Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you like your teeth? Watch

I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Does it turn you off when a girl has a gap between her teeth?
    Any advice? Do you like your teeth?

ReputationRep:
    I hate my teeth, they're really ****ing two-faced

ReputationRep:
    Get a brace, it will be worth it trust me

ReputationRep:
    Before i got braces there were complete crap, but afterwards, i'm liking the way they look now. Colours a bit off, but i drink a lot of tea and coffee so i guess thats where the problem lies. :P

ReputationRep:
    I have a gap between my front teeth too. I would like to see how I would look with un-gapped teeth but I'm not willing to pay hundreds of pounds for the priviledge.

ReputationRep:
    My teeth would be awesome if they were white as they are straight and well spaced. However, they are yellow and have been for as long as I can remember.

Yes I do brush twice a day for two minutes for anyone who thinks yellow teeth means I must not brush. They are naturally yellow.

ReputationRep:
    meh... mine are not the best in terms of being totally straight,
    but i think they're of a size where i don't look like a horse, have always been sufficiently white (never had them bleached or anything), filling-less and pain-free so i'm not complaining x

ReputationRep:
    I had braces for 2 years. I absolutely hated them, now I'm so thankful I had them; my teeth are perfectly straight now with no gaps.

ReputationRep:
    Meh, they're fine. Never had braces though.

Go for braces if that's what you want though.

Btw, I'm waiting for someone to make a witty KMT comment...:awesome:

ReputationRep:
    Listerine is good for yellow teeth - and don't drink too much tea/coffee. Teeth aren't naturally yellow - there's usually something you can do about it x

(Original post by Bleak)
    My teeth would be awesome if they were white as they are straight and well spaced. However, they are yellow and have been for as long as I can remember.

Yes I do brush twice a day for two minutes for anyone who thinks yellow teeth means I must not brush. They are naturally yellow.

ReputationRep:
    My teeth are a bit goofy, my dentists told me when I was younger that I didn't need braces, however looking back I wished I just ignored their advice. If I get them now it would cost a bomb and would look pretty ugly for a year or two!

Get braces if you want to get them, wish I did.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, even though my teeth are crooked. I had an overbite which took 2 years of wearing a brace at night to correct, by which point I was 16. I was then told that if I wanted to have them straightened as well, because it was too late, I would need them for 4 years at least. There was no way I was going to have them untill I was 20.

It's not that I have anything against wearing braces other than the discomfort, but I personally had no problem with my teeth and them being crooked never worried be before in my life and suddently all these people were telling me to have them fixed. So I said I wouldn't, just to make a point They're also chipped quite a bit from injuries when I was little lol They're not like horrible though, they're not perfect but they're not gross. I have no fillings

ReputationRep:
    I hate my teeth, I'd definately have gone with a brace had I had the choice!
    My Mum said it was unnessesary (sp?) as well, but I really wish I'd pushed her for them.
    Whenever I bring it up now, she says 'well they're part of your personality, straight teeth aren't natural!' so conversation closed.

Its up to you, maybe tell her that its really affecting your confidence? That might help the situation

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I really hate my teeth- I have a gap between my two front teeth so I never smile, and often cover my mouth whn I laugh..
    I really want to get braces but my mum says it's not 'necessary', and I don't know how to persuade her to let me get them (I'm fifteen so it would free).

Get braces if you are unhappy. May as well get them now rather than regretting later.

I think my teeth are alright, never had major problems with them, although I have 2 chips on one of the front top ones which can get annoying but they are only small

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bexj)
    Listerine is good for yellow teeth - and don't drink too much tea/coffee. Teeth aren't naturally yellow - there's usually something you can do about it x
    I don't drink tea, coffee, fizzy drinks or red wine. I use listerine, whitening toothpaste and my teeth continue to be yellow.

ReputationRep:
    They're alright. My two front teeth stick out a little bit, but my dentist didn't think I needed braces and I quite like how they look. I clean them religiously as well.

ReputationRep:
    Spacing is good and wonkyness is non existent, I brush twice a day for however long my brush goes on until it beeps at me, but they remain rather yellow :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bleak)
    I don't drink tea, coffee, fizzy drinks or red wine. I use listerine, whitening toothpaste and my teeth continue to be yellow.
    I assume you're a non-smoker?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)

Teeth are one of the first things you notice about a person
    Though a gap is by no means a bad thing!
    It can look quite endearing. It's more the quality of your teeth rather than how far they are apart that will be noticed.
    If it's really bothering you though, pester your ma into submission :p:

ReputationRep:
    I used to hate my teeth - they were really overcrowded and my canines (?) were like halfway up my gum (like the bottom of them was where the top of my other teeth were). I was told I'd have to wear braces for 3 years but it ended up only being just over a year cause they moved really quickly. Now I love my teeth and I'm so glad I had my braces, even if I had to wear them till I was 18. I need to get 2 wisdom teeth taken out this year though, apparently I have 6 instead of 4 lol.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.