Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

It's only Christmas because of the decorations and ads Watch

ReputationRep:
    Take them away, you'd think it were just autumn. It's Christmas only when the snow-effects are shown on TV over ads, when Christmas songs are recycled over the radio (sometimes two months in advance). But it's mainly Christmas when you have the special offers in retail shops - when you have Iceland, Asda and Tesco having actors having dinner over a Christmas meal to show how cheap it all was.

Take all that away, and what's left of Christmas? I thought this film represented Christmas best when I was a kid

ReputationRep:
    You missed the fact that we all get to take some holiday!

ReputationRep:
    That's the case for all holidays and "special days". Retail instigates the holiday spirit, but it's always been like that. It would still be Christmas if we didn't have it all, it would just be less fun without all the sexy M&S food adverts.

ReputationRep:
    Yes but Christmas is not meant to be retail or present-orientated. It's not meant to be materialistic.

ReputationRep:
    Aww I saw that film yesterday, absolutely love it! I'm such a child at heart!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meus)
    Yes but Christmas is not meant to be retail or present-orientated. It's not meant to be materialistic.
    It used to be an arcane religious ritual. I prefer it the way it is. It's more fun if it's meaningless.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.