The Student Room Group

Is this illegal?

Basically, I had to call in sick to work last week and I have recently told my boss that I cannot work until 12:00am for the next 4 weeks. (All truthful things with valid reasons)

When I went into work today I found out that my boss had forced one of my colleagues to show her my facebook profile so that she could check whether I was being truthful about being ill etc. My boss even had screen shots of my facebook wall on pieces of paper she'd printed out.

Is she even allowed to do this?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
:rofl:
I'd be more worried about your job if you were telling porkies.
Reply 3
If you have your profile set to private or have limited details [I dont use facebook] to people who aren't on your friends list then yes, I reckon she is invading your privacy.
Reply 4
I don't think it's illegal, but it is an invasion of privacy.
Reply 5
Nope, not illegal at all AFAIK. Immoral however...
Well it's not illegal..
Your boss is checking up on you on the internet? That **** is scandalous, yo. Best go and post something publicly on the internet accusing her of illegal conduct, that's the sensible option.
not sure about illegal, but impolite and invasion of privacy yes.
but if you were ill and have legitimate reasons for not being able to work till silly hours you have nothing to worry about, i actually have my boss as a friend on facebook, but not for that reason (although it could back up my case if i were really ill)
It's in the public domain isn't it? So no.
Reply 10
It's hardly sue-able material, but really... you did get owned, didn't you? :P
Mate, better close this thread or your boss will have screen shots of this too.
Quick, post how much your hate your boss on FB!

oh wait..
Not illegal what so ever.
No, it is not.
Reply 15
You made it public, so it's perfectly legal for her to do so. It was a breech of trust nd privacy though, which was wrong, but yet not actually illegal.
Anything you post into the public domain is just that...
Reply 17
What would you do if screenshots of this thread came up on your boss's screen next time you went in? :nooo:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending