Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Barbell Shoulder Press: Seated Vs Standing? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I find I can lift more weight seated compared to standing, and that the straight bench on my back helps me keep my form strict, so surely seated is best for shoulder and tricep development.
    But standing helps balance the rest of the body and feels more functional, any opinions anyone?

ReputationRep:
    You lift more weight becuase you can push back into the bench and use your chest more.

Standing is superior for shoulders

I always stand

If I sit, I don't use back support

ReputationRep:
      I sit cos I usually do them straight after deadlifts and I'm lazy, standing is more effective

ReputationRep:
      (Original post by MattGriff)
      You lift more weight becuase you can push back into the bench and use your chest more.

Standing is superior for shoulders
      :s correct me if i'm wrong, but surely if you're on a bench with the back support at 90 degrees, and pressing the barbell vertically then the chest doesn't come into play at all? :s

most people you will see arch the back

ReputationRep:
        I sit whilst doing it but my back arches really badly, trying to stop myself to improve posture but I struggle to keep my back straight, can tell I'm going to injure myself if I overdo it...

Annoying.

probably because the weights are too heavy, use lighter and keep the back straight.

ReputationRep:
          (Original post by xc1991)
          :s correct me if i'm wrong, but surely if you're on a bench with the back support at 90 degrees, and pressing the barbell vertically then the chest doesn't come into play at all? :s
          You are wrong

ReputationRep:
          If you do it standing up, not on a smith machine of course, you get a free core workout too...

Submit reply
        TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 21, 2010
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
        What newspaper do you read/prefer?
      • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
        Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.