Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How do I bulk up? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Bulking up means gaining muscle faster by eating a lot to fuel the growth, but in turn it encourages fat increase too, right?

I'm going to start eating a lot more, more healthy fats, more protein etc, however I don't want to put on fat. Is there any way to do this? I've been going to the gym now for just over 2 months and I've not noticed a real difference. I'm putting it down to a poor diet, because I simply don't eat enough.

Also do I still need to do cardio? Wouldn't cardio use the energy instead of my body putting it away to help muscle repair/growth?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Eat more often, dont worry about fat for now... its winter, if all else fails try steroids.

ReputationRep:
    FFS these posts get on my tits!

Look you have to make sacrifices in anything you want to do, you want to be buff well you have to get bigger - its much harder if you try to do this without fat gain, fat is piss easy to loose quickly while muscle is really hard to gain - you mak the hard thing as easy as possible and worry about the rest later.

ReputationRep:
    Gain weight and get a little fatter
    Turn fat to muscle
    ????
    Profit?

ReputationRep:
    Google, Mark Rippetoes starting strength.

Eat **** loads of good, clean foods. Wholemeal bread. Wholegrain pasta&rice. Cottage cheese. Eggs (Mainly egg whites). Peanut butter (High in good fats, remember that, good fats). Plenty of Chicken. Oatmeal. Sweet Potato. Protein shakes.

Notice a common trend? From the above? Plenty of protein. About 1.25 to 1.5g's of protein per lb of bodyweight. Make sure you get a good amount of carbs, and good fats throughout the day, split into 4-6 meals.

Most importantly, eat enough. Start off at about 2500 calories. If you don't gain weight off that, increase it by 200 the next week. Yet, if you gain more than 1lb a week eating that 2500, say you gain 2lbs, decrease it by 200. Get the idea?

ReputationRep:
    Three things:

Tuna
    Eggs
    Protein shakes

These three things alone made me bulk up, now I've added: white fish, brown pasta, cottage cheese and chicken to my diet, and I feel a lot stronger/bigger. Also, be smart with your budget. Don't go buying the best brand stuff if you can't afford it. Even if it's a cheaper brand, it'll still do the trick. Ohh and peanut butter/bannana sandwich is also good for bulking. I have a shake and 5 tablespoons of it before bed.

Make sure you stick to the compound excersises at the gym:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Military press

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MattGriff)
    FFS these posts get on my tits!

Look you have to make sacrifices in anything you want to do, you want to be buff well you have to get bigger - its much harder if you try to do this without fat gain, fat is piss easy to loose quickly while muscle is really hard to gain - you mak the hard thing as easy as possible and worry about the rest later.
    Rep for having common sense

(and that girl in your sig would get it indifferently, I need that ass in my life)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TeenageDream)
    Bulking up means gaining muscle faster by eating a lot to fuel the growth, but in turn it encourages fat increase too, right?

I'm going to start eating a lot more, more healthy fats, more protein etc, however I don't want to put on fat. Is there any way to do this? I've been going to the gym now for just over 2 months and I've not noticed a real difference. I'm putting it down to a poor diet, because I simply don't eat enough.

Also do I still need to do cardio? Wouldn't cardio use the energy instead of my body putting it away to help muscle repair/growth?

Thanks
    The only way that I know of is to calculate exactly how many calories you burn each day and then eat that amount plus 500 (500 above maintenance). The difficulty, of course, being finding out how to do that calculation.

An easier way is to make sure you're on a tried and true weights program (ie. Starting Strength, Madcows, etc.), eat as much as you think you should be eating, and weigh yourself under equal conditions each week. You should be putting on about 2 lbs of weight every week if you're eating optimally and not putting on fat. If you're putting on more than 2 lbs, eat less. If you're putting on less, eat more.

Cardio is not a good idea for bulking up if you are having trouble getting enough calories. It is still a good idea for general health and sports purposes.

If you're having trouble getting enough calories, start drinking a lot of full fat milk. The standard advice is 6 pints a day.

ReputationRep:
    Omni mx hardcore

ReputationRep:

Thanks
    First of all, what's your body profile like at the moment? Are you skinny, muscular or fat? The first few months of gym should give you big gains, so that's a bit odd.
    Make sure you're eating LOTS of protein rich, but low-fat foods, and also plenty of fruit and vegetables.
    At the gym, you want to do be doing heavy weights, and low number of reps if you want to get bigger. On the benchpress, it's good to be doing 3 sets of 8 reps on the heaviest weight you can, and then moving up slowly to your 1 rep max. Push yourself. No pain no gain.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    Three things:

Tuna
    Eggs
    Protein shakes

These three things alone made me bulk up, now I've added: white fish, brown pasta, cottage cheese and chicken to my diet, and I feel a lot stronger/bigger. Also, be smart with your budget. Don't go buying the best brand stuff if you can't afford it. Even if it's a cheaper brand, it'll still do the trick. Ohh and peanut butter/bannana sandwich is also good for bulking. I have a shake and 5 tablespoons of it before bed.

