The Student Room Group

Teeth whitening results unsatisfactory

So I've just had laser teeth whitening at the dentist last Wednesday, it was the 1 hour 3 sets standard procedure.

The pain and hassle and money notwithstanding, the colour of my teeth has largely gone back to what it was before the treatment although the colour distribution seem more equal. Granted, the dentist told me not to ingest food or drink that are heavily coloured such as red wine, coffee or cigarettes etc; which I did not. But I fail to see how I could have ingested enough colour in 6 days to equal years of colour build up.

Anyway, I'm due back to see him tomorrow as standard checkup, just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences or what you did next.

I'm now considering veneers, but seeing as I deem the majority of my teeth unsatisfactory, it would take what, about 10 veneers? I can do them abroad, so cost is not an issue, but is that safe so many at once?
crest white strips work.. and they're a LOT cheaper than paying for more work. if you're not happy with the results tell your dentist and see what he/she says.
Reply 2
If you're not happy then go back, was it Zoom you had?
Reply 3
Original post by Elynnor1811
crest white strips work.. and they're a LOT cheaper than paying for more work. if you're not happy with the results tell your dentist and see what he/she says.

Original post by tbm

Well, no, I don't think it was Zoom, it was just a generic blue laser whitening machine probably with a hydrogen peroxide gel. I'm current abroad at my parents you see.

Anyway I saw the dentist today, he said the whiteness has regressed since immediately after the 3rd tray (1 week ago) however it is still somewhat of an improvement than before, ie a bit whiter and the colour distribution between teeth is noticeably more even now which I agreed with.

He recommends I do home whitening kits in 6 months time and not do laser whitening in the short/medium term as that's more harmful to teeth than home whitening kits.

I think I'll consider Crest White Strips in 6 months time. I basically want my teeth to be as white as my toilet, which is admittedly made of white porcelain.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by tbm

have u had zoom done?
Laser treatments are naff. My cousin is a cosmetic dentist and does my teeth every 6 months, he uses some sort of bleach which gives me mad pearly whites that last the whole 6 months with whitening toothpaste twice a day.
I use daywhite I think its called? The sort of gel stuff you put in a mould and its great, I have very white teeth! I've heard that laser treatment isnt great and hurts a hell of a lot, I would maybe ask your dentist about the home treatments :smile:
How much are the crest strips? I heard they were bad for your teeth yet want to try them hmm.
Original post by The-Real-One
So I've just had laser teeth whitening at the dentist last Wednesday, it was the 1 hour 3 sets standard procedure.

The pain and hassle and money notwithstanding, the colour of my teeth has largely gone back to what it was before the treatment although the colour distribution seem more equal. Granted, the dentist told me not to ingest food or drink that are heavily coloured such as red wine, coffee or cigarettes etc; which I did not. But I fail to see how I could have ingested enough colour in 6 days to equal years of colour build up.

Anyway, I'm due back to see him tomorrow as standard checkup, just wondering if you guys have had similar experiences or what you did next.

I'm now considering veneers, but seeing as I deem the majority of my teeth unsatisfactory, it would take what, about 10 veneers? I can do them abroad, so cost is not an issue, but is that safe so many at once?

Hey i had enlighten done about 3 -4 years ago. And my teeth are still white. 2bh i think it’s the best in office whitening treatment you can get. They take a mould of your teeth and make you customized teeth shields to fit all your teeth exact. You then use the enlighten gel they give you every night for two weeks. After you have used it your teeth will be noticeably white. You go back to your dentist after the two weeks are up and they performer the laser/light thing on your teeth. I haven’t had to retouch my teeth, yeah they have faded but it’s a good thing as my teeth where too white for the first few months. Kind of looked fake. But now they look natural. I would recommend it.
Reply 9
Original post by nikki-jones2009
Hey i had enlighten done about 3 -4 years ago. And my teeth are still white. 2bh i think it’s the best in office whitening treatment you can get. They take a mould of your teeth and make you customized teeth shields to fit all your teeth exact. You then use the enlighten gel they give you every night for two weeks. After you have used it your teeth will be noticeably white. You go back to your dentist after the two weeks are up and they performer the laser/light thing on your teeth. I haven’t had to retouch my teeth, yeah they have faded but it’s a good thing as my teeth where too white for the first few months. Kind of looked fake. But now they look natural. I would recommend it.

Sounds you were lucky. Perhaps I am cursed with naturally yellow teeth, or more clear enamel.

Whatever the reason it is clear that I am not a suitable candidate for teeth whitening. Btw, I also did the teeth mold thing at home 2 years ago. That failed also but was worse than the 1 hour dental I had in Decemeber because it was more uneven.

And I don't think it's healthy to constantly whitening your teeth, you're technically burning away a small layer of something everytime.

I've decided to get veneers done this summer if it's possible, because some teeth have had previous fillings. This is obviously going to cost in the thousands, but that's the price you pay for being unlucky that cheap whitening doesn't work for you.
Sounds you were lucky. Perhaps I am cursed with naturally yellow teeth, or more clear enamel.

Whatever the reason it is clear that I am not a suitable candidate for teeth whitening. Btw, I also did the teeth mold thing at home 2 years ago. That failed also but was worse than the 1 hour dental I had in Decemeber because it was more uneven.

And I don't think it's healthy to constantly whitening your teeth, you're technically burning away a small layer of something everytime.

I've decided to get veneers done this summer if it's possible, because some teeth have had previous fillings. This is obviously going to cost in the thousands, but that's the price you pay for being unlucky that cheap whitening doesn't work for you.

nooo enlighten is totally different. try reading up on it. It's enlgihten evolution. is a totally different way to whiten your teeth. My sister did at home whitening and she had to redo hers because she didnt get enlighten.
i got enlighten which is a at home/ in office laser combination. and it works.

just read up on it.

http://www.kensingtondental.com/advanced_treatments.shtml

have a read
Reply 12
Original post by nikki-jones2009
nooo enlighten is totally different. try reading up on it. It's enlgihten evolution. is a totally different way to whiten your teeth. My sister did at home whitening and she had to redo hers because she didnt get enlighten.
i got enlighten which is a at home/ in office laser combination. and it works.

just read up on it.

Thanks for that, but I'm not going to bother trying it. I need 3 veneers anyway for shape purposes. It might as well be full veneers now to save any colour mismatch in the future. My parents are paying part of the cost anyway.
Thanks for that, but I'm not going to bother trying it. I need 3 veneers anyway for shape purposes. It might as well be full veneers now to save any colour mismatch in the future. My parents are paying part of the cost anyway.

yh but i think veneers look too un natural and too fake :/

Quick Reply

Latest