Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I got sick.. really sick.. and missed a whole bunch of teaching of the first semester of my first year. I've been to see my dept today and, no surprises, if I don't get better I'm looking at redoing the year.

My intention is to call student finance, as the website says you "may" get funding, but we all know how useful they can be.

My understanding is that I get my finance for the length of my course (4 years MChem plus one Year Zero) plus one "**** up" year. Am I understanding correctly?

I don't care one bit about the size of my loan, but is there a point at which I "should" make the decision to start over before? or after?

If I'm too sick to start my studies again I wont be able to work either, I don't imagine, so I just need to make sure I'm making informed decisions to my benefit academically and financially.

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Yea that's normally right, length of course plus 1 mess up year, not sure if the Year 0 may throw a spanner in the works though?

ReputationRep:
    Firstly you need to confirm with your university that you will definitely be able to retake the year if you need to - I only say this as my university has banned all retake years, if you fail you fail...apparently due to a lack of funding....
    I would try and phone student finance (if you can ever get through) and try to confirm with them over the phone if you would be entitled to another year's funding

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.