Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Stop complaining about the snow and clear it youself Watch

ReputationRep:
    So the government are trying to save money and all that jazz and lots of people keep complaining about the snow and how there isn't enough salt to keep roads clear and how the pavements aren't clear and the poor OAPs are slipping over. But lots of people are also complaining about the cuts, well if the government were to put more money into salt, then they'd have to take money away from other sectors... and then people would complain about that...

Well in Germany if somebody slips over in front of your house, it's your responsibility, so everybody just clears the snow from their drives and a bit of the road in front as well. (Of course there are exceptions if an individual is not able enough to clear the snow themselves) THAT'S how countries keep going, THAT'S how Canada and the US don't stop. (Of course they do sometimes, but not to the extent we do in the UK)
    Whereas God forbid a bit of snow falls here and it's chaos, well that's because people are plain lazy, we expect our councils to baby us and keep us moving, but if we all chipped in and cleared a bit of snow then the UK wouldn't need to come to a stop.

What do you think?

ReputationRep:
    I think I win because it's not snowing down here at the moment

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough but people are going to be people. The UK is not used to dealing with this much snow and we are not in Germany.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Drunk Punx)
    I think I win because it's not snowing down here at the moment
    I think I definitely lose because it was snowing, then it stopped, then I cleared some of it, and now it's snowing again. :facepalm:

(Original post by Potally_Tissed)
      I think I definitely lose because it was snowing, then it stopped, then I cleared some of it, and now it's snowing again. :facepalm:
      Mother nature is loling at you right about now. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
      I agree. I don't expect my road to be cleared for me; it isn't really hard to spend 10 minutes outside with a shovel clearing the driveway and pavement.

ReputationRep:
      If the council grits the roads - "zomg we r running out of teh salt!!!1!"
      If the council doesn't grit the roads - "teh countrys at a standstill omfg!!! pheer!!!1"

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Fragile_Illusions)
      I agree. I don't expect my road to be cleared for me; it isn't really hard to spend 10 minutes outside with a shovel clearing the driveway and pavement.
      exactly! i mean i see people who don't clear the snow on their driveway and drive over the snow and have difficulty getting back on to it...:facepalm:

ReputationRep:
      Britain has an ageing population, so there aren't enough able snow clearers.

ReputationRep:
      The US does stop and panic about snow like the UK if you're in the right place, just fyi.

Anyway, I have to agree with you for the most part, but that's not going to happen because people are selfish.

(Original post by Hopple)
      Britain has an ageing population, so there aren't enough able snow clearers.
      Babies in push chairs won't make able snow clearers for a good 12 years either.

ReputationRep:
      I know that we don't normally get much snow but I agree too. I just got back from the U.S. and where I was they were so much more organised when it comes to dealing with snow etc.

ReputationRep:
      It's the trains I'm bothered about, not the pavement. If you don't want to slip, wear proper shoes. But train delays and cancellations..... Urgh.

ReputationRep:
      When we got all the snow, we cleared our driveway everyday and the pavement in front. I had basically the same thought when I was trying to get down to the bus stop. Why doesn't everybody just clear, what is normally about a whole metre, outside of their house?

Of course, noone ever will so whatever, but so much of this hassle could be avoided for people on foot (and probably the emergency services having to deal with the elderly).

ReputationRep:
      People have been stopped from clearing snow by councils and the police, you know. So it's not a lack of neighourhood spirit.

The argument is that snowless pavements and roads are not clear, just devoid of snow and far far more likely to ice up, therefore if you've cleared the ground you are liable for any accidents caused. It's safer to leave the snow there than the ice as there is inherent friction in snow upon the ground.

So, as much as I agree with the sentiment, I'd rather not get sued by people who can't keep themselves upright so I won't be doing any clearing.

ReputationRep:
      Yeaaah I kinda agree with you. However people believe that the fact that the pay council tax and what not they expect the council to deal with situations like this which i do agree with too

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by No Man)
      The US does stop and panic about snow like the UK if you're in the right place, just fyi.

Anyway, I have to agree with you for the most part, but that's not going to happen because people are selfish.

Babies in push chairs won't make able snow clearers for a good 12 years either.
      Hmm somebody didn't read my brackets
      And there are enough teenagers, and adults to clear the snow

ReputationRep:
      Not a single inch of snow in the east where I live, absolutely gutted.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Free-Spirit)
      Hmm somebody didn't read my brackets
      And there are enough teenagers, and adults to clear the snow
      I'm just dying to wander down the fast lane of the M1 with a brush...

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      People have been stopped from clearing snow by councils and the police, you know. So it's not a lack of neighourhood spirit.

The argument is that snowless pavements and roads are not clear, just devoid of snow and far far more likely to ice up, therefore if you've cleared the ground you are liable for any accidents caused. It's safer to leave the snow there than the ice as there is inherent friction in snow upon the ground.

So, as much as I agree with the sentiment, I'd rather not get sued by people who can't keep themselves upright so I won't be doing any clearing.
      My parents bought 3 bags of grit this year so we clear our driveway, the pavement and the road and put a bit of grit on it... so there you go.

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by Drewski)
      I'm just dying to wander down the fast lane of the M1 with a brush...
      what i meant was inner city and towns, so that the council could deal more effectively with the motorways and main roads

1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.