Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Caribbean Food and Drink. What do you think?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    :parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot::parrot:I am a big fan of West Indian Cuisine. I wanted to know your thoughts and experiences of Caribbean Cookery. Do you make it? Does mum make it? Do you know a good restaurant? Well tell us about it. Name and Location please

Do you have any recipies or any links then Bang em here!!!!!

Jamaican Patty with French Fries and Green Beans

Chicken Rice and Peas

Caribbean Roti

Caribbean Style Macaroni and Cheese

Jamaican Curry Goat

Souse (Pigs Snout or feet or something like that I never had it before)

Mountain Chicken (National Dish of the commonwealth of dominica Mountain chicken is frogs legs btw)

My family originate from Dominica in the Caribbean CLICK HERE FOR INFO

Dominica is a truly awe-inspiring place. CLICKY AND HERE

Oh how I remember sitting on the porch and sipping on a nice: along with my dad :moon:

So tell me!!!!!!!!! I and everyone else shall be waiting. :tea:

ReputationRep:
    I don't know if it's West Indian, but you should try jambalaya if you haven't already.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sweyn Forkbeard)
    I don't know if it's West Indian, but you should try jambalaya if you haven't already.
    Thanks Sweyn. No its not west indian. It's from Louisiana , USA. I may try it one day. Do you like it?

ReputationRep:
    I live in South London, so I have had lots of opportunity to try that kind of food, but I don't really like much of it. I find it often a bit too spicy, salty and sometimes quite greasy. I've tried a couple of different restaurants too to make sure it wasn't a one off, but I'm not much of a fan. It's a shame because it smells so nice

ReputationRep:
    I have only had Caribbean food at a restaurant called Chef Colin Brown in London E14. But the jerk chicken, goat curry and brown chicken stew (w rice and peas) are reasons to try more, yum.

ReputationRep:
    Don't think I can suggest anything else really nice though...a lot of the time we eat British food cooked in a West Indian style. Jerk pork is really nice if you're a lover of pork. Oh and by the way souse is pigs trotters.
    My dad's version of the asian pilau rice is quite good but theres no set recipe. Its just chicken, prawns, mixed vegetables and rice cooked up together with all the typical Caribbean seasonings.

What type of food do you normally eat, with your family being from Dominica? i'm mixed with Jamaican so I have multiple influences when it comes to cooking.

ReputationRep:
    Sorrel

ReputationRep:
    I'm Black Caribbean and my mum does most of the cooking but I do a bit from time to time.

In my opinion good caribbean restaurants are very hard to find The majority of caribbean restaurants that I have been to are either too salty or too stingey (i.e. mean and cheap) with the portions kmt...LOL. Home cooking is the best Find some recipes and try cooking some food. Then you can experiment with the recipe until it matches your own taste

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chellzey)
    Don't think I can suggest anything else really nice though...a lot of the time we eat British food cooked in a West Indian style. Jerk pork is really nice if you're a lover of pork. Oh and by the way souse is pigs trotters.
    My dad's version of the asian pilau rice is quite good but theres no set recipe. Its just chicken, prawns, mixed vegetables and rice cooked up together with all the typical Caribbean seasonings.

What type of food do you normally eat, with your family being from Dominica? i'm mixed with Jamaican so I have multiple influences when it comes to cooking.
    I agree with chellzey.

I'm a Bajan (Barbadian) and Jamaican mix

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kat2pult)
    I live in South London, so I have had lots of opportunity to try that kind of food, but I don't really like much of it. I find it often a bit too spicy, salty and sometimes quite greasy. I've tried a couple of different restaurants too to make sure it wasn't a one off, but I'm not much of a fan. It's a shame because it smells so nice
    I would agree with you on caribbean restaurants from my experience. You need to get a caribbean friend who can cook/whose parent(s) can cook and then you will fall in love with caribbean food and english food with a caribbean twist

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by House of Jonny)
    Souse (Pigs Snout or feet or something like that I never had it before)

When we have souse in my house we don't use pig's snount or trotters :nah: we use pork belly

ReputationRep:
    my parents are caribbean- festivals and fried dumplings are the one! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR.music)
    I would agree with you on caribbean restaurants from my experience. You need to get a caribbean friend who can cook/whose parent(s) can cook and then you will fall in love with caribbean food and english food with a caribbean twist
    I agree! My friends dad cooks the best jerk chicken and curried goat. Restaurants just aren't the same.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DR.music)
    When we have souse in my house we don't use pig's snount or trotters :nah: we use pork belly
    Ahh...the Bajan way i take it. I think I had it cooked by a Bajan but I didn't really like it. My Dad's twist is completely different but I can't really describe the difference...i suppose its the Dominican way.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.