Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are similar tastes in MUSIC are important in a relationship? Watch

ReputationRep:
    In all of my 2 () serious(ish) relationships, me and my partner have had quite a big overlap in musical tastes, although I have quite a broad taste in music.

So this got me wondering: do you think a relationship could work if the two people had polar music tastes. Say one partner liked metal and not electronic dance music, and the other liked EDM but not metal?

Or is it important to you that your partner has a similar musical taste?

ReputationRep:
    meh it probably shouldn't matter, they do say opposites attract
    but no, I would want a guy who likes metal/rock or can at least tolerate it. I like going to concerts a lot and I'd want them to come too
    however it wouldn't make or break a relationship for me, there are more important things!

ReputationRep:
    Yes I think it's important, as music is one of the most important things in my life (god that sounds so sad).
    However if I really liked someone and got on with them well then having a different taste in music wouldn't put me off.

ReputationRep:
    I have a broad taste in music so its allrite. I dont even talk to my uni mates about music because we dont have the same taste in music and we get on ok. If u need similar taste in music to make a relationship work then you probably shouldnt be in a relationship

ReputationRep:
    I would never date somebody who likes Justin Bieber

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mally-xo)
    they do say opposites attract
    such retarded philosophy. humans aren't magnets

ReputationRep:
    Only for the snobs who have nothing better to do than talk about music. I mean they could be playing halo:reach co-op and building trust instead you get me?

But in all seriousness just the first sentence of my post.

ReputationRep:
    An overlap of interests is a definite bonus in any relationship, but it doesn't have to be music specifically, it could be anything.

ReputationRep:
    I think it depends on the importance of music to the couple. I enjoy music, but it's not my priority in life. If I find someone with similar (appalling) taste then that's cool - although technically not hard since I have a broad taste, before I lost my music library my listing went something like; Bach, Bob Marley, Bring Me The Horizon, Britney Spears. But if not, eh whatever
    As long as they weren't particularly rude about my choice in music then it's cool.

ReputationRep:
    It shouldn't matter, it's only ever a problem if one of the couple is a music snob who thinks that the music they listen to is the ONLY music worthy of being listened to.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldnt really care all that much....

ReputationRep:
    but no, I would want a guy who likes metal/rock or can at least tolerate it. I like going to concerts a lot and I'd want them to come too
    however it wouldn't make or break a relationship for me, there are more important things!
    (Original post by cellophane11)
    Yes I think it's important, as music is one of the most important things in my life (god that sounds so sad).
    However if I really liked someone and got on with them well then having a different taste in music wouldn't put me off.
    Example of the perfect girl.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mr. Orange)
    such retarded philosophy. humans aren't magnets
    :ahhhhh: hey, it wasn't me who came up with the philosophy, and I did say I don't particularly agree

ReputationRep:
    yeah, more important than looks

ReputationRep:
    sometimes music adds a lot of love into it

ReputationRep:
    It's good to be able to have something you can both relate to, but it's not essential.

ReputationRep:
    only if jesus listens to it

ReputationRep:
    Girls generally have really poor taste in music, as long as I don't have to listen to it it's alright.

ReputationRep:
    My boyfriend has terrible taste in music.
    My Chemical Romance, some indie and remixes of video game theme tunes. :zomg:
    It doesn't particularly affect a relationship, but it can be disappointing not to feel the same emotional connections. Like you're not on the same wavelength.

ReputationRep:
    metal/rock.

A few healthy questions:

Do you dress in leather?
    Do you headbang?
    Do you love a good moshpit?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What newspaper do you read/prefer?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.