Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    not sure if this is the right place to post.

i'm in my second year at oxford studying biology.

however recently i received a 'preliminary warning' with a date to improve (set collections in 4th week). if i don't improve, i will be set a formal warning.
    i am really nervous about passing these collections, as i also have a lot of other work to do on top, and i'm not sure if i can perform better.

i've been (especially since receiving the warning) thinking that maybe this is not the course or uni for me, in terms of interest as well as ability. i've also been considering biomedical sciences, as that is the aspect of biology i'm most interested in (and i didn't really consider intermediates between biology and medicine before i started.)

an additional problem was that i didn't do very well in my first year (2.2 overall) and obviously with the warning now. if i decided to transfer to biomedical sciences (or another course or even still biology) i would probably start again from first year.
    i'm really worried that my bad uni grades so far will stand against me- even though my A-level/school grades were good and i managed to enter oxford. if i miss this warning too, then i'll be in an even worse position. when applying to uni at first year entry, but from dropping from another uni, do they consider grades from your previous university? also i'm not sure my tutors would give me great references.....
    i'm also unsure that i would regret dropping out of oxford so much, and this thought is really a panic due to the warning.
    i'm worried about if i decided to drop out of oxford, then couldn't get into anywhere else. am i being really stupid to drop this opportunity i have being in oxford, even though i might potentially not do very well here ????

i've already been here for half my course. i would feel terrible for dropping out now..... i don't know, with REALLY HARD WORK i could probably make it.
    also i've made some really great friends and experiences here.

congratulations if you read that...

tl;dr// am i crazy to consider dropping out of oxford in my second year ??
    should i try and stick with it here ?
    is this probably due to panic from the warning?
    will my fairly bad first year results stand against me if i applied for first-year entry to another uni and course ?
    help. ;;;;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanodesu)

however recently i received a 'preliminary warning' with a date to improve (set collections in 4th week). if i don't improve, i will be set a formal warning.
    i am really nervous about passing these collections, as i also have a lot of other work to do on top, and i'm not sure if i can perform better.

i've been (especially since receiving the warning) thinking that maybe this is not the course or uni for me, in terms of interest as well as ability. i've also been considering biomedical sciences, as that is the aspect of biology i'm most interested in (and i didn't really consider intermediates between biology and medicine before i started.)

an additional problem was that i didn't do very well in my first year (2.2 overall) and obviously with the warning now. if i decided to transfer to biomedical sciences (or another course or even still biology) i would probably start again from first year.
    i'm really worried that my bad uni grades so far will stand against me- even though my A-level/school grades were good and i managed to enter oxford. if i miss this warning too, then i'll be in an even worse position. when applying to uni at first year entry, but from dropping from another uni, do they consider grades from your previous university? also i'm not sure my tutors would give me great references.....
    i'm also unsure that i would regret dropping out of oxford so much, and this thought is really a panic due to the warning.
    i'm worried about if i decided to drop out of oxford, then couldn't get into anywhere else. am i being really stupid to drop this opportunity i have being in oxford, even though i might potentially not do very well here ????

i've already been here for half my course. i would feel terrible for dropping out now..... i don't know, with REALLY HARD WORK i could probably make it.
    also i've made some really great friends and experiences here.

congratulations if you read that...

tl;dr// am i crazy to consider dropping out of oxford in my second year ??
    should i try and stick with it here ?
    is this probably due to panic from the warning?
    will my fairly bad first year results stand against me if i applied for first-year entry to another uni and course ?
    help. ;;;;
    If I were you I would start studying hard asap and reduce the damage. tbh switching uni or course (in your case) means failure .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nanodesu)

In no particular order:
    • Go talk to Martin Speight. While your tutor at LMH can give you that kind of warning it's completely ridiculous - your collections will be based partly on material you've not actually covered yet, you're very early in the 2nd year etc etc. So don't just accept what college say. LMH is a silly college when it comes to trying to throw people out.
    • If biomedicine is what appeals to you, then I agree - the Oxford course really isn't that geared towards it. Obviously you can take cells and disease - but cells will contain plenty of developmental craziness too - not what you want to take on if you're already struggling!
    • Try to figure out how much of this is based on the warning. Are you genuinely unhappy, or just trying to look for a way out? You make it sound like you're trying to jump because being pushed eventually is an inevitability.
    • You don't have to get references from your tutor at LMH. If there's someone who's tutored you enough in first year / agreed to be your supervisor this year maybe? You can easily ask them too.

