Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So, I've just recieved the final rejection from my final Graduate scheme application - this one at Marks and Spencers and actually don't have a clue what to do. I'm still in my third year of Uni, predicted a 2:1 in English and the majority of applications I've now been sifting through have all closed.

Quite honestly I only applied to three, I know I should have done more but with Dissertation, essays and seminar work etc I just didn't have the time to spend on any others. And those I did do I spent ages on, just to get rejected

So I'm at a complete loss of what to do now. As I said all Graduate Scheme applications seem to have closed now or very soon and I just really don't want to finish Uni, go back home for the summer and just get really unmotivated because I don't have any work to do. I really wanted something set up to look forward to and get started on at the beginning/end of the summer. Otherwise it feels like this year is just a waste, I mean if I don't join a graduate scheme then what was the point of getting a degree at all.

Eugh, I'm just being depressive I know. But I was wondering if anyone had any advice over what to do now? Or any schemes still open? Or any people who have been in the same situation before and what they did?

The Schemes I applied for were only retail management but it was something I was really quite interested in and feel really knocked back now even though I know tons of people get rejected.

As I said my worries are just that either I'll waste the degree I've spent years doing - by doing something which I don't need it for, or that I'll just get really dejected and unmotivated when I have finished Uni. But where do I go from here, there's nothing I can apply for or sort out now until schemes reopen next year and I don't want to spend the whole year doing nothing. A masters or gap year are out of the question as I just don't have the money.

Helllllp!

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Lots of employers are still accepting applications. Check out milkround and other job sites.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell you've got loads of time!

ReputationRep:
    I secured my graduate job in June of my final year. You've got plenty of time. Though 3 applications isn't a lot... get yourself applying for everything/anything you'd be willing to do if getting a job is that important to you.

When you fill in any application, save what you put down in a file somewhere. One so you can remember what examples you've used for each company.... but also so you've got some model answers that you can copy and paste when you've got similar application forms (obviously tweak for each company) . Also track where you've applied in an excel spreadsheet, so you know when you should follow it up =)

Also, ask the companies that have rejected you for some feedback Then you can improve yourself.

ReputationRep:
    3 rejections and thats it? seriously youve barely started.

Those applictions take forever I know, but once you start doing them regularly you can copy lots of previous answers.

You say you expect a job out of a degree, fair enough. What careers are you interested, cant just be retail management. Spend time exploring your options, working out how to climb the ladder.

Graduate schemes are just one way of getting employment. Once you know what you want to do you can look into many other sources for finding jobs.

ReputationRep:
    Don't panic. There are loads still open and loads that open at different times. Target jobs is a pretty good website for identifying open schemes as well as more convenient options to tide you over.

Personally when i was in my last year i didn't want to waste my time half heartedly applying for schemes and opted instead to focus on getting the degree first. I Graduated in July - started applying at the same time- and had my first job offer by August which started in september. I then got my second job offer in October which i will be starting in January. That is from applyin for 4 schemes (and being pragmatic in my selection). With the first i went out at the psychometric stage but this served as good practice for the rest. One i got right through to the very end falling at the final interview and the other two i got.

All is not lost!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DressMeDeadly)
    So, I've just recieved the final rejection from my final Graduate scheme application - this one at Marks and Spencers and actually don't have a clue what to do. I'm still in my third year of Uni, predicted a 2:1 in English and the majority of applications I've now been sifting through have all closed.

Quite honestly I only applied to three, I know I should have done more but with Dissertation, essays and seminar work etc I just didn't have the time to spend on any others. And those I did do I spent ages on, just to get rejected

So I'm at a complete loss of what to do now. As I said all Graduate Scheme applications seem to have closed now or very soon and I just really don't want to finish Uni, go back home for the summer and just get really unmotivated because I don't have any work to do. I really wanted something set up to look forward to and get started on at the beginning/end of the summer. Otherwise it feels like this year is just a waste, I mean if I don't join a graduate scheme then what was the point of getting a degree at all.

Eugh, I'm just being depressive I know. But I was wondering if anyone had any advice over what to do now? Or any schemes still open? Or any people who have been in the same situation before and what they did?

The Schemes I applied for were only retail management but it was something I was really quite interested in and feel really knocked back now even though I know tons of people get rejected.

As I said my worries are just that either I'll waste the degree I've spent years doing - by doing something which I don't need it for, or that I'll just get really dejected and unmotivated when I have finished Uni. But where do I go from here, there's nothing I can apply for or sort out now until schemes reopen next year and I don't want to spend the whole year doing nothing. A masters or gap year are out of the question as I just don't have the money.

Helllllp!

Thanks

The vast majority of graduate schemes I'm looking into at the minute are open for at least another month. Then again, I'm looking @ technical roles in technical companies, maybe they're different? :confused:

Good luck anyway

ReputationRep:
    Three! Seriously??? I applied to sixteen graduate schemes plus a load of other jobs from Milkround and Reed before I got a job. And that's just this autumn - I've applied for many in the two previous years as well. (I'm not saying this to be snide, more to get you to realise that being rejected from three schemes doesn't say anything about your capability of getting a job, or the job you want.)

Now, I get it. I really do get how long these applications take. As others have said, make sure you save all of your longer answers in Word documents so you can get them out, tweak them and use them again for later applications. But in the end, you have to choose whether to spend a lot of time on graduate job applications or a lot of time on your degree. I know it sucks.

What are your options re: moving home? I found it FAR easier to devote time to applying for jobs after I'd finished uni (which could still let you start in the following autumn), and now I'm having a relaxing gap year temping and saving some money to go travelling. Obviously I'm lucky to be able to live at home while doing this, and I'm not sure how things are for you.

Finally, look into a variety of careers. I did English literature and I'm going to be a trainee actuary, which admittedly has nothing to do with my degree but which I'm really looking forward to.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.