Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

need advice - *lifting issue* Watch

ReputationRep:
    okay, im trying to get back into free weights
    ive got big legs and this morning i put some light weight on the dumbbell bars (15kg in each to work myself back into it)

started to do x12 squat x12 calf raises (i was intending on moving onto lunges and deadlift) but when i started lunging, i felt a sort of cramp/DOMS in my hamstrings/groin area and decided i had to stop, i did a bit of stretching to ease the pain but it still rather hurts (i wasnt over-exerting myself)

should i do body weight exercises for a week or two along with loads of flexibility exercises before going back onto free weights (i dont have this problem with my upper body) i really need to get back into training asap

could you give me any advice possible?

ReputationRep:
    You went for 12 reps for how many sets?

Did you warm up properly?

Separate deadlifts and squats, they're big exercises so you should just focus on them on 2 different days (with a gap).

I know what you mean about the lunges and it creates a wobble doesn't it? generally that means you have to be aware of your limitations until you build the proper strength/core stability to handle them and the suppleness required.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HARRY PUTAH)

Separate deadlifts and squats, they're big exercises so you should just focus on them on 2 different days (with a gap).

I know what you mean about the lunges and it creates a wobble doesn't it? generally that means you have to be aware of your limitations until you build the proper strength/core stability to handle them and the suppleness required.
    it was the first set, what warm up routine would you advise?
    (both for the upper and lower body)

ReputationRep:
    Did you pull a muscle?

Don't do anything until you have recovered if so..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by resentment.)
    it was the first set, what warm up routine would you advise?
    (both for the upper and lower body)

Well, its easier to google warm-up routines than for me to explain it to you but generally as a beginner wanting to get back into it and for any person who wishes to lift, you need to;

-Get warmed up by stretching, twisting, light jogging

-Using the weight plates to get a bit of blood pumping

-When it comes to performing your sets you should aim to warm up with 40% and then 60% of your actual true working weight beforehand. 5/8 reps on each one.

Warmups are meant to make sure your muscles are warm with blood in them and ready to be used. This doesnt mean put 90KG on your squat bar when your working weight is 100KG (as an example). Your warmup shouldn't tax you so much that it hampers the way you workout.

Between sets you need to keep slightly active, dont be tempted to sit and 'sulk' on a bench but just move around and work those niggling aches out.

ReputationRep:

You should tell Andy Bolton that

Wednesday is squat night, starting with bike and stretching same as Monday. For squats I do

10 sets of 3 to 8 reps, working up to 410kg before a show. I work mainly on explosive power always squatting with as much explosive power as possible.

After squats I do 1/4 squats to a box these are done every alt wk and are stopped 5 wks out. The weights I use are 455kg(1000lbs) for 3 reps after which I proceed onto deadlift. I do 10 sets of 3 to 5 reps working up to 362.5kg/800lbs for 3 reps, 3 weeks out from a show but always pulling the weight as fast as possible. Next is partial deadlifts pulled from shin height, these are done using straps as the key here is explosive power and not grip. The maximum weight I have done on these is 470kg/1036lbs 3reps and 420kg/922lbs for 10reps. That’s wednesday done.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    You should tell Andy Bolton that
    I'm not doing what Andy Bolton does, besides I prefer them to be separate so I can put my all into it.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not doing what Andy Bolton does, besides I prefer them to be separate so I can put my all into it.
    I thought according to you that you are into strength and power? Andy is the biggest deadlifter on Earth - doing someting right lol.

Oly lifters squat and deadlift on the same day as do a good % of powerlifters.

You can't actually put your all into it using your method, the muscle groups are so similar and very large that 2-3 days rest between squats and deadlifts is not sufficient for the nervous system etc

ReputationRep:
    I thought according to you that you are into strength and power? Andy is the biggest deadlifter on Earth - doing someting right lol.

Oly lifters squat and deadlift on the same day as do a good % of powerlifters.

You can't actually put your all into it using your method, the muscle groups are so similar and very large that 2-3 days rest between squats and deadlifts is not sufficient for the nervous system etc

I do front squats with my deadlifts so maybe I should put back squats with deads rather than front?