Really, you sound like you're panicking and not thinking straight. I would say try to take a step back and think about how you would be feeling right now if you hadn't been given a warning. Go talk to your tutor and try to agree some problem areas that you're particularly going to work on. See if you can convinve him e.g. to just set you something on one aspect of collections you really struggled with, and then go get help on that one aspect. Just saying "get better at everything" is really unconstructive, and puts far too much pressure on you. If you can come up with a sensible game plan he's far more likely to agree with you. And do go talk to Martin. If nothing else, he's very good at being a voice of reason - having been at Bangor for years he hasn't got a big "Oxford is awesome and you must live up to it" chip.

ReputationRep:
    Hello! I got rejected by Oxford this year and I am plannning to reapply. I am applying for Maths again. In a normal sense, I have to take a gap year, but would it be alright to attending uni while I am reapplying? For example, if I decide to go to e.g. Imperial, I would have attended a term when I have interviews. Would the tutors think of me in a different way to other students in a way that I dont have have to get an offer as i am already attending uni? or would they think that I have been doing maths so its a good thing? Would it be any disadvantage to me?

WANNA HEAR WHAT YOUR OPINION ISSSSS!!!

THANK YOU!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    Wow why leave Imperial it's still a stellar university?

ReputationRep:
    If you need to take a gap year, take a gap year. It's not a gap year when you are doing your first year of your undergraduate course.

ReputationRep:
    Since you're studying Maths I wouldn't recommend leaving Imperial due to Oxford rejection.

I expect it depends on individual tutors feelings as to whether they think of you differently or not, I expect some of them don't give a damn.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    This.

ReputationRep:
    tbh i would say stick with imperial or take a gap year, there are contractual obligations and you wouldn't be the most favourite student at imperial if you are already desperate to leave
    but you have to measure up whether you could live with going to neither if you reapply as it is unlikely that you will get an imperial offer again.

ReputationRep:
    Maths at Oxford is NOT worth leaving Imperial tbh. It's just not as good as it sounds imo. If you're thinking about reapplying, maybe try Cambridge instead.

ReputationRep:
    Yes sure, go ahead. Although if I get rejected for Maths from Imperial, I am blaming you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    This again. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Have you checked to see if this is allowed?
    I don't think Cambridge allow this. Not sure about Oxford.
    Or maybe it's that you can't transfer, meaning you'd have to do the first year again.

I don't think you will be disadvantaged. The only 'problem' universities have with applicants applying post-A level is that for maths, you may not practice during your gap year so you'll be rusty when you start your degree. However, you'll be doing a degree, so you won't be rusty!

You may even need Imperial's permission to apply to UCAS. I don't know, you need to check.

As said above, you should be aware that if you take a gap year, then you risk not going to either.

ReputationRep:
    I could understand if it wasn't Imperial.

Whatever you do, don't live your first year at uni detached, as you think you'll be at Oxfrod next year.
    Because for all you know, Oxford could reject you again, and then you'd have wasted a year, and have no friends.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't leave tbh, speaking as someone doing a similar subject at Oxford. It's great here, but when you are in your final year and sick of the non-stop work you will most likely think, 'why did I leave Imperial, I could have finished my degree by now.'

ReputationRep:
    im sorry but what's tbh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andy12691)
    Maths at Oxford is NOT worth leaving Imperial tbh. It's just not as good as it sounds imo. If you're thinking about reapplying, maybe try Cambridge instead.
    i thought about reapplying to Cambridge, but isnt it harder to get in for Maths? and I just love Oxford!!!

ReputationRep:
    Please note that the Cambridge Colleges will not normally, as a matter of principle, consider applications from students attending other UK universities applying to study the same or a very similar subject at Cambridge.

If you wish to make such an application it will have to be strongly supported by your tutor at your current university. A reference or letter of recommendation from him/her to the Cambridge College will be required, and only then can a Cambridge College consider it.
    http://www.cam.ac.uk/admissions/unde...e/apply/#other
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangin Know)
    im sorry but what's tbh?
    To be honest.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sangin Know)
    i thought about reapplying to Cambridge, but isnt it harder to get in for Maths? and I just love Oxford!!!
    It's harder to get into oxford.

1050 applications this year, 180 places. Cambridge give out far more offers (to compensate for STEP).

And anyway, it sounds like you just want to go to Oxford, not because of the maths course. I really dont think its worth the trouble.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.