Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Training Contract Offer...But then you get a 2:2 at the end of uni. Watch

ReputationRep:
    What happens?

You were successful in your apps and interviews and managed to get a TC offer from X because you were predicted to get a 2:1 etc. But then you end up getting a 2:2 at the end of uni...does that mean your offer is withdrawn because you failed to meet one of the requirements?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by polaroid13)
    What happens?

You were successful in your apps and interviews and managed to get a TC offer from X because you were predicted to get a 2:1 etc. But then you end up getting a 2:2 at the end of uni...does that mean your offer is withdrawn because you failed to meet one of the requirements?
    It depends. If they like you, they may still offer you the place, however, they are in their rights to withdraw the offer. Moral of the story: Make sure you get a 2.1.

ReputationRep:
    Depends what the offer says.

Certainly commercial city firms will specify in your offer that you have to get a 2:1. If you don't get a 2:1 its almost certain that they will withdraw the offer. I am unsure what other types of firm do, but if they require you to get a 2:1 (which I imagine most firms do) this will be stated in your offer.

ReputationRep:
    One of my intake did this and got her TC taken away.. bad times. xx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by blinkbelle)
    Ouch!
    My MC firm didn't specify what we had to get in our degree at all. Of course, they don't really take anyone with a 2.2 prediction, but I know a couple of people got 2.2s in the end - either way they're still employed.
    Maybe this firm is just a bit more laid back than others and values things other than exams? I don't know. Some people at my firm also failed 1-2 LPC modules but were allowed retakes, so it shows that they're not all so harsh!

Funny thing is, I think they're more bothered about the LPC because they're paying for it. Mine sent me letters telling me my attendance wasn't good enough (which I largely ignored, preferring to work in order to pay stupid london rent) but they basically told me it was no longer an issue when I got a distinction without having turned up to much!

It's all relative.

ReputationRep:

(Original post by Happy1)
    Ouch!
    My MC firm didn't specify what we had to get in our degree at all. Of course, they don't really take anyone with a 2.2 prediction, but I know a couple of people got 2.2s in the end - either way they're still employed.
    Maybe this firm is just a bit more laid back than others and values things other than exams? I don't know. Some people at my firm also failed 1-2 LPC modules but were allowed retakes, so it shows that they're not all so harsh!

Funny thing is, I think they're more bothered about the LPC because they're paying for it. Mine sent me letters telling me my attendance wasn't good enough (which I largely ignored, preferring to work in order to pay stupid london rent) but they basically told me it was no longer an issue when I got a distinction without having turned up to much!

It's all relative.
    Which firms were this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by happy1)
    My MC firm didn't specify what we had to get in our degree at all.
    mmm that's really interesting. I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I thought it was absolutely standard practice for MC firms to specify that you get a 2:1 and pass all your LPC modules on the first attempt in the offer.

ReputationRep:
    Which firms were this?
    I wish to stay anonymous. However I've heard it happening among many other City firms - in the current economic climate they're not feeling very obliged to give people TCs who aren't up to standard. xx

ReputationRep:
    A friend of mine received an 'ordinary degree' (i.e. s/he failed to obtain a third class result but still passed her degre) and was able to take up the position she had been offered at one of the country's most successful actuarial firms. She had demonstrated her potential on a work placement scheme and they chose to honour her job offer after meeting with her to discuss what had happened. While this example doesn't relate to law, it does suggest that there's no hard and fast rules and that employers consider each case on its own merits. I would suggest striving to achieve the best result you can. If you have the opportunity to undertake a placement with a firm or meet with its representatives, do endeavour to shine as much as you can -- it might help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    mmm that's really interesting. I'm pretty shocked to be honest, I thought it was absolutely standard practice for MC firms to specify that you get a 2:1 and pass all your LPC modules on the first attempt in the offer.
    Mine specified neither of those things. Some of my intake did fail an LPC module but passed second try (only a couple of people out of 100 or so, but still...)
    As for the degree, I think they just expected us to get what we were predicted.

They offered deferrals before the LPC started, but these weren't compulsory and they haven't revoked anyone's TC offer that I'm aware of.

I don't want to say which one it is, but it's the most laid back MC firm of the 5.

