Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Pissed off with my housemates demands for money? Watch

Last month they demanded £30 towards cleaning products and loo roll and because they caught me at a really bad time I just handed it over before thinking. Now I'm getting repeated texts with demands for more money off one of my housemates despite me buying my own stuff now, she says this is debt from before I started buying my own.

I'm never there when this stuff is supposedly bought and only ever see a few loo rolls and some bleach for my money so I really don't want to hand more over at all. But I don't want to alienate myself either

To put it in perspective if actually all the money I have given/have been asked for was genuienely being used for household items and this was fairly divided between 5 then we would have spent £200 since we moved in four months ago!?!?

ffs, what do I do?

ReputationRep:
    Ask to see receipts for any household purchases before you hang over money?

ReputationRep:
    Just say, look these things can't be that expensive, what are you buying?

ReputationRep:
    Are some peeps using the loo rolls for other purposes or what? Like mummifying each other? £200 for four months is crazy for household. £30 for four months should be more than enough unless you've all had serious problems or they've been drinking the bleach - sounds like they think you've got cash...

ReputationRep:
    id ask to see receipts for what they buy. But also remember that just because you only use a little bit of bleach this money could be going towards other cleaning products that make the house livable in for you even if you dont use them yourself.

ReputationRep:
    Actually I can see this from the other point of view, last year one of my housemates never gave any money for cleaning stuff, nor would he buy anything, if he didnt buy it we would go without or one of the rest of us would have to - somewhat unfair, although saying that £30 a month sounds ridiculous, I pay that for the gas and electric! I probably spend less than £5 a month on cleaning products for my house, so even allowing for needing extra loo roll and things for your place you should probably only be paying £5 at most....
    eg. this is what I pay
    12 loo rolls £2
    washing up liquid - 75p
    bin bags - £1
    bleach - £1
    dish sponges x 5 - 12p

and even then I dont need to buy all of that every month.....

As the poster above said Id ask to see receipts, also if you really want to be pedantic like I ended up doing last year, don't bother buying any loo roll for the rest of them, keep a roll in your room and take it to the loo when you need it - people eventually get the message

ReputationRep:
    I'd say that's too much, I pretty much do all the buying for the cleaning stuff for a house of 6. Last time i went I got bleach, bathroom cleaner, kitchen cleaner, cloths, sponges and a whole load of toilet roll for £7 which would last the month for all of us. If you live with girls then they eat toilet roll so i imagine it'd be a little higher than that! Ask to see receipts and ask them to shop somewhere a little cheaper next time (Aldi/Lidl) where cleaner stuff is pretty much under a pound for anything, Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    Ask her what she spent the money on, simple as. It's doubtful she'll be able to give you a receipt if she's asking you for money some time ago. £30 off you seems like a lot - especially if you have 3 or 4 housemates who should in theory be paying the same amount.

How much money are they asking off you for previous purchases?

ReputationRep:
    you're whipped son

ReputationRep:
    My flatmates ask for £5 a month. Even so I still end up buying most stuff I need - cos by the time they get around it would be too late. Its funny cos it still disappears!

ReputationRep:
    Contribute a reasonable amount. Say to her that you can't see it costing £30, but you'll put in a £5 or something.

Lol uni students have funny arguments over who's using who's loo-roll and who's eaten who's food.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell em' to **** off.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe you shouldn't have been free-loading in the first place?

ReputationRep:
    Tell em to suck on your massive clit!

ReputationRep:
    Words are useless in a situation as dire as this.
    Next time they tell you to cough up the cash, just give 'em one of these looks...

ReputationRep:
    Just tell 'em you dont wipe your arse! They wont even go near you!

ReputationRep:
    Last time I lived in a shared house with 3 others, 2 of us would go out and buy the stuff for cleaning every now and then and it'd only cost a few quid per person.
    • TSR Support Team

I wonder what they really want the money for :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Last month they demanded £30 towards cleaning products and loo roll and because they caught me at a really bad time I just handed it over before thinking. Now I'm getting repeated texts with demands for more money off one of my housemates despite me buying my own stuff now, she says this is debt from before I started buying my own.
    It's pretty obvious they think you're a pushover and they're taking advantage of that don't you think?

ReputationRep:
    Don't hand any money over unless they have the receipts and the products to prove what they've been buying. People will try to fleece you for whatever you're willing to give them.. give money willingly the first time, and they'll try it again. Vicious circle.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.