Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting back into a healthier diet mindset(long and boring thread) Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ok ok, so I am going to get trolled for saying things like this but I am fat. I know I am fat and have asked advice now and again and never do anything about it, purely as things are easier said than done and I need a physical sort of push to do something.

It was 2 and a half years ago that I suddently started feeling like """" pretty much permanently, and gained about 4 stone in 2 years(and was already a stone overweight then) and my frame of mind changed.

This may be seen as a excuse but I blame my student lifestyle, I only ate the worst sorts of food on moderation before that, but then started getting meal deals with freinds and I have a personality where I hate waste, so if I just got a small chicken kebab and finished it I wouldnt crave more, but buy a large one which was double the size and I could only eat half I would force myself to eat the other half so it got to the point that even if I ate what I needed and was "full" I felt that I hadnt eaten enough and felt faint unless I did.

The main reason became that my friends came to visit me a few nights a week and they always ordered takeaways so takeaways became my diet, plus I had their leftovers to save me buying food from shops thus saving cash.

I think this has damaged my health greatly, in the 2 years since it happened I have aged a huge amount(not sure if weight related) lost some of my hairline, and went from 8 hours a day sleep and a hour relaxing in bed before sleep, to as soon as my head is on pillow dropping off but then finding I need about 12 hours a day sleep and feeling """" still when I get up.

In the past 1-2 months I have almost utterly changed my diet to a mix of what it was, mixed with some take aways, i.e I only now get a take away once a week(as in a pizza) then during week I eat junk food but home cooked and earlier times, because of this I have been feeling better psychologically and my sleep pattern is awful still but its taking me ages to get to sleep like I used to and once I am up I feel far better.

Any ideas on how to improve? instead of someone just saying "cut out all junk foods and sleep at normal times"

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EarlHickey)
    Ok ok, so I am going to get trolled for saying things like this but I am fat. I know I am fat and have asked advice now and again and never do anything about it, purely as things are easier said than done and I need a physical sort of push to do something.

It was 2 and a half years ago that I suddently started feeling like """" pretty much permanently, and gained about 4 stone in 2 years(and was already a stone overweight then) and my frame of mind changed.

This may be seen as a excuse but I blame my student lifestyle, I only ate the worst sorts of food on moderation before that, but then started getting meal deals with freinds and I have a personality where I hate waste, so if I just got a small chicken kebab and finished it I wouldnt crave more, but buy a large one which was double the size and I could only eat half I would force myself to eat the other half so it got to the point that even if I ate what I needed and was "full" I felt that I hadnt eaten enough and felt faint unless I did.

The main reason became that my friends came to visit me a few nights a week and they always ordered takeaways so takeaways became my diet, plus I had their leftovers to save me buying food from shops thus saving cash.

I think this has damaged my health greatly, in the 2 years since it happened I have aged a huge amount(not sure if weight related) lost some of my hairline, and went from 8 hours a day sleep and a hour relaxing in bed before sleep, to as soon as my head is on pillow dropping off but then finding I need about 12 hours a day sleep and feeling """" still when I get up.

In the past 1-2 months I have almost utterly changed my diet to a mix of what it was, mixed with some take aways, i.e I only now get a take away once a week(as in a pizza) then during week I eat junk food but home cooked and earlier times, because of this I have been feeling better psychologically and my sleep pattern is awful still but its taking me ages to get to sleep like I used to and once I am up I feel far better.

Any ideas on how to improve? instead of someone just saying "cut out all junk foods and sleep at normal times"
    Gradual, small changes are key.
    So start by introducing Apples, Grapes, Pears and such into your snacks.

Grab a Banana in the morning, an Apple with a glass of water when you go into the kitchen.

I drink about 5L of water a day, after a while it becomes a habbit.

For breakfast have Wheat-a-bix,- even with sugar.

It's all about routine, and habbit, you need to break into a new habit.

Start having pasta for dinner, with tuna and peppers or something,- even add sauce or pesto.

It does not matter that you might still be eating "unhealthy foods", just strike a good balance, get lots of fish, fruit and veg into your diet and water too,- then at least you'll be half way there.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.