Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

I applied to Durham to read law in October; I was wondering whether there are any mature law students here already, and if so what qualifications you offered to gain entry. I understand matures are sometimes interviewed at Durham, does anyone know when this usually takes place? Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Riever86 you are basically me

I'm now 24 and currently studying CertinHE - Legal Methods at Birkbeck (in second Term now) and also applied for Durham, did you call them first? How long did they take to get back to you?

Birkbeck still haven't sent my UCAS off, they have promised to do it today so all is good.

How did you find the legal methods course last year (assuming you did it last year as you have your grade) and who was your teacher? It would be great to talk to you as it seems were similar

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneWordStory)
    Riever86 you are basically me

I'm now 24 and currently studying CertinHE - Legal Methods at Birkbeck (in second Term now) and also applied for Durham, did you call them first? How long did they take to get back to you?

Birkbeck still haven't sent my UCAS off, they have promised to do it today so all is good.

How did you find the legal methods course last year (assuming you did it last year as you have your grade) and who was your teacher? It would be great to talk to you as it seems were similar
    That's good to hear, I wish you best of luck!

I enjoyed the Birkbeck course a great deal. Especially the debating/mooting angle. We had Michael O'Sullivan, he's excellent.

I emailed Durham back in October, and they hadn't heard of the Birkbeck course at the time, even though they said they'd look into it. Hence, I didn't have too high hopes. But, about a week ago the department passed my application to a college, and I go the unconditional the other day. They didn't call me for interview in the end.

I think among those law schools that have taken the trouble to investigate/have took students from it before (like KCL or Harris Manchester College, Oxford) the BBK course has a pretty good reputation.

I've PM'd you, btw!

ReputationRep:
    Oh i started of with Michael O'Sullivan but had to move days because of other commitments so now have Gevienne Gorden, who has a very different teaching method from Michael but she is completely fab in her own way

Saying that, the first Term was all over the place with all the tutors doing their own thing because of the new dean playing around with the course but Term Two is looking a lot more organised

Well Birkbeck is well respected in its own right which helps and i think your right about the uni's willing to do some research. I called around 20 odd uni's before making my final choices and most got back to me within a day or two and were very supportive like Manchester, Leicester, Lancaster and so on... I've been in contact with Neil Cobbs, the head of admissions for like a month so hopefully me making him aware of the course non stop helped you out lol :P

By the way, well done!!!!!! What college did you get in to?

ReputationRep:
    Oh i started of with Michael O'Sullivan but had to move days because of other commitments so now have Gevienne Gorden, who has a very different teaching method from Michael but she is completely fab in her own way

Saying that, the first Term was all over the place with all the tutors doing their own thing because of the new dean playing around with the course but Term Two is looking a lot more organised

Well Birkbeck is well respected in its own right which helps and i think your right about the uni's willing to do some research. I called around 20 odd uni's before making my final choices and most got back to me within a day or two and were very supportive like Manchester, Leicester, Lancaster and so on... I've been in contact with Neil Cobbs, the head of admissions for like a month so hopefully me making him aware of the course non stop helped you out lol :P

By the way, well done!!!!!! What college did you get in to?
    Thanks! I'm still awaiting my confirmation of college - I applied to St. John's. They might send me to Cuthberts' though, just guessing, as I know that was founded as a mature/local college. I would like to be on the Bailey, if possible. Not that it matters too much, Durhams' a lovely place (spent the first eight years of my life there), I really hope you make it too! I got in without an interview, btw.

Right now, the only competition for Durham would be a KCL offer, but to be honest I'm quite liking the idea of escaping the hustle and bustle of London to study, that was one of the things that really appealed to me about Oxford. If I were to go to King's, there would be the advantage of not having to completely uproot my life, but at the same time "life" in London can be a distraction.

