Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does anyone like the Hollister shops? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm supposed to be writing a Lab Report right now but I'd prefer to post pointless threads on TSR.

I went shopping a few days ago and this was the first time I'd ever been into a Hollister store (Bristol). I've been looking for some new jeans and my flatmate was raving about Hollister so I had a look on the website and found some that I quite liked. I sashayed into said store avec younger sister (who loves Hollister) was not particularly impressed. Seriously, why is it so dark in there? It was like being in the reptile house at the Zoo. Do they not want you to be able to see the clothes or something? The decor is really tacky, especially the outside of the store. The music was also really loud, I couldn't hear a word my sister or the dressing room assistants were saying. I had a pounding headache within five minutes of being in the store.

I thought that some of the clothes were quite nice and I liked the jeans and am considering buying them on-line. The prices are reasonable, albeit at the high end of what I would pay for most items.

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up. I wanted to try on the smaller size, but my sister had buggered off and the assistant ignored me as she was talking to another assistant, so I went and got them without putting my shoes back on. I know this is abnormal behaviour in a store but I didn't really care at the time, I do it in other shops. The assistant looked horrified when I returned and she let me back in the changing room.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:

ReputationRep:
    how do assists cope with the music is what im thinking.....

ReputationRep:
    Is it Hollister or A&F that spray that fragrance everywhere??

Smells like a bunch of pre-pubescent teens. Bleh.

I refuse to shop at those stores, and Jack Wills. The closest I ever came to that was Superdry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Is it Hollister or A&F that spray that fragrance everywhere??

Smells like a bunch of pre-pubescent teens. Bleh.

I refuse to shop at those stores, and Jack Wills. The closest I ever came to that was Superdry.
    Miss Leamington Spa Galaxy shouldn't stoop so low. :nah:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Philbert)

The thing that really riles me about the place is the whole pretentious 'surfer' Abercrombie-wannabe atmosphere. They sure like to shove that down your throat. I found the staff to be rather stuck up. I wanted to try on the smaller size, but my sister had buggered off and the assistant ignored me as she was talking to another assistant, so I went and got them without putting my shoes back on. I know this is abnormal behaviour in a store but I didn't really care at the time, I do it in other shops. The assistant looked horrified when I returned and she let me back in the changing room.

I don't really know where I'm going with this. This was only my personal experience, I want to hear others' views about this store. Back to work, then :getmecoat:
    I thought Hollister was an extension of the Abercrombie brand...or at least owned by the same company...?
    I agree though about the darkness and loud music...its a bit unnecessary...its more like being in a bar than a club! And personally I think the clothes are quite plain especially for the price.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    I thought Hollister was an extension of the Abercrombie brand...or at least owned by the same company...?
    I agree though about the darkness and loud music...its a bit unnecessary...its more like being in a bar than a club! And personally I think the clothes are quite plain especially for the price.
    It is the same company. Hollister is the cheaper version, aimed at a slightly younger audience. Some of their stuff is really cheap in the sale section.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by infintywhirls)
    It is the same company. Hollister is the cheaper version, aimed at a slightly younger audience. Some of their stuff is really cheap in the sale section.
    Aha fair enough. I got confused because OP said they thought Hollister was an Abercrombie-wannabe

ReputationRep:
    I couldn't work there because of the smell. I get a headache just walking past that shop.

Also, I'm not tall, blonde and slim. Well, not tall and blonde anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by unknownking321)
    Miss Leamington Spa Galaxy shouldn't stoop so low. :nah:
    I know. I was very ashamed, but I have repented by shopping at Primark.

ReputationRep:
    I like the look of them and the idea as quite original compared to other shops but they just aren't practical. The one in Westfield is small and always really packed. The atmosphere makes me think I'd rather walk through than look in and have a proper browse, I get impatient. Also the clothes look like they are from Matalan (bar a few) plain and not worth the price they are.

Rant over.

