Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm thinking of applying for a job at the PGL activity schools and was wondering if anyone had any tips to applying? I've done world challenge and i'm working towards my gold duke of edinbrough but that's about the limit of my experience (I have tried archery and fencing and stuff but I was pretty appaling). Any tips or alternative ideas would be helpful - my original gap year plan did not work out as can't find a job locally.

ReputationRep:
    It's worth bearing in mind that you don't have to be Bear Grylls to work at PGL. They have a huge amount of pastoral roles - being in charge of a group of kids, doing the activities with them but not instructing them per se, looking after their emotional needs etc - might not sound the most adrenalin-filled job, but when I was at their centre at Mimosa in France the pastoral staff ('groupies') and bar staff seemed to be having a great time.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Stegosaurus)
    It's worth bearing in mind that you don't have to be Bear Grylls to work at PGL. They have a huge amount of pastoral roles - being in charge of a group of kids, doing the activities with them but not instructing them per se, looking after their emotional needs etc - might not sound the most adrenalin-filled job, but when I was at their centre at Mimosa in France the pastoral staff ('groupies') and bar staff seemed to be having a great time.
    Do you know what the pay is, because I have applied but can't find any information on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dotty_but_good)
    Do you know what the pay is, because I have applied but can't find any information on it.
    I can't give you a number, no. It also really depends on the centre and the role - pay on the continent is different to the UK, I believe.
    I wouldn't expect to be rolling in the big dollar though :P

ReputationRep:
    It can be pretty fun, and if you work in the UK they combine the roles of activity instructor/group leader so you would probably start out just taking the activity sessions doing archery, orienteering etc. then hopefully get qualified for climbing/abseilling etc. and if all is going well the senior group leaders (SGLs) will put you on 'group' for a week with some of the more experienced AIGLs. The pay however is pretty low doing this, roughly £90 when accomodation and food has been taken off, so not a big saver. I believe the cleaning, kitchen and retail(bar and tuck shop) staff are on a higher rate, but i don't know any details

ReputationRep:
    I worked the PGL 2009 season. Absoloutly loved it, best job i've ever had.

I ended up specalising in abseiling, climbing and other high rope activities along with rifle shooting (as you need to be over 21 to instruct it and alot of staff are 18-20).

I didnt really do the 'groupie' side of stuff. Had to do it for a couple of weeks when the centre was at max capacity and hated it! I know some people do love it though, but I much prefered actually doing the activities rather then taking kids for their dinner, waking them up in the morning, all that boring stuff :P

Quote me on here if you have any specific questions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    I worked the PGL 2009 season. Absoloutly loved it, best job i've ever had.

I ended up specalising in abseiling, climbing and other high rope activities along with rifle shooting (as you need to be over 21 to instruct it and alot of staff are 18-20).

I didnt really do the 'groupie' side of stuff. Had to do it for a couple of weeks when the centre was at max capacity and hated it! I know some people do love it though, but I much prefered actually doing the activities rather then taking kids for their dinner, waking them up in the morning, all that boring stuff :P

Quote me on here if you have any specific questions.

hey you think you can tell me how the seasons work there please?

because i was actualy thinking about starting from september onwards as i would want to finish off the rest of this year first

but when i looked through there website i had the impression they normaly start the new working seasons in january? would this mean i would have to wait from september to january to start?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lechi.man01)
    hey you think you can tell me how the seasons work there please?

because i was actualy thinking about starting from september onwards as i would want to finish off the rest of this year first

but when i looked through there website i had the impression they normaly start the new working seasons in january? would this mean i would have to wait from september to january to start?

thanks
    The season tends to run from about March - October for most centres. Some start/finish slightly earlier or later in the year.

Theres very little work to do over the winter period and they usually reserve this for the permenant staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    The season tends to run from about March - October for most centres. Some start/finish slightly earlier or later in the year.

Theres very little work to do over the winter period and they usually reserve this for the permenant staff.
    thanks, so i guess a gap year would be pretty much a waste of time with them then seeing as most the year wud be wasted.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.