Make sure you stick to the compound excersises at the gym:

Squat
    Deadlift
    Military press

Cheers for reminding me about peanut butter/bannana sandwiches- they are truly buff. Is cottage cheese nice? don't think I've had that tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Cheers for reminding me about peanut butter/bannana sandwiches- they are truly buff. Is cottage cheese nice? don't think I've had that tbh.
    bit bland, I make a protein **** mix of cottage cheese, tuna and salsa and just shove it down me >_<

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a_t)
    bit bland, I make a protein **** mix of cottage cheese, tuna and salsa and just shove it down me >_<
    Noicee- I love salsa :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ShnnyShiz)
    First of all, what's your body profile like at the moment? Are you skinny, muscular or fat? The first few months of gym should give you big gains, so that's a bit odd.
    Make sure you're eating LOTS of protein rich, but low-fat foods, and also plenty of fruit and vegetables.
    At the gym, you want to do be doing heavy weights, and low number of reps if you want to get bigger. On the benchpress, it's good to be doing 3 sets of 8 reps on the heaviest weight you can, and then moving up slowly to your 1 rep max. Push yourself. No pain no gain.
    I'm skinny, 6 foot weighing 68kg, with some muscle around my arms. I've been going to the gym for 2 months, but for those 2 months my diet has been pretty bad. I've not been eating junk food, or unhealthy food, but I've not been eating enough food, and not enough veg and good fats. I understand now though that I need to be eating a lot more.

Should I be eating even after I am full? Getting full is the bodys way of telling you you don't need any more food, right?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lamps08)
    Yes, cottage cheese is lovely. I normally have it with those Rivita biscuits or with a tuna or chicken salad.

Have the cheese and chive cheese, it's lush.

ReputationRep:
    I'm skinny, 6 foot weighing 68kg, with some muscle around my arms. I've been going to the gym for 2 months, but for those 2 months my diet has been pretty bad. I've not been eating junk food, or unhealthy food, but I've not been eating enough food, and not enough veg and good fats. I understand now though that I need to be eating a lot more.

Should I be eating even after I am full? Getting full is the bodys way of telling you you don't need any more food, right?
    DON'T eat after you're full up. Eat six small meals a day to feed your muscles (A small meal is a handful of food). So nuts,tuna,small salad/sandwich,protein shake etc are all good meals. When you start eating like this, you'll notice you have more energy and feel better in the gym.

ReputationRep:

Wow! You sound a lot like me. I used to be skinny as well. At the moment I weigh 68kg too (Although, that's after gaining loads since I started gyming in late September).
    I know what you mean - there's that limit where you feel like you're full. Just because you feel full though, doesn't mean you shouldn't eat any more. In fact, the reason the Atkinson's diet works (a diet based on eating just fatty foods and meat, Google it if you don't believe me) is because your body thinks it's had enough, when it hasn't. You should be eating at the very least 3 full meals a day - on a gym day I have a full english breakfast (3 bacons, 3-4 eggs, 3 toasts, beans) with a milk, for lunch after gyming, I often go and get a KFC meal, which is fine as long as you don't have it too often. For dinner, a big portion of whatever's on offer. I'll have substantial snacks in between, and extra meals sometimes. Try and eat more than you would normally eat, but never to the point where you're feeling sick.
    Very importantly also, make sure you're really pushing yourself as well. You want to be benching/doing whatever with a weight where you're only JUST managing to get 3x8 reps with a good technique. A lot of people miss this part out, they think they're doing alright and stick to the same weight every week. That's why those people don't get bigger. Constantly push yourself to the limit! If I'm not seriously aching the day after, I know I've not done enough.
    Hope this helps!

ReputationRep:
    Eat 5-6 small meals a day (healthy and extra protein) and drink plenty of water and milk with good sleep. You will not get fat if you go the gym while doing this.

ReputationRep:
    Ok thanks for the replies. I've been at the gym for 2 months now and put on exactly 0kg. I've eaten as little as possible thinking I needed to loose weight in order for the muscles to be more defined, and I did 45 minutes cardio a day. Kinda a waste of 2 months really.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wangelo)
    Gain weight and get a little fatter
    Turn fat to muscle
    ????
    Profit?
    no.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 24, 2010
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Will you be richer or poorer than your parents?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.