Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I was speaking about university with my form tutor a couple of weeks ago and she was asking me do I want to stay here (Liverpool) for university or move away. This time next year I should have already picked my five unviersities and wrote my personal statement so I don't think it is that far away to be talking about it. I already know what course I want to do and what career I want to pursue (Quantity Surveying for those interested) but I was wondering what are the pros and cons of going to university and living at home or moving away altogether?

I think the most obvious ones are like if you move away you will become more independent and if you live at home it will be a lot cheaper but I'm hoping there may be some more obscure ones?

ReputationRep:
    There's probably a few threads around the place with this already, but I'll give you some anyways.

Home
    Pros:
    Cheaper
    Still have parents to do some stuff for you, they sort out all the money, shopping, food etc.
    Still have friends from school (well, the ones that aren't moving away)
    Already know they city you're studying in
    May already have a part time job which you can keep at all year long
    Can feel more comforting staying somewhere you know with people you know

Cons:
    Don't have the instant friends you would have living in halls
    Can be a pain on nights out if you need to get a certain bus/train home (although if you live close enough to the uni anyways this isn't that bad)
    Need to travel in every day (although if it's a long train journey or something this could be a good time to catch up on reading and stuff)
    Parents/Siblings/Family in general being a pain

Halls
    Pros:
    Will be pretty close to the uni
    More independent
    Get away from home, new experience
    You won't be in the new situation alone
    Have your own space (especially if you share a room at home)

Cons:
    More expensive
    Might not like house mates
    Might have messy/loud house mates
    May have to share bathroom
    Some places can be useless and take ages to fix stuff

I myself and staying at home and I pretty much regret it. I've saved a bit of money but I haven't really been able to make many friends because I'm quite a shy person (then again, if I moved into halls who says it would have been any different?). I do have a few people I can sit next to in some lectures, but a lot of the time I do sit alone. I'm also getting a bit sick of my parents being down my throat all the time, plus my house if pretty small with a lot of people in it and it is pretty noisy and a pain for studying and stuff. As for nights out (not that I've been out with anyone from uni, just people from work), it costs me £10 for a taxi home from town which isn't too bad, plus I mainly go to pubs anyways and we usually finish up about 11:30 when I can still get a bus home.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.