Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I think I made the wrong decision about my uni course... Watch

ReputationRep:
    Im at uni now doing Media and Culture with English Literature but originally wanted to do Music Industry Management. I changed my course because I wanted a course that would open more doors for more opportunities.

To be honest the course Im doing now sucks and I hate it so much- I cant help but think about how it would have been if I stuck to my original choice and keep feeling a sense of regret. And with the whole university funding situation thats happening now its too late to make any changes and Im now stuck being unhappy with my course for the next 3 years. This thought really depresses me cos my heart is something else and music industry management is something Im passionate about- its just I thought that it was too restrictive when it comes to employment.

I dont know WHAT to do, anyone ever felt like this??
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    Cant you tranfer to different course after the first year?

I am not at uni yet, but I have heard people talk about it. :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hwalusimo1)
    Im at uni now doing Media and Culture with English Literature but originally wanted to do Music Industry Management. I changed my course because I wanted a course that would open more doors for more opportunities.

To be honest the course Im doing now sucks and I hate it so much- I cant help but think about how it would have been if I stuck to my original choice and keep feeling a sense of regret. And with the whole university funding situation thats happening now its too late to make any changes and Im now stuck being unhappy with my course for the next 3 years. This thought really depresses me cos my heart is something else and music industry management is something Im passionate about- its just I thought that it was too restrictive when it comes to employment.

I dont know WHAT to do, anyone ever felt like this??
    Have you asked anyone to change your course? Id better in enquire in your first year, I know of a few people that have changed their courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Purple Haze)
    Have you asked anyone to change your course? Id better in enquire in your first year, I know of a few people that have changed their courses.
    The university that Im at doesnt offer the course that I wanted to go for originally. Plus its too late to change my course

ReputationRep:
    The university that Im at doesnt offer the course that I wanted to go for originally. Plus its too late to change my course
    Ooh i see! can you not get involved with the music industry through work experiences and such like, if you have an interest in. which would widen your career options even further? Only basics are covered in the first semester so maybe either another uni or similar course to the one you wanted to do will let you on?

x

ReputationRep:
    Ooh i see! can you not get involved with the music industry through work experiences and such like, if you have an interest in. which would widen your career options even further? Only basics are covered in the first semester so maybe either another uni or similar course to the one you wanted to do will let you on?

x
    I was thinking of starting again at another university but wouldnt that mess up my student loan? Would the university funding thing affect me in anyway- that's what scares me the most, I think :confused:

ReputationRep:
    I was thinking of starting again at another university but wouldnt that mess up my student loan? Would the university funding thing affect me in anyway- that's what scares me the most, I think :confused:
    I have no idea im afraid! Its probably best to speak to your uni the uni you want to go to and the student fiance people! Some unis do let you go straight into the second year but obviously it would depend on them and how much you have already missed etc.

x

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea im afraid! Its probably best to speak to your uni the uni you want to go to and the student fiance people! Some unis do let you go straight into the second year but obviously it would depend on them and how much you have already missed etc.

x
    Ok, thank you!

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is allowed one "false start"meaning that you are entitled to four years worth of student funding (if doing a three year degree). This can be extended even further but only in certain circumstances e.g. illness

So if the course you want to apply for is a three year degree then you should still receive funding for those three years.

The increase in tuition fees is expected to come into place in 2012. So if you start in 2012 or later you will probably be expected to pay the increased fees. If you start next year (September/Oct 2011) then you'll pay the current fees throughout the course.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    Everyone is allowed one "false start"meaning that you are entitled to four years worth of student funding (if doing a three year degree). This can be extended even further but only in certain circumstances e.g. illness

So if the course you won't to apply for is a three year degree then you should still receive funding for those three years.

The increase in tuition fees is expected to come into place in 2012. So if you start in 2012 or later you will probably be expected to pay the increased fees. If you start next year (September/Oct 2011) then you'll pay the current fees throughout the course.
    Oh, ok...thanks a relief! Thanks alot, thats put my mind at ease!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.