Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a magazine that wants to 'focus on informing the reader base about cheap, healthy and easy to cook variety in an educational yet ‘cool’ publication.' So I'm supposed to write an entertaining recipe between 100 - 200 words. I've picked 2, and I want to know which one would be your favourite -- keeping in mind what they're asking me to do -- and why

Thanks loads in advance!

Recipe 1

Minced Beef Curry – Done in 5 minutes, in 5 steps, in the microwave and costs less than a quid!

This is a very flavoursome curry even if you do not add vegetables, so do not fret if you don’t have them in. Especially since the pastes tend to have crushed onions in them, so you’re still getting 1 of your 5 a day.

Serves: Roughly 3 people.
    Average cost per portion: ASDA: 94p. Tesco: 93p.

Ingredients:
    250g lean minced beef
    ASDA: £1.48 for 250g. Tesco: £1.48 for 250g.
    1 tube or jar of curry paste
    ASDA: £1.08 per 100g tube. Tesco: £1.29 per 198g jar.
    Chilli powder
    ASDA: £1.38 for 85g. Tesco: £0.86 for 100g.
    1 onion
    ASDA: £1. 18 for 2KG. Tesco: £1.18 for 2KG.
    1 pepper
    ASDA: £0.78 per pepper. Tesco: £0.72 per pepper.

Instructions:
    1. Separate raw mince with a fork, and then mix it with the chopped vegetables and 100g curry paste.
    2. Put it in the microwave at roughly 800W for 2 minutes.
    3. Separate the mince again and then put back in the microwave until cooked (roughly 2 – 3 minutes).
    4. Add chilli powder if it needs more flavour and then put it in the microwave for another minute.
    5. Ta-dah! A filling, yummy curry is complete.

ALTERNATIVE RECIPE IN THE HOB

Ingredients:

250g lean minced beef
    2 large tomatoes
    1 onion
    Half a packet of corriander
    Curry Powder
    Sugar

Instructions:
    1. Chop onions, and add them to a large pan to fry on the hop
    2. Once onions look browned, add raw mince and cook until it no longer looks raw.
    3. Add 2 -3 tablespoons of curry powder depending on how spicy you like it.
    4. Chop up the tomatoes and corriander, and add them to the curry.
    5. Add a teapsoon of sugar -- when cooked, tomatoes are very acidic and this counteracts the taste.
    6. Keep tasting and adding curry powder or extra vegetables until satisfied with the taste.

Recipe 2

*Your dinner in a mug – courtesy of Mr. Poundland!*

Sometimes we just don’t want a lot of washing up to do as we’re already up to our necks in dishes – so this is for people who are hungry but want it to be as quick and clean as making a cup of tea! (And it costs less than a chocolate bar at a corner shop!)

Serves: 1 person.
    Cost: 66p per portion.
    Time Taken: Approx 5 minutes.

Ingredients:
    1 packet of flavoured cup of pasta *3 packets for 1 pound at Poundland*
    1 packet of bacon *6 rashers for 1 pound at Poundland*

Instructions:
    1. Fry (or grill if you want to be that bit healthier) 2 rashers of bacon.
    2. Prepare the cup of pasta – ie. add hot water to it in a mug
    3. Cut up the cooked rashers of bacon and add it in the mug.
    4. Ta-dah! Dinner is ready in your mug.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, neither. Well I like the first one, but not in the microwave. It doesn't taste anywhere near as good cooked in the microwave. It's not much effort to chuck it all in a frying pan and fry for a few minutes. And maybe mention about chopping up the veg, some people may be a little dim and throw in a whole pepper :-|

Have you tried these recipes? Do they taste nice?

ReputationRep:
    1) I don't like curry paste. I would rather use natural yoghurt and just get creative with my spice shelf. Also: cooking it in the microwave? Seriously? Don't you have a hob in your kitchen?

2) I don't eat flavoured pasta, so this is already out the window. What's wrong with normal pasta, pesto, cheese, tomatoes and bacon? It would probably work out costing you less.

In summation, you could make both these meals far nicer and far healthier for no extra cost simply by buying proper ingredients.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't make either of those meals, especially not number 2 :yucky: And I can't imagine a curry cooked in the microwave being very nice, browning your onions and meat in a pan makes it taste so much nicer.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    the first one is a good idea, but microwave? i don't have a microwave

plus i'd rather eat food cooked on a hob!

ReputationRep:
    The first one sounds like the worst curry ever. Seriously, at least attempting to make something in a frying pan would turn out better.
    The second one doesn't sound healthy or appetising. Why not make a recipe for a stir-fry? Or something which uses left-overs?

ReputationRep:
    They both sound rank. :yucky:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the feedback guys

The first one I've tried and is actually really nice -- you're much less likely to burn your veg and meat if it's in the microwave I've found, plus it's so much easier washing up as frying things mean that they tend to get stuck to the pan and you spend ages trying to scrub it off! I've had chilli and bolognese all cooked in the microwave before (both myself and my mum doing it at separate occasions) and it's always turned out quite well.

Never tried the second recipe, just was trying to think of something quirky :p:

Today, I cooked herbed lamb with fried onion and pepper, with homemade taziki sauce and a pitta bread. Would that recipe sound good to anyone?

ReputationRep:
    Um, you trolling or something? You would actually consider eating these, let alone submitting them for a recipe contest? Wtf?

ReputationRep:
    You cook raw meat in the microwave? O_o

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    You cook raw meat in the microwave? O_o
    My mum has cooked it in the microwave all my life and I've never gotten poorly off it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by red_roses)
    My mum has cooked it in the microwave all my life and I've never gotten poorly off it.
    :puke:

Aside from the MAJOR risk of not cooking the meat properly, it would probably taste better if you didnt cook it in the microwave. Also I dont think the majority of people do cook meat in the microwave thus submitting it to a magazine as a recipe is a bit silly :/

They wont accept it - PLEASE just change it so it's cooked on the hob.

ReputationRep:
    the first one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanNature1992)
    :puke:

Aside from the MAJOR risk of not cooking the meat properly, it would probably taste better if you didnt cook it in the microwave. Also I dont think the majority of people do cook meat in the microwave thus submitting it to a magazine as a recipe is a bit silly :/

They wont accept it - PLEASE just change it so it's cooked on the hob.
    Oh no I completely accept that if you guys don't like then the journalist people won't!

I picked the microwave option because it's so much quicker and less messy than the hob and, having eaten minced beef all my life cooked in the microwave, I can say you won't get poorly off it.

I'm going to add the hob option to my OP now as I cooked a curry for 5 today and everyone said they liked it, so we'll see how that goes down

ReputationRep:
    Oh no I completely accept that if you guys don't like then the journalist people won't!

I picked the microwave option because it's so much quicker and less messy than the hob and, having eaten minced beef all my life cooked in the microwave, I can say you won't get poorly off it.

I'm going to add the hob option to my OP now as I cooked a curry for 5 today and everyone said they liked it, so we'll see how that goes down
    I trust you in that its fine cooking in the microwave but it really doesn't take that much effort to cook it on the hob - tastes much better too. And there's obviosuly a stigma attached to cooking meat in the microwave. Also people aren't THAT lazy lol, hob maybe take slightly longer, but imo has more pros than cooking in the microwave.

But yeah good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Just shop reduced cleverly (i.e. using your freezer), and you can make real meals really cheaply :O

No need for these awful non-recipes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazydan599)
    Just shop reduced cleverly (i.e. using your freezer), and you can make real meals really cheaply :O

No need for these awful non-recipes!
    This may be a shock, but I do bulk cook food I make about 4 portions worth of whatever I'm making -- like chilli, curry or bolognese -- and then freeze the rest for meals later on in the week.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks loads in advance!

ALTERNATIVE RECIPE IN THE HOB

Ingredients:

250g lean minced beef
    2 large tomatoes
    1 onion
    Half a packet of corriander
    Curry Powder
    Sugar

Instructions:
    1. Chop onions, and add them to a large pan to fry on the hop
    2. Once onions look browned, add raw mince and cook until it no longer looks raw.
    3. Add 2 -3 tablespoons of curry powder depending on how spicy you like it.
    4. Chop up the tomatoes and corriander, and add them to the curry.
    5. Add a teapsoon of sugar -- when cooked, tomatoes are very acidic and this counteracts the taste.
    6. Keep tasting and adding curry powder or extra vegetables until satisfied with the taste.

I was rather lazy to go out last night due to the freezing cold and my usual curry place was not delivering any more for the night.

I took a look at your recipes, recipe 2 I hate to say it, but this sounds totally disgusting and really if all you want to do is modify a ready made pasta as a quick meal, why not add some pieces of ham into it instead of bacon. You save a step and almost everyone has their own favourite ham.

Anyway I tried your beef curry recipe since we had all the ingredients in the freezer except the mince beef...... I used some thinly sliced beef instead.

TBH, it's fine as a cheap and quick dish. Also I'd probably specify how much curry powder to put in as a guide to the spiciness level to be achieved in case it is done by a novice cook.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.