The Student Room Group

Your blood type?

Scroll to see replies

O+. Been meaning to go to donate again for a while now.

Just last time I hated it, the nurse didn't do it very well and hurt loads (went with my boyfriend's mum who is a nurse and she said no wonder it was so painful as the needle was in at a funny angle) and then the nurse kept saying that I wouldn't fill enough up in the ten minutes I was allowed. I didn't see the point of letting my blood go to waste and so clenched my hand even more and in the end I had a full bag. Then I nearly fainted, the nurse even told me maybe I shouldn't come back again because I was so difficult. I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say tbh so it has put me off going again :frown:
Reply 81
AB-
Good question :sherlock: blood type o I think :shrug: dont ask me positive or negative. I could be negative but I am not 100% positive on that.
Original post by lolololol
O+. Been meaning to go to donate again for a while now.

Just last time I hated it, the nurse didn't do it very well and hurt loads (went with my boyfriend's mum who is a nurse and she said no wonder it was so painful as the needle was in at a funny angle) and then the nurse kept saying that I wouldn't fill enough up in the ten minutes I was allowed. I didn't see the point of letting my blood go to waste and so clenched my hand even more and in the end I had a full bag. Then I nearly fainted, the nurse even told me maybe I shouldn't come back again because I was so difficult. I thought that was a pretty mean thing to say tbh so it has put me off going again :frown:

Just go. Dont let the rudeness and incompetence of one person stop you saving a life. I am not sure for the blood service but some people who draw blood are not doctors or nurses. They are Phlebotomists. People merely certified to draw blood. :hug: Dont feel discouraged
O+ On the blood donor register too :proud:
Original post by Gemma2010
Isn't +ve or -ve O the rarest being recessive and all

Not in the UK, due to luck of the draw, the O allele had a very high frequency amongst our 'ancestors' or whatever :smile: Logically, it should be, but actually according to NHS stats I got when I gave blood, B- is the rarest :smile:

And I'm A+, and I have given blood once, and have another appointment booked in Jan :smile: I'm also terrified of needles and had a near panic attack when I did it last time, it's worth it to save someones life :smile:
Reply 86
I'm not saying you're fat but...
You're blood type's Ragu
Original post by House of Jonny
Just go. Dont let the rudeness and incompetence of one person stop you saving a life. I am not sure for the blood service but some people who draw blood are not doctors or nurses. They are Phlebotomists. People merely certified to draw blood. :hug: Dont feel discouraged

Aw thanks :smile: I know I should go soon. I know I don't like it but you're right, I could save someone's life. I'm ill at the moment so hopefully when I'm better I can find a session. I think I will go when I am back at uni, maybe I will get someone nicer at a different place. :smile:
O+, common - but easy to share :smile:

Unfortunately I've only given blood once, because after that donation they changed protocol and so on my past 2 attempts they haven't been able to get a needle in to my tiny veins.
Original post by lolololol
Aw thanks :smile: I know I should go soon. I know I don't like it but you're right, I could save someone's life. I'm ill at the moment so hopefully when I'm better I can find a session. I think I will go when I am back at uni, maybe I will get someone nicer at a different place. :smile:

Hopefully. A lot of people will do a nasty thing or say a nasty thing but they dont know squat. Tell them to **** off be it real or in your mind. Because nasty people fall first. Nice people fall last.

Get better soon though. **** pep speech I know lol. Let me give you a hug: :hug:
Original post by Cynthi007
I know what you mean. :-)

I have 0- too.

We can give blood to everybody but can only receive 0-, which is by the way the rarest type. But that is the reason for me to donate my blood. I don´t get money for it but a friendly smile, kind words and something to eat and drink for free. :-) It is just enough for me to save lives with just a few of my own blood, which I can give for free. I would engage everybody to do that. Maybe you will be in bthe situation that you will need it some time.

So I change the poll. :smile: who of you donates blood?

AB- (my type :haughty:) is the rarest. O- is pretty rare and also very useful, about 7% ... but AB- is 1%.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 91
Original post by aeterno
O-

Don't take my blood :ninja:

Get your butt to the donation booths now. :stomp:
I don't have blood
Original post by Gemma2010
Isn't +ve or -ve O the rarest being recessive and all

No, AB- is, see right at the bottom. http://www.blood.co.uk/about-blood/blood-group-basics/
Reply 94
Dunno, I want to somehow :P
But then even if I know and people want to drag me down to the blood station, I'm not going, I had sex with a man so yea.
*Change of law needed, what if no one else is avaliable and they die, do I sue the gov? :P*
b+
A+
HIV. Seriously, A-...I don't understand why people want rare blood, you know if you need it theres going to be less of it right?
Original post by ms607
It's actually nice to see someone who gives blood that hates needles :P

Yea, it's worth it tho :smile: my twin hates needles too but won't give blood, I can't make her tho lol. It's up to her.
P.s. Another Northern Irish here whoop :biggrin:

Original post by Cynthi007
I do it regularly and I am also a bit tired afterwards but that is ok. Women have to pause 3 months here before they could go to donate blood again. I will go in january. The red cross send me a chip card with a sensor. they called me whether I want to particiüate a new programme. I agreed. Why not? I
am not skinny.

0 + rules?? why? 0- is universal helper for all. :-P

Yea, I know :frown: wish I was a universal donor. Tho O+ rules cos it's my blood group! Lol oj :smile: And good for you for getting past your fear :biggrin:
I'm donating tomorrow :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending