Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    i have one recommended textbook which my lectutuere makes the lecture notes from, so after the lecture, i fill in any empty gaps from the textbook. Then I get another textbook, which is far more detailed and make breif notes and mainly use it for it's footnotes and then from the footnotes conduct the research, is this ok? i really want to get a high 2:1 or first this year! after thinking about it, i don't see the need for writing out more notes on the same topics, when i already have notes on it and understand it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trimmy)
    i have one recommended textbook which my lectutuere makes the lecture notes from, so after the lecture, i fill in any empty gaps from the textbook. Then I get another textbook, which is far more detailed and make breif notes and mainly use it for it's footnotes and then from the footnotes conduct the research, is this ok? i really want to get a high 2:1 or first this year! after thinking about it, i don't see the need for writing out more notes on the same topics, when i already have notes on it and understand it.
    I was advised to use as many sources as possible for essays so even if I had all the information I needed from 1 or 2 textbooks, I would seek out information from other textbooks and online journals even if the information was the same. Just token references really. Seems a bit stupid but if that's what the lecturer wants, give it to them.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds like a good approach to me

Personally, for revision purposes I like to have one set of notes on the computer and add to it as I read through further textbooks or journal articles.

You do need to think about journal articles if you want a high 2:1 or first (particularly in essay questions) though good textbooks will mention the key arguments of the most important ones (which is usually enough tbh)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jacketpotato)
    Sounds like a good approach to me

Personally, for revision purposes I like to have one set of notes on the computer and add to it as I read through further textbooks or journal articles.

You do need to think about journal articles if you want a high 2:1 or first (particularly in essay questions) though good textbooks will mention the key arguments of the most important ones (which is usually enough tbh)
    so what uni are you at i've been meaning to ask?

Yeah thats what i plan on doing come january on the weekends is get a textbook and go over it all adding bits to my notes, i've started doing bits now, which the additional textbook, saves alot of time, and is much less stress, i think 2 is enough

Plus instead of working all day like i used to im working 9-6 which makes my time spent on it so much more efficient.

so are you a first year, or a second year?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Did TEF Bronze Award affect your UCAS choices?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.