Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

My girlfriend wants to get a laptop, but not spend excessive amounts. I was wondering what laptop would be the best for a student to get. She needs it to be portable, as she'll be taking it to and from college, and primarily using it just for storing pictures/listening to music/watching DVDs, and the occasional assignment! I found these three and was wondering which is the best? (Or if you have a suggestion feel free to air it!)

The basic Dell Inspiron M301Z
    Mesh Discovery Slim 13.4"
    Refurbished Advent Verona P

Is there any real difference between a refurbished laptop and a new one either?

Thanks very much for any help!

ReputationRep:
    Acer Aspire 4810TZ 14". Really light and portable, excellent 8+ hour battery life and just generally pleasant to use.

ReputationRep:
    For enviromental reason, I think you should choose refurbished ones..For reliability reason, refurbished laptops are not very good compared to the new ones

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kwik-silva)
    Hello,

My girlfriend wants to get a laptop, but not spend excessive amounts. I was wondering what laptop would be the best for a student to get. She needs it to be portable, as she'll be taking it to and from college, and primarily using it just for storing pictures/listening to music/watching DVDs, and the occasional assignment! I found these three and was wondering which is the best? (Or if you have a suggestion feel free to air it!)

The basic Dell Inspiron M301Z
    Mesh Discovery Slim 13.4"
    Refurbished Advent Verona P

Is there any real difference between a refurbished laptop and a new one either?

Thanks very much for any help!
    Ask her to check her university IT services, they may have some student specials. It does not sound as if her computing demands are all that much, so just look around.

Buying a refurbished laptop is a false economy, get a new one and it will be less of a headache to her.

ReputationRep:
    How is it false economy when buying refurbished? You can purchase extra warranty normally any way if you really want and most are good in the first place ie: they're just returns and not had any faults with them

ReputationRep:
    Get her a MacBook, they are soooo worth it.

ReputationRep:
    What would be the point in a Macbok. Anything between the range of £300-£500 is good enough for most people. I second the Acer comment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cicerao)
    Acer Aspire 4810TZ 14". Really light and portable, excellent 8+ hour battery life and just generally pleasant to use.
    I second this, I bought this for uni and think its an excellent value for money

ReputationRep:
    get a refurbished macbook. better than those ones and the same price

ReputationRep:
    Do you recon it's possible to have a laptop thread and not have at least one person recommend a macbook? :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    laptopsdirect and acerdirect normally have some good refurbished Timeline's available. You can purchase warranty if you wish, and you can also pay for accidental warranty/theft warranty but as long as you're careful and the laptop fails you could, if you want, fight the company in court

ReputationRep:
    xmas is coming, send her a xmas gift (laptop)
    Laptop Sony VAIO
    4GB RAM
    320GB Hard DISK
    1GB to 2GB Video

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.