Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

First of all apologies if this has already been covered - please point me to the right thread (despite having a LOT of coffee today, I feel like my brain has started melting)!

I am filling in my GTTR application and in the Education section, it asks to list your "Main Degree Subjects" and then "Other Subjects in Your Degree", with a space to fill in how much time was spent/credits were obtained.

My degree is a BSc Forensic Investigation, from a Scottish University. It covers, roughly, chemistry, biology, physics, engineering, law and psychology. Should I group together all the chemistry modules (despite them having separate names like Organic Chemistry, Chemical Quality Assurance, Practical Scientific Skills etc) under Chemistry and record the time spent/credit obtained for the group, or list them separately? Should I then put psychology and law in the 'Other Subjects in Your Degree' section - I am applying for a PGCE in Science (with Chemistry).

The other question is, do I put down time spent or SCOTCAT points? In the '?' help point on the application, it says to put down the answer as percentage of total time spent, so should I just put it down in hours? Will they know that this is what I mean? As far as I am aware, 1 credit point is worth 10 hours of student effort, so it should be easy enough to calculate... I think!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nat

ReputationRep:
    Dont use hours, it has to be in % terms! Figure out how many points made up your degree. Then check how many points each module was worth.

Example
    If your degree is made up of 24 modules (8 modules a year for 3 years) all worth the same number of points then each module would be worth 4% (since you must round to the nearest whole %) However 24 x 4 = 96. And your tally must = 100. So in this instance you would put twenty modules down as being worth 4% each and four modules down as being worth 5% each.

I was confused by the "main subjects" and "other subjects" section but opted to put every module individually under the Main Subjects section except the elective module in Politics that I took in my first year which I put in the Other Subjects section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nat87)
    Hello,

First of all apologies if this has already been covered - please point me to the right thread (despite having a LOT of coffee today, I feel like my brain has started melting)!

I am filling in my GTTR application and in the Education section, it asks to list your "Main Degree Subjects" and then "Other Subjects in Your Degree", with a space to fill in how much time was spent/credits were obtained.

My degree is a BSc Forensic Investigation, from a Scottish University. It covers, roughly, chemistry, biology, physics, engineering, law and psychology. Should I group together all the chemistry modules (despite them having separate names like Organic Chemistry, Chemical Quality Assurance, Practical Scientific Skills etc) under Chemistry and record the time spent/credit obtained for the group, or list them separately? Should I then put psychology and law in the 'Other Subjects in Your Degree' section - I am applying for a PGCE in Science (with Chemistry).

The other question is, do I put down time spent or SCOTCAT points? In the '?' help point on the application, it says to put down the answer as percentage of total time spent, so should I just put it down in hours? Will they know that this is what I mean? As far as I am aware, 1 credit point is worth 10 hours of student effort, so it should be easy enough to calculate... I think!

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Nat
    Hi there,
    Not sure it was corect but it worked for me (confirmed secondary PGCE place).
    I was lucky that my degree certificate info came with a complete breakdown of all the modules I took and their associated credits. I simply copied them all done with their credits and that was it. I didn't bother bunching them together or working out % etc. If it is obvious in the title of the module what 'subject' it falls into you should be ok when they come to read it.
    It might not be correct for all uni's but, like I say, it worked for me.

Milly xx

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I was just wondering - if you are applying while still studying your degree, does the form ask for the marks have you got for each module that you've completed? Someone said this section is more about checking subject content than the grades, but I thought they would want to know about how you have done so far. (Or do they use your reference to get an idea of your progress?)

Cheers.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 17, 2011
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.