Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    So suppose you've reached a point where you have made all your grad scheme applications really early, but have 0 offer and 20 rejections.
    What do you do? Suppose a you can't do a masters for financial reasons, do you just get a part time job and try reapply again, or do apply for a grad scheme you really don't want to do?

thanks in advance!
    (no im not in this situation, just thought it would be interesting to know, and it may help some people)

Tap the network.

ReputationRep:
      LOL what?

Well, if you can't understand that, you are likely to be the person who does N apps and gets 0 offers. Or if your lottery tickets manage to hit, you make it into the race and finish near last anyway.

ReputationRep:
        (Original post by President_Ben)
        Well, if you can't understand that, you are likely to be the person who does N apps and gets 0 offers. Or if your lottery tickets manage to hit, you make it into the race and finish near last anyway.
        Jesus you're an *********. Not everyone understands your lingo...doesn't make them incompetent.

To OP he just means talk to people you know in the industry/make contacts.

ReputationRep:
        yeh thanks jimmahi, ben is an *********. you cuda just said do some networking...

(Original post by jimmahi)
          Jesus you're an *********. Not everyone understands your lingo...doesn't make them incompetent.

To OP he just means talk to people you know in the industry/make contacts.
          Actually, it pretty much does.

ReputationRep:
          Tap the network.
          haha retard

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by loafer)
          I actually agree with Ben here.

It isn't 'his lingo', it is the way that lots of people speak. It is fairly weird to not be able to comprehend a simple phrase like that. I noticed this when I was on here earlier, I wrote a clearly satirical post with a picture of the most ridiculously dressed person asking something stupid about his attire in a stupid way, and everyone who responded thought that I was seriously seeking some help.

Fair enough it may not have been phone-your-neighbours funny, but it was obviously not a honest cry for help. It just went over the heads of everyone who honestly suggested that 'I' should perhaps change 'my' shirt to complement the absurdly shiny white tie.

What I am saying is that some people here obviously are in need of improving their chat and banter
          Yes cos I'm sure every IB researcher has an amazing senses of humour and incredible banter.

Some of the guys in the industry on this site need to ditch their god complex (prez especially). I understand money changes the mentally weak but these guys need to get over themselves.

ReputationRep:
          ^^^= the truth

tap the network sounds more like hacking or something, at any of the networking events ive been to, all the traders and bankers have once said tap the network, they all say do some networking....

ReputationRep:
          am i the only one getting tired of Ben's "lottery ticket" metaphor (or is it a similie?)? Get a new catch phrase.
          And wouldn't raffle ticket be a bit more accurate anyway?

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by KLL)
          am i the only one getting tired of Ben's "lottery ticket" metaphor (or is it a similie?)? Get a new catch phrase.
          And wouldn't raffle ticket be a bit more accurate anyway?
          Ah leave el presidente alone. It must be tough thinking of new ways to put today's youth down when you spend any precious free time you do have on a student forum...

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by jimmahi)
          It must be tough thinking of new ways to put today's youth down when you spend any precious free time you do have on a student forum...
          :mmm:

ReputationRep:
          Tap the network.
          Although one might infer what you mean using common sense, one would infer based on the premise that you are incapable of communicating clearly. If this happens to be the way you are used to speaking then you should recognise that not everyone will be familiar with it and explain it, or frankly you might struggle to demonstrate adequate communication skills in your applications (if you are applying). It is not nice to go around making other people feel inferior when this thread was clearly started by someone feeling (as most- normal- people do in the application process) a bit worried. Please think before you post.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by Dragonfly1989)
          Although one might infer what you mean using common sense, one would infer based on the premise that you are incapable of communicating clearly. If this happens to be the way you are used to speaking then you should recognise that not everyone will be familiar with it and explain it, or frankly you might struggle to demonstrate adequate communication skills in your applications (if you are applying). It is not nice to go around making other people feel inferior when this thread was clearly started by someone feeling (as most- normal- people do in the application process) a bit worried. Please think before you post.
          lawyered!

ReputationRep:
          PB slating a minor, minors ganging up on PB. Feels like 3 years ago.

ReputationRep:
          With regards to the actual question in the thread I think it may be a good idea to seek out off-cycle internships, many banks do it and they are not quite as hard to get (although still tough!)...

Also President is a clown, get a life son

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by dr.dangerous)
          Hi all,
          So suppose you've reached a point where you have made all your grad scheme applications really early, but have 0 offer and 20 rejections.
          What do you do? Suppose a you can't do a masters for financial reasons, do you just get a part time job and try reapply again, or do apply for a grad scheme you really don't want to do?

thanks in advance!
          (no im not in this situation, just thought it would be interesting to know, and it may help some people)
          Another career.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by uthinkilltellu)
          PB slating a minor, minors ganging up on PB. Feels like 3 years ago.
          Except I'm sure the "minors" from 3 years ago have moved on. The man needs to get a life. If I was wasting my free time acting like a juvenile insulting people on a student forum at his age, I'd consider myself a failure regardless of my job status.

ReputationRep:
          Tap the network.
          Why are you so rude and condescending anyway? Do you enjoy it?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
        Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.