Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    What does everybody think about this?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...overnment.html

ReputationRep:
    It's no big deal. All he said was that if he walked out then the government was screwed. We all knew that. We all know that there's a certain amount of that in anything a coalition government does; that's how they play the game.

ReputationRep:
    ...and then told the press he was ashamed of what he said and was totally committed to the coalition, spineless arse.

ReputationRep:
    Lol @ his bskyb comments I love Robert Peston guy has sick contacts

ReputationRep:
    I probably like the Lib Dems as much as Cable likes Tories, but for the sake of the country I support the coalition.

ReputationRep:
    wtf is a vince cable

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by loki276)
    Lol @ his bskyb comments I love Robert Peston guy has sick contacts

lol true

As a tory, my respect of Vince has risen enormously.

Although I understand David Cameron's sentiments of bringing change, I do feel "change" has been rushed through. Alot of these changes are brilliant. There is no denying that.
    I worry about the "rush" of it all.

However, more to the point, Vince maybe a threat but he is clever and to do away with him in the coalition would be worrying.

The Time isn't a great fan of Cable...
    http://www.thetimes.co.uk/tto/news/p...cle2851191.ece

However, I stand here with a smile,

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/robertpeston/

In the run up to the election, I was concerned with pro Murdoch rhetoric in the party which is why I was very glad of this coalition. Vince Cable declaring war on Murdoch is fantastic.

Personally, I would allow Murdoch to have full control but with strict regulation on impartiality. I wouldn't want a foxification of skynews. To the point, I would personally help grow the BBC commercial services, in particular bbc worldwide, I would allow or create a merger between the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 so that there is a blance to bskyb.

Saying that something smells slightly fishy about this whole thing:

Although the Daily Telegraph reported on this, they did not release the whole script in particular the Murdoch takeover, in fact, they left that behind and failed to mention that. I am assuming because they were waiting for the rejection. Once rejected, it would be up to them if they published it or not. It wouldn't have an impact.

The release of Vince Cable comments about the takeover is way before the decision being made. In fact it was the BBC who managed to get the full transcript and publish it. All this week the BBC has been very supportive of Murdoch to the extent of even suggesting that Sky should be like Fox News. It seems that the BBC are really in bed with Murdoch. Is this hatred an illusion?

ReputationRep:
    I loathe the man. A strutting, pompous, sanctimonious arse who looks like some sort of troll and comes out with a lot of cheap, populist nonsense.

Although it may damage the coalition, I can't say I'd mind seeing him out of government.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by L i b)
    I loathe the man. A strutting, pompous, sanctimonious arse who looks like some sort of troll and comes out with a lot of cheap, populist nonsense.

Although it may damage the coalition, I can't say I'd mind seeing him out of government.
    Absolutely. Perhaps he can be replaced by David Laws? They want him back right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Teaddict)
    David Laws is acceptable, but he hasn't been cleared by Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards (according to ConservativeHome).

ReputationRep:
    As far as I am aware Vince the Cable has still got the job. So it is the question of whether at some point in the future, will Mr Cable swap places with Mr Laws on the naughty step?
    For now, Vince the Cable has been given a warning and probably lollipop has gone walkies. Next time, he would think twice or otherwise he is on the naughty step. tut tut.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    David Laws is acceptable, but he hasn't been cleared by Parliamentary Commissioner for Standards (according to ConservativeHome).

Fair enough.

(Original post by The_Male_Melons)
    As far as I am aware Vince the Cable has still got the job. So it is the question of whether at some point in the future, will Mr Cable swap places with Mr Laws on the naughty step?
    For now, Vince the Cable has been given a warning and probably lollipop has gone walkies. Next time, he would think twice or otherwise he is on the naughty step. tut tut.
    He has the job, but I wonder if at the reshuffle he will remain?

ReputationRep:
    He's likely damaged his own credibility so badly with these comments that the coalition could quite easily get shot of him.

ReputationRep:
    They can't throw him out-he's got a too strong a base in the Lib Dems and the combination of Hughes, Kennedy and Cable on the backbenches would be very combustable indeed. Easier to keep him in the cabinet and to do that he needs a senior role...

He's been very foolish but I've still got a lot of respect for him (one of the few coalition ministers I've got any time for)

ReputationRep:
    hes basically gone on an ego trip now he finally has a tiny shrivel of power.

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough.

He has the job, but I wonder if at the reshuffle he will remain?
    He is a character and certainly speaks for the left wing liberal democrats. And to remove him could be damaging for this coalition but also for the tories as well.

It is not going to be viewed as Clegg-over kicking the cable man out. It will be our greatest leader, call me dave who will be in the poo poo.

To answer your question, the safe bet is, stick with the cable man despite the damage.

It is understandable that Vince the Cable damaged his reputation. He is meant to be fair, balanced and impartial. However, there is an opposite effect, it seems as if he has a surge of popularity and approval.

However, Cable could resign - it does not matter what he says. People would have made assumptions. Judging from leading newspapers, commentators, blogs and forums, the opinion is essentially, "Criticise Murdoch, your out of the job". That does not look good for the coalition and the Conservative Party. For the reasons above, it could be the end all of the government. This is dangerous and highly sensitive territory. The only way out or lessen the impact is if I was Jeremy Hunt:

1. Leave opinions to one side

2. Based on the findings of the EU (which has approved Murdoch's takeover), UK Competition Commission and OFCOM, make the decision.

Whether there is an approval or a rejection, at least there is evidence, that can be relied on to back up the decision?

ReputationRep:
    I have a bit more respect for him.

ReputationRep:
    something tells me, if a tory cabinet member had said something equally as stupid like;

'im going to go to war with the trade unions'

people would have made a much larger fuss.

ReputationRep:
    I suspect Vince is shooting with blanks. Yes he could press the Nuclear button, but he also must know that if Cameron then called an election the Liberals would be very badly hurt at the polls, not just for a term but for a very long time.

Of course Cameron would not wish to do this, it might well open the door to unhappy Liberal voters departing to Labour and some form of Left of Centre grouping in control thereafter.

We are back to the cold war, yes Vince has the weapon, and he can huff and puff about using it, but he cannot be sure if he does whether Cameron would then also go Nuclear.

Stalemate, neither can afford the current position to fall at this point in the cycle, both would be hurt.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.