Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I was hoping to get some advice/thoughts from people also interesting in/already attending medical school. I am currently taking an undergraduate degree in mathematics at Swansea University, finishing 2012. I am hoping/expecting to get a upper second/first class degree. I am thinking about medical school after this. However the problem with this is my A-levels. I will put it bluntly, while studying my A-levels particularly at AS level I did not study as well as I could have and should have, which is reflected in my grades. At AS I obtained an E in Biology, an E in mathematics, a D in Physical Education and a B in History...shocking, i know. Eventually I came out with a C in mathematics, a C in physical education and an A in history(mainly because I had a great teacher). I realise not taking chemistry at A-level is a big issue as well. I was wondering how medical schools would see these qualifications once I obtain the degree?:confused:
    Thanks in advance

ReputationRep:
    I'm not a medical applicant.. But I'm presuming it's a little similar to dentistry & I've looked into graduate entry in case I need to apply for a different course..

For dental schools who do graduate entry, they look for a first class degree or at least a 2:1 degree and it has to be in a medical-related course.. But I'm not sure if it's the same for medical schools, but I'm presuming it's quite similar..
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Have a look at the GEM page on the wiki. It answers most of the questions you've asked.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot for the advice. The GEM page was very helpful!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xPixie)
    But I'm not sure if it's the same for medical schools, but I'm presuming it's quite similar..
    It usually doesn't have to be a medicine/science degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.