Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I m referring to the write up of the Core practicals,Part 1 which doesn t include the Issue Report.
    If you don t do all of them(I m having difficulty,doing them as a distance learner)how many marks would I miss out on?
    Thanks +rep

ReputationRep:
    what subject? :dontknow:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ilyking)
    what subject? :dontknow:
    as edexcel biology
    I don t want to sound smart,but this is the biology forum.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hissyfit)
    as edexcel biology
    I don t want to sound smart,but this is the biology forum.
    sorry for not paying attention.

are you sitting edexcel salters nuffields advanced biology?

in that case NO, the core practical write ups (about 8 of them I believe) have no value to your UMS.

But that depends if your college makes you sit the SNAB edexcel which I have to put up with

ReputationRep:
    sorry for not paying attention.

are you sitting edexcel salters nuffields advanced biology?

in that case NO, the core practical write ups (about 8 of them I believe) have no value to your UMS.

But that depends if your college makes you sit the SNAB edexcel which I have to put up with
    Yep,I m doing SNAB.If If I have some that I did & wrote up,what happens then?
    What do you mean by : have no value to your UMS?

Btw do you have any idea what Snap & Twist Plastic wire is,I need it to do 1 of the practicals but don t know what I am looking for.(I live abroad)

ReputationRep:
    Yep,I m doing SNAB.If If I have some that I did & wrote up,what happens then?
    What do you mean by : have no value to your UMS?

Btw do you have any idea what Snap & Twist Plastic wire is,I need it to do 1 of the practicals but don t know what I am looking for.(I live abroad)
    what I mean by UMS is your overall grade i.e. 240/300 marks (or 240/300 UMS) you have scraped an A grade. 270/300 UMS is an A* (can only be awarded if you have finished A2 biology).

So core practicals have absolutely no value what so ever. However, in the exam they ask you basic questions about the core practicals, for example, in the Daphnia experiment (one of the core practicals) they may ask you to describe how you would carry out that experiment in detail.

CGP revision books contains all the core practicals for biology and how to do them, so get the book and just memorise all the core practicals word for word.

Colleges only make you do the core practical (realistically, so they can endow us with lab skills for university) + we remember the core practical better having actually done it for real.

"nap & Twist Plastic wire" No idea what you are talking about here sorry.

ReputationRep:
    what I mean by UMS is your overall grade i.e. 240/300 marks (or 240/300 UMS) you have scraped an A grade. 270/300 UMS is an A* (can only be awarded if you have finished A2 biology).

So core practicals have absolutely no value what so ever. However, in the exam they ask you basic questions about the core practicals, for example, in the Daphnia experiment (one of the core practicals) they may ask you to describe how you would carry out that experiment in detail.

CGP revision books contains all the core practicals for biology and how to do them, so get the book and just memorise all the core practicals word for word.

Colleges only make you do the core practical (realistically, so they can endow us with lab skills for university) + we remember the core practical better having actually done it for real.

"nap & Twist Plastic wire" No idea what you are talking about here sorry.
    Thanks,the thing is that there is this sheet (attached that my tutor has to send off to Edexcel,what happens if you don t send it to them/tutor won t fill it in completely...
    Will learn all the core practicals in CGP,thanks a million
    Good to know it carries no marks
    Attached Files
  1. File Type: docbiology-GCE-cwrc.doc (81.0 KB, 323 views)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks,the thing is that there is this sheet (attached that my tutor has to send off to Edexcel,what happens if you don t send it to them/tutor won t fill it in completely...
    Will learn all the core practicals in CGP,thanks a million
    Good to know it carries no marks
    I have this sheet.

If I were you I'd just tick all of them. If you have to self-teach there is NO WAY in which they can track whether or not you are lying. Just memorise all the core practicals. :devil:

A few people in my class didn't do some of the core practical write ups. So it can be really quick and rough, no need to spend hours on it like most coursework. I literally do mine within 15 minutes (just copied out of CGP and tailored it into my own words)

ReputationRep:
    I have this sheet.

If I were you I'd just tick all of them. If you have to self-teach there is NO WAY in which they can track whether or not you are lying. Just memorise all the core practicals. :devil:

A few people in my class didn't do some of the core practical write ups. So it can be really quick and rough, no need to spend hours on it like most coursework. I literally do mine within 15 minutes (just copied out of CGP and tailored it into my own words)
    thing is my tutor has to tick them according to my written up practicals & they are v.different to the CGP ones as I m using stuff that is supposed to be available in shops,but that s not always the case...
    Since its got no marks,whatever you get for that sheet,it doesn t matter,as long as you ve done most of them right?

ReputationRep:
    Any idea what happens when there are some reports that aren t submitted?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.