Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Arts/Music: is Beauty objective or subjective? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is Beauty in the eye of the beholder? A friend of mine believes Miley Cyrus is superior to Mozart in every way. I believe in Kant's "good" taste, and differentiate the agreeable and the beautiful.
    Why do you (not) believe Vivaldi is better than Eminem? Simply because you enjoy listening to it more, or are there other reasons?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Well from the nature of your post, would I not be correct in saying that you believe the arts are a subjective thing?

I mean surely, one could go either way depending on the kind of things that appeal to your artistic tastes. Often it is not so much the mood or the tone of music a it is the technique and the skill of a piece of music. But at other times, it is the beauty of a piece no matter how simplistic or even merely how pleasing the art is where it evokes an emotional response.

I do not think it would be wise to have a black and white cut and dry view because no person is entirely objective or subjective about the issue. To quote Nietzsche: “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”

It appears that to be objective regarding something is near impossible. We simply do not have a standard of comparison nor reflection. Unless you want to delve into Plato's theory of Forms which would lead us far into the discussion as to whether there is an objective standard however even thence that standard would elude us.

So in conclusion, I would say all beauty is in the eye of the beholder because beauty is not apparent from the world, rather dilute through our perspective. The agreeable and the beautiful are only quantitative of the individual.

ReputationRep:
    All art is essentially useless.

That qoute is born from the subjectiveness of art; as art is to one person a piece of toilet paper, it is to another nothing short of a temple. Who is right?

ReputationRep:
    Literally just done a whole module on 'Philosophy of Art'! Check out Kants Critique of Jugements, Humes Standard of Taste. Two key theory's on subjective/objective/universal concepts of art. Stay away from Plato I don't see much use in him at all as he thinks all art is essentially bad.

ReputationRep:
    Looking more at Kant's view, he suggests its both. Ultimately, it really is up to the perceiver. but it is legitimate to speak of convincing a person of the worth of (say) Mozart over Miley.

It's analogous to how talk about morality occurs; it seems legitimate to convince or argue about a moral question or issue, and the very fact that its possible to discuss an aesthetic matter shows that it is an autonomous domain of discourse.

Seriously, read more Kant. Up to the bit on teleology in the third critique, but not including, unless you are masochistic

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.