Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In the same dilemma now, but for Computer Science.

So.. Aber or Kent for Computer Science? Thoughts anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I have no experience of being at the universities themselves but based purely on location I would pick Aberystwyth. I have been there a couple of times and really enjoyed it.

But you should look at what you want from university because you can pick the best location or maybe the one which is highest on the league tables.

ReputationRep:
    Between the 3, though Aber has its faults and if I had to do it all over again I'd definitely choose to go back to Aber.

The important thing in Aber isn't really about what can you do there, but who you could do things with. I'm lucky because I met great friends while in Aber and the biggest problem I had was pronouncing Aberystwyth

Oh yeah, and you will get used to Welsh jokes very quickly

The only thing I dislike about Aber is the accommodation, I did not particularly like the feel of living in a council flat........ YUCKS. The interior of it also feels like as if it is low class council flat. Urghhh even the thought of it that I used to stay there freaks the hell out of me.

(Original post by xnatalie01x)
    Kent.

Aberystwyth was at first one of my choices but the location changed my mind... not so good if you're a city girl like me apparently there's only a few shops there the actual uni is nice though and there's a beach....
    It isn't all that bad really, I used to live in Beijing, Hong Kong, Singapore and Kuala Lumpur, where there are even more shops and malls than London many of them staying open till the wee hours of the morning. Almost everything you need you can get with some planning in advance. If you can't find it in town there is always the net where you can find almost everything and anything, in any case unless you're rich and do not live off your student grants or loans it's unlikely that you'll be needing all those shops anyway

As for trips to London and France, it's true Aber is rather far for a day trip to France, but day trips to London isn't really out of the question, just need someone with a decent car and you're off. We did Aber to London 4x over the year and getting there was just half the fun. Anyway, if you did go to Aber and took up the degrees in which Aber is famous for it's unlikely you'll be having the time to even think about going to France, you'll just have that much work and reading to do.................. unless of course you just want a 3rd

(Original post by RamocitoMorales)
    Aberystwyth, without a doubt.

No it isn't. The campus buildings are hideously ugly brutalist monstrosities.
    It's not as if Aber's buildings are any nicer There's their monstrosities as well, particularly that Hugh Owen Building which almost everyone will have the misfortune of spending time in.

Oh yeah, you can almost bet your last penny your student residence will not make you feel out of place if you came from a low/working class neighbourhood in fact I've seen council flats which were nicer.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iorek)
    The important thing in Aber isn't really about what can you do there, but who you could do things with.
    Nicely put

ReputationRep:
    Kent:

Before applying I email the CS dept asking about whether or not I would be able to use an additional qualification to make up an offer, should they choose to give me one. In response I got a very vague email which didn't really answer my question. Fair enough. I go to the visit day and ask the head of department after his (impressive and very well executed) talk has finished, only to to be told in a very condescending and rude manner:

"I remember you. I sent you an email about this." - followed by him half turning his back to me, basically forcing me to apologise and leave.

Doesn't sound too bad does it? I don't know why, but the way he said it just came across to me as "I am far too important and busy to be answering your questions twice, how dare you ask me the same question again to get some form of clarification." I was a little confused by this since after all, this was a visit day where every piece of paper given to you tells you that you should ask everyone lots of questions about everything. I sound like a whingey child, but after being such an ahole did the guy think I'd be rushing home to finish my UCAS and put Kent down as my first choice?

Disclaimer: Up until that point I loved Kent, and my reasons for not applying there were only ~5% related to that episode. Location is good, facilities are excellent, teaching and reputation also seemed fantastic

In comparison, Aber was extremely friendly and am now probably going to accept their offer over Liverpool's. Go to Aber. DO it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wookie42)
    The head of department would of put me off going if he was like that 2 me, suppose to encourage people to go not put people off.... :erm:

ReputationRep:
    Depends what you want.

I had a friend who studied CS at Aber, but the career prospects for CS grads in Wales is actually very bad. There simply aren't that many computing companies in Wales. So you'd probably have to move from Wales afterwards.

Kent Uni is near London, which makes things a bit easier, as although there aren't many CS jobs in Kent.. there are tons in London. Kent also has a good teaching reputation for their Java courses.

In response to the comment above: I think you'll find some CS faculty generally quite short and abrupt wherever you go, or at least that has been my experience. If you are rejecting an entire university based on a question you asked and didn't get a nice answer for.. well that's academia I'm afraid. They are very busy people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by m.grump)
    Depends what you want.

I had a friend who studied CS at Aber, but the career prospects for CS grads in Wales is actually very bad. There simply aren't that many computing companies in Wales. So you'd probably have to move from Wales afterwards.

Kent Uni is near London, which makes things a bit easier, as although there aren't many CS jobs in Kent.. there are tons in London. Kent also has a good teaching reputation for their Java courses.

In response to the comment above: I think you'll find some CS faculty generally quite short and abrupt wherever you go, or at least that has been my experience. If you are rejecting an entire university based on a question you asked and didn't get a nice answer for.. well that's academia I'm afraid. They are very busy people.
    Haha thank you for your input but I was referring more to the teaching quality and recognition.. should have mentioned that earlier.

ReputationRep:
    kent - i go there - i do comp sci and its good

ReputationRep:
    Aber. I'm extremely biased because I lived there when I was a kid and all my family still do, but I'd go for Aber such a beautiful place.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.