Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

belly piercing/ lower back tattoo - always skanky? Watch

ReputationRep:
    fellows.

ive wanted to get both of these for sooo long! but am now 25 and its now or never! when i was younger my parents said it was a skanky look and i had to wait til i was older, but then i hit 22 and they said i was too old for it!

i LOVE tribal bellydance and want to do professional dancing by the end of the (new) year. google rachel brice to see what i mean.

also, i really like the badness of the look of the lower back tattoo, i was thinking of a small paisley motif or a scorpion (im scorpio).

but what would you think if you saw this on a girl? i know there is a stereotype of gals with tattoos as promiscuous and deviant but actually im devoutly catholic (founder of TSR catholic society) and a virgin waiting until marriage.

so what would you think? go for it or not?

ReputationRep:
    I have a belly button piercing and as long as you don't wear slutty clothing it's not skanky at all. I also don't see anything wrong with a lower back tattoo as long as it's not like your boyfriend of a week's name (or similar). Go for it :yy:

ReputationRep:
    Skanky.

ReputationRep:
    Belly piercing is never skanky (unless you're really fat). Lower back tattoos are usually a bit skanky, but most blokes love them (including me)

ReputationRep:
    I like both!

ReputationRep:
    Lower back tattoos are horrible, i've never seen a nice one on anyone.
    I don't like belly button piercings either, not because it's skanky, they just don't look good.

i love tattoos and piercings though!

ReputationRep:
    Belly piercings look fine unless you're going to wear one of these in it:
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgur...t:429,r:18,s:0

:lolwut:

Tramp stamps are never good IMO. Also stop going on about how you are a catholic/virgin until marriage. WE GET IT ALREADY.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    The point of tattoos and piercings (in general) is for them to be seen.

Therefore getting them on belly and lower back suggests you want people to see your belly and lower back...hence being seen as rather skanky.

If you want them though, it doesn't matter what others think. However, just to warn you, in the Bible it does say not to mark your body permanently with ink.

I've had an issue myself as there are a few tattoos I want, but I feel like if I get them, they should be professing my faith rather than linking me to the world's idea of tattoos. I'm not getting any tattoos, until I can fully reconcile my faith with tattoos.

ReputationRep:
    I actually think belly button piercings look very nice!
    I'd never get one myself though, because I'm not a skinny girl, and I'd never wear a bikini or anything because of that.. so not all that much point!

I would LOVE a tattoo on my lower back though; that's a part of your body that is often exposed just from wearing low jeans or a short top- there's nothing skanky about it as long as you don't show it off in a skanky way!

ReputationRep:
    Belly piercing isn't great... but it's OK...

Tramp stamps are skanky.

Just dont get either.

ReputationRep:
    My sentiments exactly lie with greeneyedgirl

ReputationRep:
    I've got a lower back tattoo and am most definately not skanky.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    The point of tattoos and piercings (in general) is for them to be seen.

Therefore getting them on belly and lower back suggests you want people to see your belly and lower back...hence being seen as rather skanky.

If you want them though, it doesn't matter what others think. However, just to warn you, in the Bible it does say not to mark your body permanently with ink.

I've had an issue myself as there are a few tattoos I want, but I feel like if I get them, they should be professing my faith rather than linking me to the world's idea of tattoos. I'm not getting any tattoos, until I can fully reconcile my faith with tattoos.
    hi there again! thanks, it is nice to hear a christian view on this, i had never thought of them as contravening my religion.

yes the belly piercing will be seen but only when im dancing in a show or performing solo. in normal days it will be covered.

same for the lower back tattoo - that one isnt really to show to anyone, it is just for me to know its there.

also, the Bible passage - is it Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord."? because since that was Old testament when people has to do stuff like sacrifice goats and not cut their hair to show obediance to God. also in deteronomy it says that if a man rapes a woman he must marry her. wtf?
    thenjesus came and fromwhat i understand, tattooing is not an issue in the new testamen? http://christianity.about.com/od/faq...ochristian.htm

ReputationRep:
    I've got three tattoos... No girl's ever come up to me and said you look like a man-whore...