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, i applied for Josephine Butler because i want to be with the party people plus every room is En-suite

Where in Durham are you from? I pretty much spent the last two and a half years up there so know how lovely it is, Bella Italia by the river at night is just beautiful, so is the Cathedral and Castle... Oh and it's not that far from Newcastle or Gateshead so if i get in my car is coming with me

Funny enough i haven't applied for a single uni in London, been here all my life and just want to get away from it all... Otherwise i would of stayed at Westminster as i got in through clearing this year to study law there but after 2/3 weeks there didnt enjoy it and decided i wanted to go somewhere better and out of London so bounced over to the access course at Birkbeck. I'm actually looking forward to uprooting my life and just starting a whole new adventure

ReputationRep:
    hahaha, i applied for Josephine Butler because i want to be with the party people plus every room is En-suite

Where in Durham are you from? I pretty much spent the last two and a half years up there so know how lovely it is, Bella Italia by the river at night is just beautiful, so is the Cathedral and Castle... Oh and it's not that far from Newcastle or Gateshead so if i get in my car is coming with me

Funny enough i haven't applied for a single uni in London, been here all my life and just want to get away from it all... Otherwise i would of stayed at Westminster as i got in through clearing this year to study law there but after 2/3 weeks there didnt enjoy it and decided i wanted to go somewhere better and out of London so bounced over to the access course at Birkbeck. I'm actually looking forward to uprooting my life and just starting a whole new adventure
    My family had a habit of not staying put when I was a kid - I was at Langley Moor (outside town), Newton Hall (outside town), Claypath (heading up towards Gilesgate), and a couple of other places. Remember it well. I then lived in Newcastle for 6 years, before we all moved to Texas. I returned to the UK almost three years ago, straight to London.

I think moving from Westminster was a good idea. I reckon Birkbeck is a better place. Personally, of the London uni's, for law I'd stick with UCL, LSE, KCL & QMUL. I think SOAS is good too, if you're interests lie more with theirs.

Is Butlins by the botanical gardens? I used to love that place, it's very nice in summer. I'm partial to the quiet, scholarly scene myself, and do enjoy tradition, hence my college choice. Not that I think it matters too much; I doubt the college will make such a big difference after all.

ReputationRep:
    you are both likely to be socially marginalised at whatever college you chose to attend so it doesn't matter

what's this birkbeck craic I keep on seeing? is it a law foundation course?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Unmerkable)
    you are both likely to be socially marginalised at whatever college you chose to attend so it doesn't matter

what's this birkbeck craic I keep on seeing? is it a law foundation course?
    i pretty much guessed as much but i dont think 24 is old so not bothered

Well Birkbeck itself is part of the University of London, its mainly an evening university offering part time course in all the same subjects as other universities. It now does a full time law course itself (they just started it last year) though its the the part time evening with an extra evening.

However they also do a bunch of access courses to help people get into other universities if they wish. The Legal Methods course is basically a foundation degree, like a year 0 at Uni as its made up of 4 modules worth 120 units, though its called a Certificate of Higher Education which often confuses uni's so you have to call them to see they take it as an alternative entry requirement, most od after a bit of research

ReputationRep:
    aye 24 isn't old it's just that given your alternative route to university means you'll likely be classed as hoi polloi and avoided by the sons and daughters of the landed gentry who comprise about 80 percent of Durham's student population

City firms seem to hold Birkenbeck in very high regard, perhaps more so than a traditional law degree so I'd imagine with that and a decent Durham degree you'll alright, especially considering the economy is likely to have turned by the time you graduate

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Unmerkable)
    aye 24 isn't old it's just that given your alternative route to university means you'll likely be classed as hoi polloi and avoided by the sons and daughters of the landed gentry who comprise about 80 percent of Durham's student population

City firms seem to hold Birkenbeck in very high regard, perhaps more so than a traditional law degree so I'd imagine with that and a decent Durham degree you'll alright, especially considering the economy is likely to have turned by the time you graduate
    Of course, I can't comment with experience on this specific point: however, I'm friends with a few recent Durham grads in London, and while there no doubt exists "landed gentry" (Durham or not) of the type you refer to, I've also run in to some "landed gentry" who were decent people too. Good and bad exist across society, of course I hope there isn't an excess of the latter there, but if there is, at the end of the day I'm going to Durham to study a law degree.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.