Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm planning to use my christmas money to get a tattoo but I can't find one I really like. I want preferably a tribal styled Phoenix but I will be happy with a different type of bird . Any help/ advice would be very helpful

ReputationRep:
    Don't get a tattoo until you know 100% what you want.

Also, if you've got the idea, you can talk to a tattooist who will help you design it, so that you end up with something unique that you didn't find on google images.

ReputationRep:
    don't just get a tattoo for the sake of it, make sure it has a meaning otherwise you'll regret it.

ReputationRep:
    I've been wanting a tattoo for ages I'm not just getting one for the sake of getting one I really like how they look specially tribal but's there sort of too many I like to decide which is why I asked for ideas. I tried designing my own but they always come out **** tattoo design isn't my best skill

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)
    I've been wanting a tattoo for ages I'm not just getting one for the sake of getting one I really like how they look specially tribal but's there sort of too many I like to decide which is why I asked for ideas. I tried designing my own but they always come out **** tattoo design isn't my best skill
    That's why you should go talk to a tattoo artist. They're not called 'artists' for nothing. Tell tehm your ideas and they'll help design it, draw a sketch for you, etc.

ReputationRep:
    This ftwhttp://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...w=1440&bih=663

ReputationRep:
    Gather several images you like, even certain parts of a bird, and then take them to your chosen tattooist. They'll draw up a sketch of all the elements you like from the pictures you've provided and design your tattoo to suit you.

You'll probably need to put down a deposit before they'll design your tat, but it's worth it to get a bespoke piece.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Revd. Mike)
    That's why you should go talk to a tattoo artist. They're not called 'artists' for nothing. Tell tehm your ideas and they'll help design it, draw a sketch for you, etc.
    The point I'm trying to make is my idea's are quiet frankly **** I know what I want I just can't really put it together correctly. I have already done this as one of my friends is a tattooist and I liked none of my idea's and neither did she. I can't think in the correct way to get the design right I've tried to draw loads myself and I never like them. I don't have the talent to think up tattoo's I would rather something that I liked rather than something I tried to tried to think up and looks bad.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Gather several images you like, even certain parts of a bird, and then take them to your chosen tattooist. They'll draw up a sketch of all the elements you like from the pictures you've provided and design your tattoo to suit you.

You'll probably need to put down a deposit before they'll design your tat, but it's worth it to get a bespoke piece.
    I've already tried this with my tattooist friend as well and she told me about the deposit the results were the same as my own designs **** but not as bad. With my own design's I always end up getting locked into one style or one pattern which always makes them boring. No idea why this happens it just does. With using a bunch of images I like such a variety of stuff none of it fits together very well

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JWH)
    I've already tried this with my tattooist friend as well and she told me about the deposit the results were the same as my own designs **** but not as bad. With my own design's I always end up getting locked into one style or one pattern which always makes them boring. No idea why this happens it just does. With using a bunch of images I like such a variety of stuff none of it fits together very well
    Then you've not chosen a particularly good tattooist if they can't sketch up a design you like based on pictures you've chosen.

There are so many rubbish tattooists out there; more bad than good, so do keep looking for the good ones. They ARE out there, so if your tattoo is important to you, and you view it as a work of art, then you'll need to pay for an artist, not a scratcher.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)
    Then you've not chosen a particularly good tattooist if they can't sketch up a design you like based on pictures you've chosen.

There are so many rubbish tattooists out there; more bad than good, so do keep looking for the good ones. They ARE out there, so if your tattoo is important to you, and you view it as a work of art, then you'll need to pay for an artist, not a scratcher.
    My friend isn't the tattooist I will be having it done with I was just talking to them first as I couldn't sort out anything till I got home and I only last week got back from uni so most of it was been done over facebook convo's :giggle:

I know all about good and bad tattoo's pretty much every person old enough in my family has one and I person I planning to have do mine is rather good and has been recommended to me by a fair few people . The point I've been trying to make is that I don't trust my own judgement with designs and very rarely can I explain to someone exactly what I want as when I usually design something I'm doing it myself so I don't have to. But this is a situation where my own drawing skills won't cut it.

Well none of this matters now just spent the last few idea's mashing together some patterns and designs I liked and after trial error and some photoshop managed to get something I like rather a lot. Going down the tattooist tomorrow to see what they think.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.