5 weeks (for those doing A2's) may seem a world away but to obtain those top grades I'd suggest 3 weeks is the minimum required to cover everything throughly and gain enough exam practice to go in confident and prepared.

I find the most effective way to motivate is to set targets. Decide now what you are going to aim to achieve every day. For example I have a Biology and a Chemistry exam in 5 weeks. My play consists of covering 1 Biology chapter a day in the next week and one Chemistry chapter every 3 day over the the next 9 days. Following that I will use the remaining 6 - 8 days doing past exam papers and recapping those chapters I found the hardest first time around.

This then leaves me 3 weeks or in the case of those with AS's 1 week to do as many past papers/as much general practice where you feel is needed as possible.

This method worked very well for me last year but I did work hard over Christmas to meet my target of learning the vast majority of work over the Christmas holidays and using the last week just to finish up on those chapters which I'd not quite fully covered or found harder during the holidays.

Setting clear targets and working hard to achieve what you set out to do is much more likely to have the desired effect than just revising randomly.

Also don't waste time worrying about how much time you have left. Obviously incorporate how long you have left into your plan but just remember any time used worrying about not having enough time is just wasting valuable revision time. Start now and you can most definitely achieve the top grades if you work for it.

As for revision technique - it varies from person to person. Personally I find cutting my notes down into bullet point form and going over the bullet points until I can say them all back works very well. I work through a page slowly making sure I can recite what I am reading without looking at the paper and when I can remember all the key bullet points without looking down I move on to the next page. Coming back to pages the next day and trying to recite them lets me know if I've learnt that page or not and I keep note of the topics I'm struggling to remember and focus my attention on them.

This might not work for everyone but I found it effective. It may seem time consuming but it ensures you are 100% sure of all the information by the exam and being able to remember the pages and the order of the bullet points helps make information memorable and progressively linked.

It's also important to do as many past questions and papers as you can - I usually focus on doing this in the last week or two before the exam (obviously having done some sort of practice questions before this point) as this helps to focus key or recurring themes in my head for the exam and helps me pick up on where I am lacking in detail or where my answers are consistently wrong.

It might sound like common sense but have a clear plan and know what you want to achieve. Have regular breaks but remind yourself of your target for the day and make sure you meet it! 3 weeks covering everything is much easier than 1 week and make sure you remind yourself of that!

Good luck all.
    Great post. Thank you for this.

Would this method apply to subjects like decision maths and psychology aswell ?

Also what tips would you give for trying to improve exam technique, because a lot of the paper is marked on exam technique and knowledge of the specification.

Is there anyway someone can improve their exam technique, aside from doing countless past papers and going over mark schemes.

Also what would you suggest if my modules are from a new specification, so there aren't a lot of past papers about, like there is for other subjects.

How many hours a day would you on average be revising from now until mid january ?

Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    fml no, i really need to but i really cba. I've got one exam and it's geography so i'm ****ed.

ReputationRep:
    I started yesterday, but I'm really bad at revising D:
    For my GCSE's I was one of the lucky few who could revise for half an hour the night before and come out with As and A*s, but I know it's not going to work for A levels.
    I only have one exam in January (Psychology) but I'm really panicking about it, because the teacher didn't cover anything in great detail. Now I have 3 weeks to go over
    - 6 Key approaches
    - Biopsychology

I can honestly say the only thing I'm slightly confident with is one of the Key approaches :|

Atm to revise (I'm only up to the key approaches so far) I'm just reading through my notes, making a power point on each approach and bringing the title of the slide up and trying to remember as much as possible before I click for the information to come up. Eg, one slide is called 'Psycho sexual stages', so I try to write down as much as I can before I click forward and the info comes up. Then I answer a couple of exam questions on it. It's working okay so far, but I know I'll have to do more for it to stay in my head :|

I'm such a procrastinator too, I told myself I'd finish two approaches today, and instead I've done one and now I'm reading through TSR posts :')

ReputationRep:
    hmm well i started today, finally. did around 3 hours (NOT continuously) now rewarding myself with TSR :P

what about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    Got 2 exams,not worried about English really but Geography And we have loads of synoptic stuff to prepare. I've been off school a week and haven't started revising properly.
    In my defence,I have been ill and bedbound after catching laryngitis from a rock star :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.