ReputationRep:
    None of my friends in college, who have been offered a TC at 2 MC firms and 2 US firms, had it specified they should get a 2.1, although that may have been due to the fact they already had previous degrees.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate them. And I also respect your professionalism (is that what you would call it lol) about not naming the firms.
    I guess I'm only asking is because, atm, I have a real lack of motivation and I'm kind of struggling with the course, in the sense I'm not keeping up with readings at all. I'm kind of drowning a bit.
    I'm also doubting my academic ability atm. Tbh I don't even know if I'd be good enough to get a TC lol, but a girl can hope...

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all the replies so far guys, really appreciate them. And I also respect your professionalism (is that what you would call it lol) about not naming the firms.
    I guess I'm only asking is because, atm, I have a real lack of motivation and I'm kind of struggling with the course, in the sense I'm not keeping up with readings at all. I'm kind of drowning a bit.
    I'm also doubting my academic ability atm. Tbh I don't even know if I'd be good enough to get a TC lol, but a girl can hope...
    What stage are you at currently? xx

ReputationRep:
    What stage are you at currently? xx
    I'm a second year Law and Business Studies student at Warwick.

ReputationRep:
    Keep working but probably don't worry too much, things only really started coming together for me in my 3rd year its not unusual

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Recently saw something about a firm cancelling a TC due to someone failing some small interview after the LPC (? - not totally sure what this was). Think it was Herbert Smith or Hogan Lovells. Quite harsh!

I think firms can cancel your TC or accept you at their own discretion. Obviously it really depends on the terms of the offer.

It would be a really awful thing to happen so I agree with the moral above - make sure you avoid getting a 2.2!
    I think this was Herbert Smith and it was a student who failed their interviewing assessment.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hmaus)
    Recently saw something about a firm cancelling a TC due to someone failing some small interview after the LPC (? - not totally sure what this was). Think it was Herbert Smith or Hogan Lovells. Quite harsh!

I think firms can cancel your TC or accept you at their own discretion. Obviously it really depends on the terms of the offer.

It would be a really awful thing to happen so I agree with the moral above - make sure you avoid getting a 2.2!
    Herbert Smith

They dropped people last year for failing other exams on the LPC and dropped someone this year for failing interviewing. On the city LPC at BPP (Slaughters, Herbies, Freshfields, Norton Rose and some other firm) I'm pretty sure it was a condition of the TC for each firm that you passed all LPC exams on the first attempt. If you did happen to fail an exam the firms would decide whether or not you keep your TC.

To be fair the LPC is really not difficult and I don't think people have any excuse for failing LPC exams if they plan to go to those firms. You only have to get 50% to pass LPC exams, which is equivalent to like a 3rd/2:2 at uni, and its just a matter of learning some of the stuff. Do have a little sympathy with the interviewing assessment though, I guess its at least possible for unconfident people to freak-out and fail.

ReputationRep:
    I know Norton Rose does not stipulate a grade requirement in their offer letter. It's possible to receive the offer then achieve a 2.2 and still keep the training contract.

ReputationRep:
    Herbert Smith

To be fair the LPC is really not difficult and I don't think people have any excuse for failing LPC exams if they plan to go to those firms. You only have to get 50% to pass LPC exams, which is equivalent to like a 3rd/2:2 at uni, and its just a matter of learning some of the stuff. Do have a little sympathy with the interviewing assessment though.
    Completely agree with this.
    Interviewing is basically just following a script whilst remembering some very simple legal concepts.
    We were told not only which small number of areas it could be on, but also that we would get a practice and there was also some prep time before the actual exam for us to read the brief outline and gather thoughts on the area of law. You even get a skeleton script!!!
    It's so spoon fed I really do think that anyone who is the calibre for Herbies should have no excuse for failing (if there were mitigating circumstances I assume they would have been taken into account by HS)

Anyone who prepares and views it rationally and for what it is (a mere formality) will pass it.

ReputationRep:
    Depends on your terms of offer.

Some firms require a 2.1 or above, some just want you to pass.

Equally, some firms require you to pass all your LPC modules, whereas some firms allow you to retake once.

No matter what, HR have discretion and the last say.
    CC's were looking to reduce its TC intake in 2009 due to the recession and let go of 4 of its LPC students because they failed one module - and as that wasnt enough they then offered £10,000 to students who were willing to defer their TC start date by a year.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.