Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any 'decent' or highly rated Pilates books or DVD's?

I'm planning on joining my local gym in January and signing up to Yoga and Pilates, but would like to start learning Pilates now... does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Whenever I see Pilates classes in my gym it just looks like utter nonsense and an incredibly inefficient use of time for the benefits one would get for the exercise

Why do you wanna do pilates? Is it to "tone"?

ReputationRep:
    Ilora, not see you grace these parts for a while hope you're well.

Try this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pilates-Body.../dp/0718144236

a-t you have to understand bro not everyone wants to do the most optimal thing such as weightlifting, lasses oft do yoga and pilates to relax and become more flexible.

The real thing is with training that you have to enjoy it to be consistent at it, no point in flaming Ilora if she doesn't want to do powercleans etc, she wouldn't stick to them anyway. Given she has chosen these two, yoga being good for flexibility and relaxation and pilates being very good for stability and core training vs nothing then leave her to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    a-t you have to understand bro not everyone wants to do the most optimal thing such as weightlifting, lasses oft do yoga and pilates to relax and become more flexible.

The real thing is with training that you have to enjoy it to be consistent at it, no point in flaming Ilora if she doesn't want to do powercleans etc, she wouldn't stick to them anyway. Given she has chosen these two, yoga being good for flexibility and relaxation and pilates being very good for stability and core training vs nothing then leave her to it.
    Well beats nothing, there's a couple of buff girls who do pilates at my gym on Wednesdays who come into the free weights section and squat afterwards, they're ok by me

not a perv

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    Whenever I see Pilates classes in my gym it just looks like utter nonsense and an incredibly inefficient use of time for the benefits one would get for the exercise

Why do you wanna do pilates? Is it to "tone"?
    No it's not to 'tone' - urgh, I hate that word.

I have hypermobility syndrome and am extremely flexible naturally, but as a result need to build up strength in my core etc.

I have a neck/shoulder injury atm and my physio said Pilates would be wonderful for me, considering I'm already advanced in Yoga.

Thanks Matt, other than having damaged my acromioclavicular joint in a car accident in November I'm well Thanks for your link.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ilora-Danon)

I have hypermobility syndrome and am extremely flexible naturally, but as a result need to build up strength in my core etc.
    oh really? Bubbles de Milo has that too

ReputationRep:

I have a neck/shoulder injury atm and my physio said Pilates would be wonderful for me, considering I'm already advanced in Yoga.

Thanks Matt, other than having damaged my acromioclavicular joint in a car accident in November I'm well Thanks for your link.
    i have that too, it sucks. i did try yoga but my physio said not to do it as im flexible enough as it is so yoga would just make my problem worse. keep meaning to try pilates but as far as i know theres nowhere near me that does it and cant afford a gym even if i could find somewhere.

ReputationRep:

Sounds painful, did you have to have a screw plate? I am assuming not if it was november and your looking to train now?

I know some really good rotaor cuff excercises which may also help with the injury (or just youtube them) as stability in that area is always useful.

Never done pilates myself, not much point at my level of lifting but I hear good things about it, especially for recovery and what not so I think you are onto a winner.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have any DVD/site recommendations, but I can really recommend Pilates in general. I do it once a week at my gym, in addition to weights and cardio, and as a result I have better balance and flexibility. I also always come out of it feeling really happy and energised, which can never be a bad thing!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 22, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.