Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

MA Intercultural Communication/Relations in the UK Watch

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chotto)
    [...] International student from the US, did my BA in Japanese Literature, Culture, and Media and would like to do an MA in Intercultural Communications or Intercultural Relations. (Originally wanted to do MA Japanese Studies at SOAS, but decided to wait on that and see how things play out.)

Tried searching for this MA on this forum but it seems to be a (relatively) new field.

Did a search on some UK universities that offer it, and narrowed down my interests/ choices to these:

(a) University of Bedfordshire (Luton)
    (b) University of Sheffield
    (c) University of the West of England, Bristol

So a few questions to anyone who either a. studied/is studying Intercultural Communications and/or b. attends or attended those universities:

1. Any thoughts on the program/university's reputation?
    2. What is the university's area/city/town like? (overall reputation in the UK)
    3. Lots of international students?
    4. If you chose one of the three above, which would you choose? (just out of curiosity, but you don't hafta answer)

[…]
    Because it is a new area, I doubt anyone will be able to give you subject-specific advise on this website. However, in terms of: (1) the University of Sheffield is miles ahead of the other two in terms of general reputation; (2) both Bristol, though the UWE campus is not actually in the city-centre like the University of Bristol's, and Sheffield are nice – I have no experience with Bedfordshire; (3) I would assume Sheffield would have the most international students at postgraduate level because of their reputation; (4) Sheffield.

ReputationRep:
    I'd have to agree pretty much with evantej.

Sheffield has a much better reputation in the UK in terms of academia and you will likely get a higher standard of teaching and possibly facilities here.

Location wise, Sheffield is somewhat similar to Bristol in terms of being a larger city in England (Bristol possibly slightly more picturesque but that's possibly a personal viewpoint), whereas Luton is slightly smaller than the other two but situated within easy tavelling distance to London.

If I was to pick one personally it would be Sheffield based simply on their academic standing. Ranking the three; Sheffield, UWE, Befordshire.

Your choice, as with many people, will come down to what you want from studying in the UK in particular.

ReputationRep:
    --

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 23, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.