Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi.

I guess this topic does not show up for the first time, but the latest I came across was from 2006. I suppose it had changed by now.

I would like to apply to the best university. By best I mean prestigious, giving best career opportunities, etc.

I want to study economics (undergraduate) and was thinking about Oxford, LSE, Harvard, Princeton, MIT, Columbia or University of Chicago. Which one is best? Where to study is better UK or USA?

Best Regards
    ABRK

ReputationRep:
    Not too sure, but in any case I'm pretty sure you can apply to all of the ones you listed simultaneously. You would do very well to end up at any of them.

Oh, and Oxford don't do Economics, they do Economics and Management.

And there is no 'best' university, they are all world-class. You have to make a personal decision about which one to attend, if you do well enough to get offers from them.

ReputationRep:
    Why don't you apply at all of them? It's not like their bound to make you an offer.
    Personally, I'd say apply at:
    UK:
    Oxford/Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Durham
    Warwick/Bath/Nottingham/similar

USA:
    MIT
    Harvard
    Yale
    Pennsylvania
    Princeton
    Chicago
    Johns Hopkins
    (that's just east-coastish. Otherwise, there's Stanford, Caltech, etc.)

That's just IMO though, and it would be very risky as they are very selective.

EDIT:
    Lol, it's a suggestion. IMO. better?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    Why don't you apply at all of them? It's not like their bound to make you an offer.
    UK:
    Oxford/Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Imperial

USA:
    MIT
    Harvard
    Yale
    Pennsylvania
    Princeton
    Chicago
    Johns Hopkins

Imperial don't do Economics. Swap it for Durham and that's a pretty comprehensive list.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon a lot more students will consider studying in the US due to the tuition fees thing.

ReputationRep:
    Do you really think you'd be disadvantaged if you went to the best university in either country? Pick which one you LIKE the most and which will give you the most HAPPINESS.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bramz19)
    Imperial don't do Economics. Swap it for Durham and that's a pretty comprehensive list.
    :P Thanks.

How could I forget Durham if I'm applying there?

ReputationRep:
    Tuition fees in USA are expensive as hell...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    I reckon a lot more students will consider studying in the US due to the tuition fees thing.
    This could happen, but they are likely to be put off by the extremely high fees in US.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ussumane)
    Tuition fees in USA are expensive as hell...
    they are equally generous with scholarships (unlike the uk)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Melanie-v)
    UK:
    Oxford/Cambridge
    LSE
    UCL
    Imperial

USA:
    MIT
    Harvard
    Yale
    Pennsylvania
    Princeton
    Chicago
    Johns Hopkins

Yeah, Imperial's world-famous economics degree.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it is expensive to study in the US. But remember to study in the UK includes the tuition fees + accommodation + additional costs for food etc. This could come to like 15 k per yr! And besides, the exchange rate regarding the pound and dollar could make studying in the US more feasible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sapientia)
    Do you really think you'd be disadvantaged if you went to the best university in either country? Pick which one you LIKE the most and which will give you the most HAPPINESS.
    Im kind of workaholic. I achieve greatest happiness by work. Which means that the most happiness would give me university with greatest career opportunities.

Tuition fees aren't a problem. Im from central europe so in either case I will be studying abroad.

Thanks for help :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoWZa)
    Yeah it is expensive to study in the US. But remember to study in the UK includes the tuition fees + accommodation + additional costs for food etc. This could come to like 15 k per yr! And besides, the exchange rate regarding the pound and dollar could make studying in the US more feasible.
    It can cost up to $125,000 to study for three years, I'd say that's a pretty big difference.

ReputationRep:
    For UK best unis for econ are LSE, Cambridge, Warwick/UCL. I chose to study in the UK because of the three year degrees.

ReputationRep:
    There are many unis in the US where it is feasible. Am just saying I wouldn't be surprised if more UK students considered studying in the US that's all.

ReputationRep:
    People are so ignorant. Everyone thinks US universities are really expensive, but they're not. You get huge scholarships which include accommodation, tuition fees, food, travel costs e.t.c. Clearly it will still cost a lot, but its not going to end up being 100k a year like some people are saying. More 10k a year.

ReputationRep:
    My problem is that i don't want to end up working in Walmart. Where would I have better opportunities? Clearly from US universities there is shorter way to Wall Street etc.

Is it worth doing B.A. in let's say LSE or Oxford and then Masters in the US? I clearly have no idea. US schools always seemed to me as more prestigious ones. What kinds of career opportunities does LSE provide? More like being an analyst for middle-sized bank or maybe opens doors to more comprehensive career?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by abrkPL)
    My problem is that i don't want to end up working in Walmart. Where would I have better opportunities? Clearly from US universities there is shorter way to Wall Street etc.

Is it worth doing B.A. in let's say LSE or Oxford and then Masters in the US? I clearly have no idea. US schools always seemed to me as more prestigious ones. What kinds of career opportunities does LSE provide? More like being an analyst for middle-sized bank or maybe opens doors to more comprehensive career?
    Are you suggesting that LSE graduates end up working at Walmart? :s

uk all the way and its cheaper

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.