Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been looking for a good portable projector because my tv isn't portable, and my netbook has a 11" screen. Anyone have any suggestions?? Portability is a key feature I am looking for.

I have found two options in my google search. The benq "joybee gp1" and a rather unknown company aaxa tech "m2".

Any thoughts?

Cheers.

ReputationRep:
    Out of the two I'd probably choose the 2nd option (slightly brighter and slightly better resolution)

However I'm not sure I'd buy either. I think you'll find you can only get a fairly small picture in a dark room.

For comparison I've got a projector that's 2200 lumens (compared to 100 or 110 for the two projectors you've listed). I can get an image that's similar size to what the 2nd projector claims as it's max size and in sunny conditions I can't see an image from it.

You might do better getting a cheap monitor. It'll probably cost less, give a better picture and work if there's light around as well.

ReputationRep:
    Yea I was leaning towards the second option as well because of the better resolution. Native XGA 1024x768 is pretty good for a micro projector.
    Since the m2 seems like a better option I looked into it and I did find some great reviews for it. There is even a picture that shows 100".

M2 Review

ReputationRep:
    I decided to go with your suggestion and get the aaxa tech m2. Hope it doesn't take too long to come in.

I'll give some feedback once it comes in, just encase anyone else is curious.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks again for your help! My m2 finally came in the other day and I couldn't be happier. I thought the reviews were decent and maybe a little bit polished, but I was wrong. Those reviews were spot on. They should have mentioned how insanely large the power adapter is... minor details.

The colors are bright and vivid, and not unrealistic like you typically see in dlp or lcd. It has XGA 1024x768 resolution. I found that there are a ton of user settings that allow you to change the color saturation, temperature, contrast, brightness, keystone, & orientation. And since it comes with hdmi I was able to hook it up with my ps3 and android tablet without any problems.
    The only negative comment I may have deals with the fan noise. It can get annoying at times, especially if you don't use the tripod.

One big advantage, that I just thought of now is that since it comes with LED bulb, I don't have to ever replace it. It is rated to last anywhere from 10-15k hours. Much longer than a typical projector.

I can confidently say, I am glad I got one. Just have to eat ramen noodles for a few weeks while I recoup the cost

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 28, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.