ReputationRep:
    The girls who work there have to be really attractive right? I know two girls who work there :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    So many people, are too "embarassed" to go in there. Or if they're wearing the "wrong clothes" that day, or having a bad hair day or whatever, they don't want to go in, because they don't want to be judged. I think it's disgusting that a high street shop is making young people feel this way. Obviously this doesn't apply to everyone, but I have overheard it A LOT in conversations etc. :/

Personally, I only like the hoodies, but then i prefer A&F but I only have like 1 of their items. I'd just rather shop in other shops...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Linzikins)
    I like the look of them and the idea as quite original compared to other shops but they just aren't practical. The one in Westfield is small and always really packed. The atmosphere makes me think I'd rather walk through than look in and have a proper browse, I get impatient. Also the clothes look like they are from Matalan (bar a few) plain and not worth the price they are.

Rant over.
    Harry Styles. 'nuff said. <3

ReputationRep:
    Well the girls are all aspiring models there, for some reason I don't get why even in my local town where I know everyone, the hollister girls, I have never met before. Weird. Maybe they ship them in from abroad.

It's taken hold here this past 18 months and now every 16-19 year old is wearing a hollister t-shirt. Hollister slacks (my god he actually spent £50 on those) and sporting a bad hairstyle such as the models all over the walls of the shop, only not as good.

It's the ultimate retail tactic against the middle-class ***** kids I have come to resent after spending 20 years beign amongst them, cos you know, I am one.

It is a good thing now because before I used to have to listen to a c*nt before I knew he/she was ****, now the ''hollister'' logo is like a huge flag saying ''c*nt'' in a bar, so now before I get in a conversation with one, I know right away not to pay any attention to them.

And the shop, it's so dark I don't know what colour I am buying, and the albums they sell? Dear god they have marketed that to these *****? Just look at the albums they sell, dear god I might cry. Anyone every bought one? ACtually paying 50% extra because it's from a hollister shop? I bet that makes the music good, but no worries, at least you can put it in your car and pretend you're cool some more.

Anywhoo, it's a shop for pretenders and posers who used to wear river island and topman, but now went a bit more exotic and now pretend they are surfers.

I work for a real surfer's brand, cos you know I am actually into those sports. Hollister on the other hand, it's for mid-pubescent guys who need the **** attitude smacked out of them that only dress and do those sports to try and impress girls such as the ones that work in that shop. They sport half patchy grizzle and unproportionate bodies, either because of the puberty, the masturbation or the simple bicep workouts they do everyday to try and look better in their £30 t-shirts.

I hope they enjoy being ***** and wondering where the best years of their life went. I myself although socially challened at the best of times can get the affection of a girl without making penis jokes and acting like a c*unt.

So yea, I don't shop at hollister anymore.

ReputationRep:
    Ehhh. i think a store just opened in the Bullring, but I haven't been and don't intend to go either. Not really my kinda clothes and I don't like the company's ethics in general.

ReputationRep:
    I only go in cos the girls are hot

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hooovan*)
    Ehhh. i think a store just opened in the Bullring, but I haven't been and don't intend to go either. Not really my kinda clothes and I don't like the company's ethics in general.
    Wanna go to Selfridges wimme?

If I'm gonna pay extortionate prices on non-designer clothing then I'll go to All Saints. Their clothes are teh sex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gabbycat_Almighty)
    Ah, I see. I didn't realise that. I just assumed it was a cheap rip-off of Abercrombie. I suppose it is, in a way,

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RahRah09)
    Wanna go to Selfridges wimme?

If I'm gonna pay extortionate prices on non-designer clothing then I'll go to All Saints. Their clothes are teh sex.
    Woo, lets go! I actually don't buy from All Saints much, because it's so expensive ..but hey, what are Christmas lists for!

ReputationRep:
    The girls arent even hot i find. The darkness is what gets me, surely you want to SEE what you are buying?

Oh and the smell, omg

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.