Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in my gap year, doing a lot of work experience in a special needs school and a nursing home, a paid job at CK as well as taking up a physics A-level.

Last year I applied for medicine at UCL, Imperial, King's, Queen Mary and St George's. All I received was 1 interview at St George's which soon after denied me. I attained 3 A's in my A-level is maths, biology and chemistry as well as a further A at AS-level in physics. I did work experience back then at hospitals, care homes and other health care centres. I really thought I had a good chance of getting in and was pretty annoyed when I had to take a gap year.

I re-applied this year again being denied!! I applied at places outside of London this time e.g. Liverpool and still got rejected!! I had a great reference from my college and I don't know what to do now.

I really had a solid desire to study medicine as well but if no-one can see that then what's the points... Thinking of reverting to investment banking but will I be able to still apply for a good university this year, I really don't want to go to a low rated university that isn't in the Russel group and risk having a bad job later... I knew I shouldn't have applied for medicine this year last year was too much but its all because of all the peer pressure and parental pressure and crap!

I'm just so annoyed atm somebody help pleaseeee!

ReputationRep:
    You may need to re-write your personal statement or work on your interview stategy, the academic side is obv ok

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Feeling low)
    Hey guys,

I'm currently in my gap year, doing a lot of work experience in a special needs school and a nursing home, a paid job at CK as well as taking up a physics A-level.

Last year I applied for medicine at UCL, Imperial, King's, Queen Mary and St George's. All I received was 1 interview at St George's which soon after denied me. I attained 3 A's in my A-level is maths, biology and chemistry as well as a further A at AS-level in physics. I did work experience back then at hospitals, care homes and other health care centres. I really thought I had a good chance of getting in and was pretty annoyed when I had to take a gap year.

I re-applied this year again being denied!! I applied at places outside of London this time e.g. Liverpool and still got rejected!! I had a great reference from my college and I don't know what to do now.

I really had a solid desire to study medicine as well but if no-one can see that then what's the points... Thinking of reverting to investment banking but will I be able to still apply for a good university this year, I really don't want to go to a low rated university that isn't in the Russel group and risk having a bad job later... I knew I shouldn't have applied for medicine this year last year was too much but its all because of all the peer pressure and parental pressure and crap!

I'm just so annoyed atm somebody help pleaseeee!
    Don't worry about it all. I know most people who have been denied places at their chosen universities, no matter the high grades that they achieved. You are not alone.

Anyhow, there are other good unis for your course that aren't Russell Group universities. Don't always beleive what others tell you. I wouldn't worry if a uni is a Russell Group or not. Unis like Durham, York, Exeter and QMUL are not Russell Groups, and they are good research intensive unis with high grade requirements.

It also sounds like that you want to give up on medicine for investment banking. Check out the RAE 2008 website to see which unis have better research for your course and examine the content of your course to ensure you are making the right choice for your future.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.