Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Bit of a n00b when it comes to computers so you'll have to bear with me unfortunately.

A little while back my Disk Tray stopped working and I've forever put off trying to fix it. Well I've just had a look inside the PC and there's only one cable connected to the drive. According to the internet there should be two cables at least. The one that is connected appears to be a power cable and the "molex" cable they talk of online appears to be hanging loose but there isn't anywhere to connect it?

Anyone have any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matty-)
    Bit of a n00b when it comes to computers so you'll have to bear with me unfortunately.

A little while back my Disk Tray stopped working and I've forever put off trying to fix it. Well I've just had a look inside the PC and there's only one cable connected to the drive. According to the internet there should be two cables at least. The one that is connected appears to be a power cable and the "molex" cable they talk of online appears to be hanging loose but there isn't anywhere to connect it?

Anyone have any ideas?
    When you turn your PC, can you eject the CD drive?

ReputationRep:
    Nope it doesn't eject. Which is the problem sorry.

ReputationRep:
    Nope it doesn't eject. Which is the problem sorry.
    Are you sure it's power that's going to the back of it? Every* CD drive I've ever used has ejected with power going to it, regardless of whether there's a data connection between it and the motherboard.

Is there any chance you can take a photo of the back of it for us?

*Aside broken ones

ReputationRep:
    Well like I said I'm a bit of a n00b so I'm assuming it's a power cable but it may not be. It's a thin black cable.

ReputationRep:
    Take a picture.

ReputationRep:
    Well like I said I'm a bit of a n00b so I'm assuming it's a power cable but it may not be. It's a thin black cable.
    Yeah if you get a picture we might be able to help

ReputationRep:
    I'll take a pic tomorrow morning and get it uploaded but for now; http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/img/d...connectors.jpg the cable on the right is the one which appears to be connected. The second is dangling about miles away but the end of the cable is slightly different.

ReputationRep:
    I'll take a pic tomorrow morning and get it uploaded but for now; http://www.hardwarezone.com.my/img/d...connectors.jpg the cable on the right is the one which appears to be connected. The second is dangling about miles away but the end of the cable is slightly different.
    the one on the left is the power cable I think, that might be why

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.