Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Online chat version of telephone helpline? Watch

Hi Guys,

I've not been myself mentally for a while, but lately I have been getting worse and worse, and decided that when I go back to uni in January I will go and see a Doctor and get some help: it's not really an option at home as I don't want to tell my family and my Doctor here is also a close friend of the family.

The thing is, I've got even worse over the last couple of days, and feel desperate and scared of what I'm feeling. I keep thinking that I don't want to live anymore and moving from one negative mood state to another (i.e depressed and numb one minute to panicky with my mind racing manically the next). As I've already said I really don't want my family to know, and don't want to risk phoning a helpline in case I am overheard. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's anything similar to the Mind helpline, or any other such organisation that offers you the same kind of service only through online chat? I feel like I really need to talk to someone and this would be the best way.

Any help here really would be hugely appreciated xxx

ReputationRep:
    I am not sure if people are available to chat at all hours but there is Childline online chat:
    http://www.childline.org.uk/Talk/Cha...nlineChat.aspx

If not, maybe you could discretely go to a phone box?

ReputationRep:
    Honestly, don't compromise getting help because you feel you may be overheard, unless you have other reasons as to why you don't want your family to know?

(Original post by Anonymous)
      Hi Guys,

I've not been myself mentally for a while, but lately I have been getting worse and worse, and decided that when I go back to uni in January I will go and see a Doctor and get some help: it's not really an option at home as I don't want to tell my family and my Doctor here is also a close friend of the family.

The thing is, I've got even worse over the last couple of days, and feel desperate and scared of what I'm feeling. I keep thinking that I don't want to live anymore and moving from one negative mood state to another (i.e depressed and numb one minute to panicky with my mind racing manically the next). As I've already said I really don't want my family to know, and don't want to risk phoning a helpline in case I am overheard. I was wondering if anyone knows if there's anything similar to the Mind helpline, or any other such organisation that offers you the same kind of service only through online chat? I feel like I really need to talk to someone and this would be the best way.

Any help here really would be hugely appreciated xxx
      http://www.mentalearth.com/

might be good.. they have a live chat section :-)

http://counseling.liveperson.com/

think you have to pay for this one though.

ReputationRep:
      You could try emailing the samaritans ([email protected]), but they don't give advice and it's a different person emailing you each time. Can still be a good way to vent stuff though.

Thank you so much for your links everyone, these will definitely prove helpful. I can't thank you enough xxx

(Original post by Roo Bix)
      Honestly, don't compromise getting help because you feel you may be overheard, unless you have other reasons as to why you don't want your family to know?
      I know that if my Mum found out she would make me drop out of university and get a transfer to come back home; there's no way she'd be comfortable with me living on my own if she knew everything that was going through my head. I don't want to make a big issue about it, and I don't want everyone to know about it. I already feel like I'm losing my boyfriend over it after opening up to him a bit...

ReputationRep:
      There's probably a free counselling service at the uni - obv something you could try in January, not for right now.

(Original post by Joinedup)
      There's probably a free counselling service at the uni - obv something you could try in January, not for right now.
      I've tried that already and I don't think it's working for me unfortunately, but thanks for your suggestion

Submit reply
    TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  1. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

2. Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  3. See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

4. The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.