A belly button piercing is hot, as well...

ReputationRep:
    is there such thing as a classy tramp stamp? it is only for me to know its there and feel nasty about it, i am far too old for belly tops, low risers etc unless im performing dance it will be covered.

ReputationRep:
    I personally don't really like either, but to each their own. Just do what you want.
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    hi there again! thanks, it is nice to hear a christian view on this, i had never thought of them as contravening my religion.

yes the belly piercing will be seen but only when im dancing in a show or performing solo. in normal days it will be covered.

same for the lower back tattoo - that one isnt really to show to anyone, it is just for me to know its there.

also, the Bible passage - is it Leviticus 19:28, "Do not cut your bodies for the dead, and do not mark your skin with tattoos. I am the Lord."? because since that was Old testament when people has to do stuff like sacrifice goats and not cut their hair to show obediance to God. also in deteronomy it says that if a man rapes a woman he must marry her. wtf?
    thenjesus came and fromwhat i understand, tattooing is not an issue in the new testamen? http://christianity.about.com/od/faq...ochristian.htm
    Yes, I agree Leviticus is sincerely useless in the light of the New Testament, but as the article you linked says, for me it is the issue of "What are my motives for wanting a tattoo? Am I seeking to glorify God or draw attention to myself?" which bothers me when I am thinking about tattoos. Because some of the tattoos I want, I know that deep down I want so I "look sexier" which is not really a Godly want.

I like the idea of asking the questions:

How does my heart and my conscience convict me? Do I have freedom in Christ and a clear conscience before the Lord regarding the decision to get a tattoo?
    Am I passing judgment on a brother or sister because I don't have freedom in Christ to receive a tattoo?
    Will I still want this tattoo years from now?
    Will my parents and family approve, and/or will my future spouse want me to have this tattoo?
    Will I cause a weaker brother to stumble if I receive a tattoo?
    Is my decision based on faith and will the result be glorifying to God?

For me right now, all except a few of my tattoo options fail on my parents approving and it being based on faith and glorifying God.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by greeneyedgirl)
    Yes, I agree Leviticus is sincerely useless in the light of the New Testament, but as the article you linked says, for me it is the issue of "What are my motives for wanting a tattoo? Am I seeking to glorify God or draw attention to myself?" which bothers me when I am thinking about tattoos. Because some of the tattoos I want, I know that deep down I want so I "look sexier" which is not really a Godly want.

I like the idea of asking the questions:

1.How does my heart and my conscience convict me? Do I have freedom in Christ and a clear conscience before the Lord regarding the decision to get a tattoo?

2.Am I passing judgment on a brother or sister because I don't have freedom in Christ to receive a tattoo?

3.Will I still want this tattoo years from now?

4.Will my parents and family approve, and/or will my future spouse want me to have this tattoo?

5.Will I cause a weaker brother to stumble if I receive a tattoo?
    Is my decision based on faith and will the result be glorifying to God?

For me right now, all except a few of my tattoo options fail on my parents approving and it being based on faith and glorifying God.

omg btw, you are pretty cool for wanting a tattoo, alot of christians dont lol they like the ned flanders look lol

you have some fantastic points tbh i didnt think that deeply, i just thought wow that would be cool. and yeah it looks sexier but i have no intention to show it off. it is mainly that it makes me FEEL sexier and more confident.

great checklist of questions too hmm lets see:
    1. it feels God-neutral in the same way as wearing a pushup bra or makeup or hairspray. neither bad nor good.

2. nope, but dont really understand the question

3. yes, it is very small and an expression of me, plus being on my back it wont stretch or sag.