Atmo its squat day/break/bench day/break/dead and 4th day I am considering putting another chest day in that includes Dbs/incline/military press.

You're saying maximum effort 5x5 squat and deads should be put on the same day?

ReputationRep:
    I do front squats with my deadlifts so maybe I should put back squats with deads rather than front?

Atmo its squat day/break/bench day/break/dead and 4th day I am considering putting another chest day in that includes Dbs/incline/military press.

You're saying maximum effort 5x5 squat and deads should be put on the same day?
    5 x 5 is too much on deadlifts in most lifters opinions. Being the only 'dead' stop lift it taxes the nervous system massively.

Working upto one top set of 5 is sufficient.

I do my deadlifts with back squats and front squat on other days.

ReputationRep:
    okay, im trying to get back into free weights
    ive got big legs and this morning i put some light weight on the dumbbell bars (15kg in each to work myself back into it)

started to do x12 squat x12 calf raises (i was intending on moving onto lunges and deadlift) but when i started lunging, i felt a sort of cramp/DOMS in my hamstrings/groin area and decided i had to stop, i did a bit of stretching to ease the pain but it still rather hurts (i wasnt over-exerting myself)

should i do body weight exercises for a week or two along with loads of flexibility exercises before going back onto free weights (i dont have this problem with my upper body) i really need to get back into training asap

could you give me any advice possible?
    Increase your flexibility. Mate i don't like to blow my own trumpet - but i'm hench, but i can do the splits, stretching constantly, especially in the morning

ReputationRep:
    5 x 5 is too much on deadlifts in most lifters opinions. Being the only 'dead' stop lift it taxes the nervous system massively.

Working upto one top set of 5 is sufficient.

I do my deadlifts with back squats and front squat on other days.
    So you would advise 1x5 1x3 and 1x2 (maximum)?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by crazycake93)
    Increase your flexibility. Mate i don't like to blow my own trumpet - but i'm hench, but i can do the splits, stretching constantly, especially in the morning
    cheers.
    would you mind telling me your warmup routine? i dont know if mine is suitable or not

on a side note, i seriously need to improve my rotator cuff muscles before i lift anything big, i used to pop my shoulder joints when i was younger simply because i could and now i find throwing a jab painful sometimes

ReputationRep:
    cheers.
    would you mind telling me your warmup routine? i dont know if mine is suitable or not

on a side note, i seriously need to improve my rotator cuff muscles before i lift anything big, i used to pop my shoulder joints when i was younger simply because i could and now i find throwing a jab painful sometimes

Aah rotator cuffs :P good times, i ****ed my shoulder up 3 months ago... badminton.

Get on ur bed face first, with ur arm off the bed, horizontally to you. with a dumbell in your hand lift up, using ur 'joint' to lift it up. Kind of like Reverse shoulder fly's link to http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFSpTUQunLE

Now for the warm up, well i stretch out my legs, i'm flexible enough to do the splits, which is strange for a guy..but still. I mess around with the pull up bar aswell just to warm up upper body.

ReputationRep:
    Get on ur bed face first, with ur arm off the bed, horizontally to you. with a dumbell in your hand lift up, using ur 'joint' to lift it up. Kind of like Reverse shoulder fly's
    thanks very much, but i dont understand what you mean by this, do you just mean like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpdlF...eature=channel ?

ReputationRep:
    thanks very much, but i dont understand what you mean by this, do you just mean like so: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpdlF...eature=channel ?
    Thats the one. Watch more of Scooby's videos. They are really good.

ReputationRep:
    Thats the one. Watch more of Scooby's videos. They are really good.
    Yeah, I really like Scooby; he's down to earth and tells it as it is

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I really like Scooby; he's down to earth and tells it as it is
    Yeah, hope it does you well though.

Im ****ed at the moment, i can't affordthe protein or creatine anymore . I've only got 2 weeks worth left.

ReputationRep:
    So you would advise 1x5 1x3 and 1x2 (maximum)?
    if doing 5s def one top set, if you are doing triples or doubles you can get away with two. if doing singles you can do upto 3 at over 90% (or at least I can without being too bad)

ReputationRep:
    sure you are bro

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.