Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can't find a thread on this (though I did look).

Further to this morning's story of him claiming he could bring down the government, he has also said that he is declaring war on Sky (or more specifically Murdoch, as yoyo462001 points out), which calls into question his impartiality as Business Secretary, particularly as he makes the decision over whether Murdoch can take over BSkyB.

Should he resign?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...t-Murdoch.html
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    More like declaring war on Murdoc rather than Sky. He sounded far to smug when he said he blocked it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yoyo462001)
    More like declaring war on Murdoc rather than Sky. He sounded far to smug when he said he blocked it.
    Yeah I realised after posting I could have worded it better guess it's done now though.

ReputationRep:
    Declaring war on Murdoch? I see no problem with that, it's about time someone brought down Mr Burns.

"Cable declares war on Sky" says the thread title. Wording fail - think about it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0llima)
    "Cable declares war on Sky" says the thread title. Wording fail - think about it.

See edit.

Why does one oversight always then see an entire thread of people pointing it out and no discussion? Maybe it would be better if I just repost the thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Diaz89)
    Declaring war on Murdoch? I see no problem with that, it's about time someone brought down Mr Burns.
    Haha the resemblance is uncanny! Murdoch is the real-life equivalent of Mr Burns, except he's not funny.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craig_D)
    See edit.

Why does one oversight always then see an entire thread of people pointing it out and no discussion? Maybe it would be better if I just repost the thread?
    I think you can edit thread title, just go to edit as you normally would and change it from there

ReputationRep:
    Great thread title - I think he did it on purpose actually.

He's still is impartial, he's just realised that Murdoch seems to own every bloomin' media outlet in this country. Hopefully he'll have the balls to do what the competition commission has been unable to...

The only real issue here is political, Cameron is in the pocket of Murdoch - he was one of the first to visit the Big C at no.10 - basically a friendly visit to say "hey Cameron I got you here, you better start delivering"

ReputationRep:
    Aight so the Daily Telegraph, a publication with good reason to be critical of Rupert Murdoch and who even state in the article that they are opposed to his plans to take over BSkyB, has gone undercover to expose Vince Cable talking smack about Rupert Murdoch in a relevation which may end with Cable's resignation and Murdoch's bid for a majority share in BSkyB being successful? HEY YO GREAT TACTICS THERE TELEGRAPH

ReputationRep:
    :rofl: Brilliant!

ReputationRep:
    I think you can edit thread title
    But once pointed out in the thread itself it feels like cheating

ReputationRep:
    Daily Fail sources are saying that he has actually resigned, if this is the case then I wonder how the Gov will cope.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by smellysocks)
    Great thread title - I think he did it on purpose actually.

He's still is impartial, he's just realised that Murdoch seems to own every bloomin' media outlet in this country. Hopefully he'll have the balls to do what the competition commission has been unable to...

The only real issue here is political, Cameron is in the pocket of Murdoch - he was one of the first to visit the Big C at no.10 - basically a friendly visit to say "hey Cameron I got you here, you better start delivering"
    Well quite. Even still, I think the effect of the media is a little overstated. Not many people seem to watch Sky news, the Times was a little more subtle (the Sun I can't speak for as I didn't see any of its election headlines). I'm sure that Murdoch does pat himself on the back and ask Cameron to be grateful, but in practice I'm not sure he made a difference.

It's interesting that Lord Razzell & Dazzle claims Cable is still impartial and he meant only that he was handing it over to Ofcom, but in that case he wouldn't say that he would 'win'. It's clear that Cable meant he would deny it at all costs.

ReputationRep:
    I actually admire cable for it, even though im no real fan of his, i certainly hate the murdoch empire- complain about 'government control' through the bbc as much as you want, id rather have that than some senile right wing emperor telling me what i should do or think.

then again, as you can tell by most Sun readers, they are more than happy to do just that.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with Cable's stance on Murdoch and News International - one man controlling so much of our media and obviously exerting some measure of editorial control over it's content is genuinely worrying to me and I want Cable to step in. (actually, what I really want is the EU to step in and start ordering Murdoch to sell off his control of a few of his outlets)

However, he should resign - his position is completely untenable in the wake of today's comments alone, but especially in conjunction with the completely incoherent message he's put across on tuition fees for months now.

I also think it's worth noting that this is a huge own goal by the BBC. The Telegraph chose not to publish this originally for pretty obvious reasons (to stop Murdoch getting even more power), but the BBC's Robert Peston got a hold of the transcript and broke the story. Now it's entirely possible that Murdoch will get majority control over BSkyB and cement his grip on the British media.

ReputationRep:
    He declared war on Murdoch. Murdoch has generally been supportive of the tories. To the return the favour for the support, certain things need to be done:

I am a tory and very supportive of David Cameron and this coalition.

In the run up to the election, I was concerned with pro Murdoch rhetoric in the party which is why I was very glad of this coalition. Vince Cable declaring war on Murdoch is fantastic.

Personally, I would allow Murdoch to have full control but with strict regulation on impartiality. I wouldn't want a foxification of skynews. To the point, I would personally help grow the BBC commercial services, in particular bbc worldwide, I would allow or create a merger between the BBC, ITV and Channel 4 so that there is a blance to bskyb.

I was glad that Vince Cable was going to reject it. The fool publicly stated that he was going to reject even before OFCOM presented it's findings.

Now his decision will be referred to Jeremy Hunt, the culture sectary.

On a side note:

Although the Daily Telegraph reported on this, they did not release the whole script in particular the Murdoch takeover, in fact, they left that behind. I am assuming because they were waiting for the rejection. Once rejected, it would be up to them if they published it or not. It wouldn't have as much of an impact.

The release of Vince Cable comments about the takeover is way before the OFCOM findings, and the decision being made.

However, the BBC managed to get the full transcript and publish it. Therein lies the puzzle.
    All this week the BBC has been very supportive of Murdoch to the extent of even suggesting that Sky should be like Fox News.

Yet a few months or a year ago, the BBC and Murdoch really hated each other.

ReputationRep:
    Was this a clever, yet feckless, ploy to win back his fan base after the battering he's taken recently?

ReputationRep:
    What a stupid thing to do, but what do you expect from an arrogant Lib Dem MP. The Tories success in the elections were partially due to this man. Besides, you don't want to pick on a man of that stature. He owns half of the British and American media. He will rip Vince Cable and the coalition government apart.

ReputationRep:
    Funny how breaking your pledge to students isn't a resigning issue but being honest (and on the right side of an issue) is....

Ah politics huh?

Anyways he shouldn't have said it and has been dealt with very wisely indeed-excellent work from Cameron Now we just have to live with that idiot Hunt messing up the media.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.