4. family - will disapprove. future spouse - honey im a 25 year old virgin who has never had a proper bf and my eggs are drying up fast with no likely prospects in sight. my future spouse (if indeed i have one) is likely shagging away happily at some hoes until he decides to be serious and look for a good girl to settle down with - in which case, he didnt think of me, why should i think of him. thats assuming i HAVE a spouse. i might end up the 40 y/o virgiin at this rate and never have a bf, in which case I am my future spouse and I LOVE ME the way i am, even with a tattoo. if it makes me feel sexier, all the better since in a couple years i will be a late 20s virgin and totally inept at relationships

5. it will not be glorifying to God, but will not have any effect since i will not show anyone it, only i will know it is there.

hmmm thanks. tbh i think my main motivation for getting a nasty tattoo is because im soon going to be a late 20s virgin and may never have a bf or relationship, or spouse. my friends, all of whom have lived with their partners and have loads of experience are having kids and gettting engaged. meanwhile i tried to walk in the Lords way and all my bfs cheated on me, dumped me or left me on the side while they play around until they are ready to grow up. i havent had a real relationship and am getting old and feel really asexual, kinda like a old, comfy sofa. it hurts and i feel lonely. i think if i have a badass tattoo it will remind me i am sexy and hot even if i am also a 40 y/o virgin. this is probably also the motivation why i learn tribal bellydance and am a massage therapist in my spare time. i am in pain, and i think having a tattoo will be empowering.

thanks so much!!!

also does it hurt?
    • PS Helper
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shinytoy)
    omg btw, you are pretty cool for wanting a tattoo, alot of christians dont lol they like the ned flanders look lol

you have some fantastic points tbh i didnt think that deeply, i just thought wow that would be cool. and yeah it looks sexier but i have no intention to show it off. it is mainly that it makes me FEEL sexier and more confident.

great checklist of questions too hmm lets see:
    1. it feels God-neutral in the same way as wearing a pushup bra or makeup or hairspray. neither bad nor good.

2. nope, but dont really understand the question

3. yes, it is very small and an expression of me, plus being on my back it wont stretch or sag.

4. family - will disapprove. future spouse - honey im a 25 year old virgin who has never had a proper bf and my eggs are drying up fast with no likely prospects in sight. my future spouse (if indeed i have one) is likely shagging away happily at some hoes until he decides to be serious and look for a good girl to settle down with - in which case, he didnt think of me, why should i think of him. thats assuming i HAVE a spouse. i might end up the 40 y/o virgiin at this rate and never have a bf, in which case I am my future spouse and I LOVE ME the way i am, even with a tattoo. if it makes me feel sexier, all the better since in a couple years i will be a late 20s virgin and totally inept at relationships

5. it will not be glorifying to God, but will not have any effect since i will not show anyone it, only i will know it is there.

hmmm thanks. tbh i think my main motivation for getting a nasty tattoo is because im soon going to be a late 20s virgin and may never have a bf or relationship, or spouse. my friends, all of whom have lived with their partners and have loads of experience are having kids and gettting engaged. meanwhile i tried to walk in the Lords way and all my bfs cheated on me, dumped me or left me on the side while they play around until they are ready to grow up. i havent had a real relationship and am getting old and feel really asexual, kinda like a old, comfy sofa. it hurts and i feel lonely. i think if i have a badass tattoo it will remind me i am sexy and hot even if i am also a 40 y/o virgin. this is probably also the motivation why i learn tribal bellydance and am a massage therapist in my spare time. i am in pain, and i think having a tattoo will be empowering.

thanks so much!!!

also does it hurt?
    Then I'd say go for a tattoo, from the sounds of it it'll actually help in your relationship with God because it'll keep you strong through tough times

I've heard it doesn't hurt that much/is worth the pain kinda thing. Apparently it feels mildly like a cat scratching you! I got my cartilage pierced a week ago and yes it hurt (well having a needle through your ear is always going to hurt) but I'm so happy with it that it the pain was worth it! Temporary pain < permanent happiness (same kinda thing with bad life on earth < eternal glory!)

ReputationRep:
    I happen to have both and I certainly dont look like a skank because I dont dress like one. A belly button ring and a tattoo alone wont make you a skank, it's more about the way you dress, and most of the times this is why people may criticize you.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.