Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Nice beaches in the UK? (no pebbles!) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Me and my girlfriend want to go on holiday next summer, but we want places where the beaches and nice and sandy (not pebbly).

Does anyone know of any places?

We've been looking for weeks.. we are clueless.

Thanks for any replies!

Newquay.

ReputationRep:
      Cornwall devon and Dorset are the prime destinations Try newquay or even Llandudno in wales - but the second aint great for sunbathing.

Most of the southcoast is pebble free

ReputationRep:
      Lowestoft & Southwold are both nice, near where I live Also Hemsby & Caister.. there are a lot of holiday homes around there and some hotels

ReputationRep:
      Probably the south :dontknow:

The UK isnt particularly well known for good beaches...

ReputationRep:

Poole and bournemouth. Especially sandbanks.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by ritchie888)
      Newquay.
      Yes!

ReputationRep:
      Cornwall and Devon have lots of nice sandy beaches, but they're very popular so they're peremently packed and really tourist. They are some really lovely, beautiful ones in Wales which I think are underestimted, or overshadowed by the more well-known ones in the south west.

ReputationRep:
      If you're going to newquay make sure it's before the throngs of 16 year olds arrive

ReputationRep:
      Planning your summer holiday already? you are organised. There's a nice largeish beach in devon called blackpool sands - though it's shingle more so than sand, but its comfortable to lie on! Cornwall has a few sandy beaches, but admittedly in the UK there seems to be more pebbly beaches. good luck!

ReputationRep:
      Whitley Bay up North... mind you, it'd be freezing cold now. But the beaches are lovely in the summer, and never exceedingly busy.

ReputationRep:
      Bournemouth, the beach is nice and big, and the waves aren't bad.

ReputationRep:
      Newborough beach, Anglesea (North Wales):

The pictures don't really do it justice.

ReputationRep:
      thanks for the many replies! i dont really want to go to newquay because of the immature 16 year olds. i'll have a search for some of these named places. i'll be very happy for more place names!

ReputationRep:
      Islay

ReputationRep:
      It might not be (at all) practical, but there are some wonderful beaches on the north-west coast of Scotland. I've been there in the last few summers; they're always completely deserted as well

ReputationRep:
      Clacton-upon-sea (depends what sort of town you want as well really...)

ReputationRep:
      Anglesey beaches (North Wales). To name a few: Newborough (also has an awesome forest there), Aberffraw, Cable Bay, Benllech, Red Wharf Bay, Trearddur Bay and Dulas Bay. You've also got Snowdonia 20 minutes away as well. Will you have a car? If you have car then I would recommend that you actually stay in Bangor. Bangor is a bit of a dive but it's a lot cheaper than Anglesey (and Snowdonia) in the summer.
      If you're going to camp, then I know that Blackthorn Farm campsite at Trearddur Bay is really good.

Another place is Pembrokeshire. Pretty much most of the beaches down there are lovely. It does get extremely busy down in Pembrokeshire, especially on the south and west coast (the north coast of Pembrokeshire tends to be a bit quieter). Only thing is that hotels and B&B are extremely expensive down there. However, camping, hostels and bunk barns are fairly cheap. If you want recommendations for Pembrokeshire PM me as I don't have time to write it all out now (I know the north coast extremely well (been going camping there since I was 6 weeks old and the west coast fairly well. Only been the south coast a few times.)

Out of the two, Anglesey would probably be cheaper, plus it's more accessible than Pembrokeshire (obviously depending on where you're coming from. From the south Pembrokeshire is probably a bit easier but I would think from everywhere else in the UK Anglesey would be easier to get to. I know that from Shrewsbury, Anglesey takes 2 hours to get to (about 90 miles). Shrewsbury to Fishguard on the north coast of Pembrokeshire (130 miles) takes about 4 hours. )

If you want any more info about Anglesey or Pembrokeshire then just PM me. I'm in my second year at Bangor uni so I know Anglesey and the surrounding area quite well and like I said I know a heck of a lot about parts of Pembrokeshire (no seriously, got about 50 years worth of family knowledge about the place so I know pretty much all of the secret hidden gems along a stretch of the north coast )

ReputationRep:
      Polzeath

ReputationRep:
      Cornwall is lovely. There's also some nice beaches in Kent:

This is Botany Bay, which is in Kent between Margate an Broadstairs.
      How 'nice' any beaches in the UK are highly depends on the weather! :p:

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.