Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Hard white spot under tongue Watch

Hi, I hope one of you can help me to figure something out.

Just below my tongue has been a "spot" for years now. It doesn't hurt as long as I don't keep playing with it with my tongue. When I first realised it I thought it was just temporary but it kept being there, mostly without me actively realising it over the years. I thought it would be some kind of infection or whatever, but it kept being there even when taking antibiotics for some time.

What has changed is that I had a closer look at it and tried to "pop it" a few days ago. Only then I've realised that it is not a "normal" spot and that the white doesn't indicate sanies/pus, but that it feels very much like normal tissue, except for it being relatively hard. It's just white and "blobs up".

What I'm trying to say is that it's a bit like a mushroom - below the more or less round, white and hard part is only a bit of skin that keeps it in place. Thus, I thought of ripping it out but I think this would be very painful (as it's sitting where the mucosa meets the tongue). If this should be something to get rid of, I guess I should let a doctor handle it...

Anyway, I've included a photo. I'd very much appreciate any helpful advice of what it might be and whether it's a problem or not.

I'm male, in my mid twenties, am not aware of any (other) diseases in my mouth or elsewhere. Internet research was unsuccessful as I only found plenty of information about white marks on the skin or spots but not white spots...

Photo

Sorry for the bad quality.

ReputationRep:
    just go to a doctor.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a qualified doctor and can tell you that the technical term for this is "hard white spot under tongue." Roughly 0.1% of the population are affected by this and it usually signifies a low sex drive and/or small penis.

ReputationRep:
    Looks like aids to me.

ReputationRep:
    If it has been persistantly there for a year than it could be a lesion indicating a secluded mouth cancer which hasn't spread yet.

(Original post by Dekota-XS)
    If it has been persistantly there for a year than it could be a lesion indicating a secluded mouth cancer which hasn't spread yet.
    This is what I've been thinking. But I'm not well aware of the system in the UK so where would I go to, a GP or a dentist, when it comes to mouth problems?

Thanks to your provision of new terms to search for, I expect it to be:

answer

Salivary Gland Stones (Salivary Calculi)

One or more stones sometimes form in one of the salivary glands. The chemicals in saliva can sometimes crystallise into a stone which can cause a blockage of the flow of saliva, which can lead to pain and swelling of the affected salivary gland. The reason why these stones form is not known. Sometimes a stone comes out into the mouth on its own, or with gentle probing. However, in many cases a small procedure is needed to remove the stone.

ReputationRep:
    Crystalised semen.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    This is what I've been thinking. But I'm not well aware of the system in the UK so where would I go to, a GP or a dentist, when it comes to mouth problems?

Thanks to your provision of new terms to search for, I expect it to be:

answer

Salivary Gland Stones (Salivary Calculi)

One or more stones sometimes form in one of the salivary glands. The chemicals in saliva can sometimes crystallise into a stone which can cause a blockage of the flow of saliva, which can lead to pain and swelling of the affected salivary gland. The reason why these stones form is not known. Sometimes a stone comes out into the mouth on its own, or with gentle probing. However, in many cases a small procedure is needed to remove the stone.
    If it was oral cancer, you'd know by now.

It's probably a stone as it's in the area of a major salivary gland duct. No biggie.

ReputationRep:
    looks like a salivary calculi but i would get it checked out

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 25, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.