Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm currently on my first year at uni doing a computing degree. After going through some of the modules so far, Ive realised that I actually don't enjoy computing like I used to. No aspect of IT really interests me.

Hence me coming here Is anyone doing a photography degree here? Maybe even a digital media course maybe ideal? What will the job opportunities be like for this type of course?

Another thing is I hate drawing...... Just really don't know what to do.

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lolagelolage)
    Hey, I'm currently on my first year at uni doing a computing degree. After going through some of the modules so far, Ive realised that I actually don't enjoy computing like I used to. No aspect of IT really interests me.

Hence me coming here Is anyone doing a photography degree here? Maybe even a digital media course maybe ideal? What will the job opportunities be like for this type of course?

Another thing is I hate drawing...... Just really don't know what to do.

Thanks
    Do a proper degree and stick with photography as a free time hobby to make you happy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Do a proper degree and stick with photography as a free time hobby to make you happy.
    What a **** answer.

Photography IS a proper degree.
    Its just as worthwhile as any arts degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lonelykatana)
    What a **** answer.

OP, if you like it go for it. Ignore idiots like this person.

Hah, you can become a professional photographer and make a fortune without having to spend tens of thousands of pounds and several years of your life on a degree.

In my opinion taking photography 'academically' would suck all of the fun out of it. You might as well focus in a more versatile degree and always have the photography there as a backup which you can enjoy and progress in your own time.

How many famous professionals have taken a degree in photography I ask you?

ReputationRep:
    What a **** answer.

OP, if you like it go for it. Ignore idiots like this person.
    Actually, he's completely right. The logical thing is to take the degree in computing for job prospects then actually enjoy photography as a hobby.

You're just being defensive as you obviously do a Photogaphy degree. Which has much less job prospects than a computing degree..and don't even try and argue about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sammydemon)
    Hah, you can become a professional photographer and make a fortune without having to spend tens of thousands of pounds and several years of your life on a degree.

In my opinion taking photography 'academically' would suck all of the fun out of it. You might as well focus in a more versatile degree and always have the photography there as a backup which you can enjoy and progress in your own time.

How many famous professionals have taken a degree in photography I ask you?
    You can become a professional in pretty much any field without a degree...

I dont follow many professional photographers (hence the thread I just opened!) So I cant find out or tell you. Yet I'm almost 100% sure the answer would be none, to very few anyway.

(Original post by Shuvel)
    Actually, he's completely right. The logical thing is to take the degree in computing for job prospects then actually enjoy photography as a hobby.

You're just being defensive as you obviously do a Photogaphy degree. Which has much less job prospects than a computing degree..and don't even try and argue about it.
    Nope, dont do a photography degree. Considering I'm not in uni yet
    Did I once ever say a photography degree has anywhere near as many job prospects as a computing degree?
    Only a fool would argue otherwise.

Of course OP would be better off with a computing degree, but what use is it if (s)he doesn't enjoy it? If they dont enjoy the degree, chances are they wont like the job

My point to both of you is, photography is a 'proper degree', and just as worthwhile as any art based degree (music, fine art ect...)

BUT This isn't what OP asked, so lets not turn this into a flame war hey? lol

ReputationRep:
    This thread title widget is squashing the website

ReputationRep:
    My point to both of you is, photography is a 'proper degree', and just as worthwhile as any art based degree (music, fine art ect...)
    So not very worthwhile at all then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ReddDraggon)
    So not very worthwhile at all then?
    Correct.

ReputationRep:
    What a **** answer.

Also you're wrong. Shuvel and Sammy Demon are right. You don't need to be a snob or an idiot to see that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dude Where's My Username)
    Also you're wrong. Shuvel and Sammy Demon are right. You don't need to be a snob or an idiot to see that
    It doesn't take much ****ing effort to read the rest of my posts, and the OP does it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles:

The Student Room tech wikiTech forum guidelines

Quick link:

Unanswered technology and computers threads

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.