Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am looking to read up on some philosophy out of just self-interest. I asked a friend of mine who is doing philosophy at university. She told me to look up:

General Philosophy
    Moral Philosophy, and
    Elementary logic

I have no idea what these are! :confused: Could somebody please clear up what these three tropics actually are? Also, any book titles that would perhaps help me to have some introductory knowledge on these.

Thanks. Appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Umm there are oxford very short introduction books for each of those topics

philosophy a very short introduction
    ethics a very short introduction
    logic a very short ....

There are also a couple of threads floating around here about general starting material
    for philosophy.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=951407
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=188974

They have a lot of general philosophy recommendations but if you want to get into specific things right away i think the VSI books would be good to start with

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nightrider94)
    I am looking to read up on some philosophy out of just self-interest. I asked a friend of mine who is doing philosophy at university. She told me to look up:

General Philosophy
    Moral Philosophy, and
    Elementary logic

I have no idea what these are! :confused: Could somebody please clear up what these three tropics actually are? Also, any book titles that would perhaps help me to have some introductory knowledge on these.

Thanks. Appreciated.
    If you just want a good philosophy read try John Stuart Mill's, On Liberty! Some of the language is a bit hard to grasp but it's really interesting and really makes you think about current affairs, government and freedom!!
    Really specific philosophy like philosophy of art or God can be interesting but I find that they're not so relevant in real life so lose their appeal a bit when things get tricky!!
    Hope you like

ReputationRep:
    General introduction: Think by Simon Blackbrun

Start with:

Plato: Five dialougues
    On liberty -Mill
    Meditations -Descartes
    Logic - Wilfred Hodges

If too difficult try:

The pig that wants to be eaten - Julian Baggin
    Philosophy of Right - Hegel

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.